TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-02-2008, 08:17 PM   #1
ng2951

Default Fixing Rear Shell Latch on 3326

Hi,

I had a problem with the rear shell latch screws. One screw broke off and the other one got over stressed and stripped out that hole.

I managed to get the broken screw out. What I need to do now if fix the other hole. Should I glue a dowel in the hole and redrill?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3326 Full View.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	2996   Click image for larger version

Name:	3326 Latch.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	2997  
Old 10-03-2008, 07:07 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Wow! This issue hasn't showed up in quite a while. As I recall, we discussed a few instances of it 3 or 4 years ago, and TM insituted a design change to fix it. I'm surprised it is showing up on an '06 TM.

As I recall, the fix for this was to add a husky strap, maybe 3/4 inch wide and 6 inches long, through the latch. The strap was then screwed down (or up, in this case) in four places, with bigger screws.

You may have to Search to find the discussion, but it is back there somewhere. If I find it, I'll come back and add the link to this thread - but usually some else with more nimble fingers beats me to it!

Bill

[Edit - Here is one discussion, though I'm not sure it is directly applicable to your situation. But it did remind me to search using the term "stirrup" as well as "latch". http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=537].

And down toward the bottom of this thread http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3483, there is mention of a "new stronger stirrup kit" from the factory - I believe this is the one with the metal strap. Cherie (2bcs1jrt) seems to be the one who has the most experience. Perhaps she will jump in.

Aha! Here it is! Mike Laupp to the rescue, as he so often is! http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=2318]
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

If choose not to use the strap for some reason (which I think is probably the best way to fix the problem) and need to fill the old hole to accept a new screw, don't use a dowel because you'll end up screwing into the end grain of the dowel, which isn't strong. Instead, get some bamboo skewers at the grocery store, roll the tip of one in some epoxy, and insert it into the hole. Rough cut off the excess, roll the cut tip in some epoxy, and stick it into the hole also. Repeat this process until the hole is filled. Once dry, trim the skewers to be flush, and it will now take a screw, and will also be stronger than before.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote