TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
thewayneo

Location: Evergreen, Colorado. Halfway between Heaven and Paradise at 8,100 ft altitude.
Default Replace Thetford w/Sealand 711-M28C?

6/27/2012 THE INFORMATION PERTAINING TO THE FIRST INSTALLATION OF THIS TOILET HAS BEEN UPDATED AND PUT IN A TUTORIAL FORM IN THE TM TECHNICAL LIBRARY - THE FORUM SECTION TITLED "INFORMATION YOU WON'T FIND ANYWHERE ELSE".http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...5575#post95575

Around Post number 36 in this thread, this first installation was completed, and now other members who install this toilet will hopefully add their input.

NOTE: Shrimp Burrito talked about this topic back in 2010!

I couldn't figure out which of the NEARLY 300 threads concerning "Thetford" to attach this to, so I started another! WOW--300! I've read thru at least 290 of them and this still seems like the best permanent replacement!

Now that the winter camping season is over, I have until October to work on my bucket list of “creature comfort” improvements. The toilet continues to be the one huge irritating problem with Trailmanor. It would be so nice to have a toilet usable not only for number 1 but also number 2! Throughout the winter we've used the “shovel method” exclusively for number 2, which just doesn't seem consistent with a $30K RV. So I'm back to researching the Dometic/Sealand 711-M28 C that comes standard in Scamp trailers. The “C” is what gets a bottom discharge instead of side marine discharge. This toilet will luckily just fit CENTERED in the space between the shower tub and the sink cabinet with barely an inch to spare. Note that the Thetford is installed OFF-CENTERED by about 1-1/2 inches towards the shower tub. Venting can go thru the trailer floor and out. The slide valve discharge to evacuate the holding tank is relocated under the floor (outside) unlike the Thetford.

Some of the schematics that Sealand provides are not for the “C” model, so from talking to the factory I find that the tank discharge hole is centered in the bottom of the holding tank, and even though I can order a tank without the hole in the bottom, I CANNOT cut the hole where I want it (off centered), since there's a molded-in indent and friction welding involved. So what this all boils down to is the existing drain pipe needs to be moved about 1-1/2 inches towards the front of the trailer (I can do that), and also 1-1/2 inches in from the side WHERE IT WOULD COLLIDE WITH THE TRAILER FRAME! Talk about bad luck!!!---stymied by 1-1/2 inches!!! Cut away the frame?--no. Maybe raise the whole toilet a couple inches and use some sorta offset drain pipe adapter thing? I hate it when a simple project turns risky, complicated, AND expensive! But I still REALLY want a REAL toilet REALLY BAD!

I hung out at Home Depot a while and lo and behold--I find an offset floor flange! Is 3" home ABS pipe and fittings the same as RV pipe and fittings?

wayneo

2006 2619, with REAL Flush Toilet (Sealand), NEVER ANY HOOKUPS!!!
Five-inch lift, Goodyear Marathon 15" Made in USA!
2005 Ford Explorer V8 -- WDH w/active sway
1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
thewayneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Did you see this post from the Shrimp Burrito:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...t=scamp+toilet

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
thewayneo

Location: Evergreen, Colorado. Halfway between Heaven and Paradise at 8,100 ft altitude.

That one from 2006? And 289 others! Actually ALL of them, several times over and over!

1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
Old 05-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewayneo View Post
That one from 2006? And 289 others!
Uhhh, no. The one countrygirl directly linked for you is from 2010 and expressly talks about the very toilet in which you inquired.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
thewayneo

The '06 date was your join date—my big oops!

I edited my previous post to give you credit for talking about this topic back in 2010. I and a few other folks talked about it too but nothing really happened.

I'm hoping to move forward now, forward with this project with new questions, new information, new input. I maybe got a little too detail-y and wordy, so in a nutshell:

Has anybody found any better option than the Sealand 711M28 “C” for a permanent install?

In 2010, you weren't quite sure the toilet would fit side-to-side, I think it will just barely, might be hard on the left elbow? Also, the 3-inch drain pipe won't screw right in because of interference with the frame. Also, they say I will have to order from ARDEMCO, not Scamp. Ardemco doesn't know why the install instructions say to cut a 10” hole in the floor, they say the bottom is flat.

I'll talk to Sealand again on Wednesday.

My idea to use an offset floor flange won't work (like so many of my great ideas)..

So if anybody else has input, info, ideas, cautions, interest, or other helpfulness that could move this FORWARD lets private message about it. If it works out, I might have a spare Thetford, pm me if interested before I smash it to bits! (lol)!

wayneo

1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
Old 05-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

wayneo - no need to worry about giving me credit. I just wanted to be sure you saw that thread, as it had some detailed info. Also, if you or anyone else ends up pursuing this, I certainly would hope you would have a discussion about it here, and especially post a summary if you end up installing one. The Thetford is probably the most talked about appliance in the TM, and lots of people would be interested in your solution - I guarantee it!

I don't know about the drain hole lineup as I didn't get that far -- once I did the math and realized it would be much heavier and use a fair amount fresh water, which is in precious supply with my 20 gal tank, I decided against it.

There have been a number of folks here that have replaced the Thetford with something permanent. They install black tanks underneath, or just use a grey tote on the ground. Someone even just put a rug over the drain hole and put a cassette toilet on top -- honestly, that sounds like the track I might pursue if I ever became further motivated to replace the Thetford.

I use the Thetford for all my waste needs (does that sound a commercial or what?), and after completely removing the vinyl skirt, I'm pretty content with it. Feel free to PM me for details if you don't want to discuss them here.

Dave
Old 05-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #7
robertkennel

I'm glad your putting time into it because I will be next. I think you can also order that toilet from West Marine. When I'm done with the kitchen remodel, the toilet change out is the next project. I printed the owner's manual from Shrimps posted link. I didn't know if it would even fit. It's good to know it fits but bad news on the line up of the drain. I hope you come up with a solution. I can't believe 1-1/2 inches is going to stop us. Thanks for your post! Robert

Where did you get the dimension of the pipe center from the edge of the holding tank? I don't see that measurement in the owner's manual. I wonder if you use a 45 degree angle pipe and raised the toilet a couple of inches, then maybe you could achieve the offset. Of course you would have to cut the half inch closer to the frame to get as much room as possible.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
thewayneo

Thanks Robert.

From the dimensions, it says 17-1/8" front to back. Sealand says the hole is centered, so about 8-1/2 to center of pipe. I tried to "reckon" that with Electromagic specs that say 19-13/16 front to back, but when I actually measure mine I only get 16 - 17". So I don't trust specs accuracy. If the factory can easily move the hole just a bit, I'll have room to spare and it'll go fairly easy. If not, plan "B" kicks in. Also, there seems to be a couple different install instructions kickin around. Shrimp Burrito had a thumbnail attached calling it a "Travelor" with the 10 x 10 hole and I hope to clear that up with the factory today.

Anyway, I thoroughly appreciate and need all input!

1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
Old 05-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewayneo View Post
Also, there seems to be a couple different install instructions kickin around. Shrimp Burrito had a thumbnail attached calling it a "Travelor" with the 10 x 10 hole and I hope to clear that up with the factory today.
I seem to recall that the version Scamp sold was different in some way from the ones other places sold. Maybe it was that theirs simply had a discharge hole at the bottom of the tank, as I believe other versions were intended for a boat and thus simply had a pump out fitting that would connect to the port above deck.

Sounds like you are on a roll! Can't wait to hear more!

Dave
Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
thewayneo

LATE BREAKING NEWS FLASH----I put in an order for the 711 today!!!!!!!! The factory will move the discharge pipe a whopping 2" for me. So now it just needs to get made, shipped from Ohio to California to Colorado.

No 10 x 10 hole needed.

Sealand---there are no install instructions for the "C" model! That's helpful!!

1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin