TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2020, 01:31 PM   #1
rbhtrail
Site Sponsor

Default solar controller upgrade

Hello All, Has anyone removed the sink panel that houses all the control units ?
I would like to open it up providing access to all the devices, it looks like it's permanently installed. With my head under the sink, I've noticed several screwed in blocks that appear to be holding the panel in from behind. I want to fabricate something in a way that I can pull off the panel , do any necessary wiring and connect the pop on the panel once again. I'm thinking of a couple hinges and latches.
Has anyone done anything like this to the TM.
Thanks Much for any guidance you may be willing to offer. Bob
rbhtrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:28 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

That sounds like a nice idea. I don't know if anyone has thought about it, but I certainly haven't. In the current design, everything on that panel is a pain to get at.

A swing down panel, using a piano hinge along the bottom edge, and perhaps a couple of strong magnetic latches for closure, would be sturdy enough. And it would certainly be good looking if you glued appropriate trim strips along the top and side edges of the panel, so it looks finished when closed.

I'm looking forward to pictures.

Now, how does that relate to a solar controller upgrade?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:03 AM   #3
rbhtrail
Site Sponsor

Default solar controller upgrade

Hi Bill, Thanks for responding, Currently there is a dealer mounted 165watt Grape Solar controller mounted in between the ac recp./cable plate and the water heater switch. I want to upgrade the 165w controller to a 300w version, so that when I camp under trees I can add supplemental solar panels on an extended cord in the sun.
If I can remove the applied panel without damaging it, from the cabinets face frame I'll swap them out, add some drop down hinges and use rare earth magnets to hold the panel closed when not servicing the control devices from behind. Thanks for the magnet idea. I'll also include photo's of the work... Thanks again... Bob ...
Old 08-30-2020, 02:10 PM   #4
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Exclamation The 165 Watt 'Grape Solar Controller' is probably PWM ...

and therefore throws away all power which the Solar Panel(s) are generating above the desired 'battery charging voltage.

If your solar panels are 18.5 volts during peak production times, but your controller wants to deliver only 14.2 volts into your batteries, then your wasted power (power left in the panels by actually disconnecting them, thousands of times per second) ... is about 30%.

PWM controllers are simple, much cheaper and small enough to fit into the panel under the sink. But, if you can find a place to mount a bigger panel, an MPPT panel would only lose about 5% of panel power - converting the other Solar power into MORE useful current at 14.2 volts.

See full explanations PWM and MPPT solar controllers in this Thread, posts #1 and #2: https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...71&postcount=1
Old 08-30-2020, 06:42 PM   #5
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I have pulled it out, but left wires alone. I added a voltage metter next to the panels that would turn on with the test switch. Very nice to have when winter camping with no electric hookup.

There a lot on thin wires with small conectors. I'm not sure I want to play with those wires with my big paws.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:28 AM   #6
rbhtrail
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
and therefore throws away all power which the Solar Panel(s) are generating above the desired 'battery charging voltage.

If your solar panels are 18.5 volts during peak production times, but your controller wants to deliver only 14.2 volts into your batteries, then your wasted power (power left in the panels by actually disconnecting them, thousands of times per second) ... is about 30%.

PWM controllers are simple, much cheaper and small enough to fit into the panel under the sink. But, if you can find a place to mount a bigger panel, an MPPT panel would only lose about 5% of panel power - converting the other Solar power into MORE useful current at 14.2 volts.

See full explanations PWM and MPPT solar controllers in this Thread, posts #1 and #2: https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...71&postcount=1
Thanks Rick for the link that explains the differing controllers and their uses. I'll go into the details of the controller upgrade into the sink panel at a later date as the details were extensive and I want to include pictures per Bills recommendation.