TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
ericluvskim04

Default Water in the Fuse/converter box by Tub

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has ever had a problem with water getting into the fusebox/converter area. My daughter got a shower the other night while we were camping in El Paso and my wife and I heard a few pops and saw a couple of sparks come from the vent/fuse box by the bathroom. I immediately killed the power and checked out what had happen. When I opened the box there was water dripping on the silver panel down into the converter or at least that is what I think is under the silver panel. I couldn't open the vent cover because I needed a star socket to get into the vent which I didn't have so I left that alone. Anyway I dried out the fusebox and notice not one fuse was burned. After a few hours I turned everything back on and had zero problems but it made us very nervous. I asked the daughter what she did and she said she was sitting down taking a shower and the water was hitting the back wall (the box is located under the bathtub on that end) while she lathered her hair. Now I now the shower curtain is not 100% water proof but I am just hoping the water seeped through the curtain, got into the crack where the walls come together and worked itself down into the box. My question is has this ever happen to anyone else? If so how did you fix it? I don't want anyone to get hurt. It just seems like a bad place to put a fusebox. I guess I could put a better shower curtain in the unit to keep that wall dry. I did rechalk the tub just in case and looked for any cracks. Everything looks fine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Eric Stone
Old 11-08-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Whoa Nellie! Bad stuff! Don't let this happen again!

My suggestion? Unplug shore power and disconnect the battery. Bring in a portable light on an extension cord so you can see. Pull the converter out of the wall (it is held in with 4 screws, as I recall). Set up the shower the way your daughter was using it, and spray lots of water. Stick your head into the converter opening (or use a mirror) and look for water. In fact, before you start, look for water tracks from the last time.

I don't have to tell you that water and electricity don't mix, especially when the third element is people.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote