TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tips and Tricks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
tshawah

Default Tips on backing into a campsite

Any helpful tips on backing into a campsite. My husband had so much trouble he just wants to only camp at a pull through. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 02-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

There are a hundred tips out there on how to do it. Some of the more useful ones:

- turn the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go
- anticipate where the trailer needs to go early; it doesn't turn on a dime like the front of your vehicle,
- the trailer will continue to go in its last intended direction for awhile even after your turn the wheel in the other direction.

But when I first started out backing trailers, none of these suggestions really mattered. IMHO, the only thing he can do to improve his skill is practice. Take the trailer to an open parking lot and practice backing into a specific parking space. Spend an hour there. Go back the next week and do it again.

It doesn't take too long to get it down -- after a few hours of that, he will likely be proficient. But practice is the only way.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Lots of practice and patience. Go very slowly. Check often to make sure that you aren't going to hit something. Get out often and look at where you are and where you want to be. Don't let others rush you.

The more you do it, the better you get. I'm still learning but get it a lot more than I used to. I can now pull into our driveway and pretty much back the trailer to within 6 inches or so of where it was before.

The person watching should mainly tell the person driving if they're going to hit something. Some of the places we park in are really hard to get into, even for DH.

Just keep trying and know that you'll get better.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I second B_and_D's suggestions.

Also, it should be noted that divorces have erupted from spouse/spouse interactions about backing up a trailer. So use caution.

The spotter should use specific detail as to the trailer/vehicle position. Say, "trailer needs to move 1 foot to the right", instead of "move to the right", the latter of which has very little value. Spacing your hands, and continually adjusting that spacing as the vehicle moves, to represent the space between the trailer or TV and some immovable object is VERY helpful.

The driver needs to realize the spotter is only trying to help the driver, nothing else. If it were not for the spotter, the driver would be significantly handicapped.

These need to be incorporated into regular marriage vows.

Due to our very tight driveway, my wife and I can now consistently park the TM within 1-3 inches of a concrete wall next to our house. It takes teamwork to do that.

Practice, practice, practice.

Dave
Old 02-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Al-n-Sue

I learned to back trailers as a teenager backing a boat trailer. The best technique that I learned was to put my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and move the wheel in the direction that I want the trailer to go. You can do this looking over your shoulder - which I did when I had my Starcraft popup because I could see over it. But with the TM all I see is the front of the trailer. So now I use the mirrors. It is a little harder - I sometimes have to figure out which way I want it to go - towards the outside of the mirror or towards the inside - but it works.

The other handy thing is to have your spotter use a 2 way radio. That way if they happen to get out of your site line, you can still hear them yell STOP! before you hit that tree.

And like the others say - practice, practice, practice.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-n-Sue View Post
I learned to back trailers as a teenager backing a boat trailer. The best technique that I learned was to put my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and move the wheel in the direction that I want the trailer to go. You can do this looking over your shoulder - which I did when I had my Starcraft popup because I could see over it. But with the TM all I see is the front of the trailer. So now I use the mirrors. It is a little harder - I sometimes have to figure out which way I want it to go - towards the outside of the mirror or towards the inside - but it works.

The other handy thing is to have your spotter use a 2 way radio. That way if they happen to get out of your site line, you can still hear them yell STOP! before you hit that tree.

And like the others say - practice, practice, practice.

This is also the way I learned many years ago & I still say it works best until someone has more experience backing a trailer.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Jim&Joan

Default Anybody wanta buy this trailer?

I am just getting back into trailering, so I am no expert, but I think you have gotten lots of solid advice here.

I had a couple of boats and stored them in a garage or dry shed. I also did regular trips with the scouts and we had trailers. Then for the last 15 years, no practice at all. So, as I come back to it, I can feel the rust. The instinct is gone and I have to think more right now. Both the trips we have made required backing in. The first trip I even backed in, decided I liked the next site over and pulled out, went around and did it in the other spot.

As my dive instructor and snipers say, "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast." In this case 'fast' equals 'it's over before it's nerve racking'.

We are using 2-ways, also. I should record the audio. DW's concept of ground control is pretty humorous. The last time the batteries were dead and just to hook up, she used hand signals. I had to get out of the truck before we finished. We both sat on a picnic table and almost wet our pants laughing as we both imitated each other's part of the process.

I am sure it will get better and I am thinking about doing some parking lot drills to regain some more feel.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
PopBeavers

I do it by myself. I don't trust anyone to help me. Ultimately, as the driver, if I hit anything it is my fault, no matter what the spotter said.

I usually first back down the center of the space to get out of the road so I am not blocking traffic. Then I get out and look around and decide exactly where I want it. This is almost always as far to the left and as far back as possible, trees permitting. Then I pull forward so I can back in as straight as possible.

I can always see at least one trailer wheel, so I know where it is at. What I can not see is how far back to go. If don't get help with the depth then I may have to get out several times to check it. If my blind brother-in-law is with me I place him at the left rear corner, cane in hand as my target and outstretched hand where I position it. I aim to hit the cane with the corner of the trailer. When the trailer touches his had he yells and I stop. He is my best spotter, because he understands what I am doing because he has backed trailers.

At home in the garage I have a mark on the floor where I place a wheel chock. I back in hugging the wall on the driver's side. I try to keep about 2 inches of clearance, maybe 3 at the most. When the wheel hits the chock I am done.

I have never had any problems backing. For me it has always been intuitively obvious. My wife on the other hand can not back well at all. My theory is that some people can visualize things in 3 dimensions (me) and some can not (DW).

I have explained to all members of the family that the most important thing they can do to help is that if they see a problem to yell STOP real loud and I will stop to take a look see at the situation.

One of these days I need to take my wife out and let her practice in a large parking lot. This should build confidence in a safe environment. It just seems to me that it is mostly an issue f practice and confidence.

Always go slow, so that if a mistake occurs, damage will be minimal.

Now that I said all that, I am terrible at backing 5th wheel trailer. TTs are easier to back, IMO.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I can always see at least one trailer wheel, so I know where it is at.
Once again, the need for adequate mirrors becomes apparent. As we have discussed endlessly on this board, when you are towing down the road, you should be able to see both sides of the TM without craning your neck (or performing the famous dipsy-doodle). Mirrors that don't stick out far enough to permit this are NOT adequate.

When you get to the campground, these same wide-spaced mirrors will contribute greatly to your ability to back into a space. Even if the trailer is turned, so you can't see one side, you can see the other. Trying to back in when you can't see either side of the trailer, relying completely on a spotter, is asking for trouble. Backing up is hard enough - backing blind just doesn't work, in my experience at least.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Once again, the need for adequate mirrors becomes apparent.
Agreed. I have found the McKesh mirrors to be invaluable. Frankly, I'd prefer mirrors that large even when driving around without a trailer. That's how much they improve visibility.

Dave