TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2022, 09:07 PM   #21
Hdlaut

I used to have a sailboat and I had 800ah of Victron batteries. In the sailing lithium forum, the Winston cells seemed to be the most consistently high quality.

I am open to other ideas. What is the cost of the cells you are using?
Hdlaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:21 AM   #22
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default My current Source is Docan-USA. JoeyCharismatic has built a 48v Victron configuration

They have several models of EVE, and 302Ah from CATL in USA stock. Here: https://www.docanpower.com/index.php...ry&path=60_154 On the LFP battery forum which I take part in, I have seen reported issues with high-current 12v applications on many models of welded-stud batteries, sometimes resolved by using conductive aluminum washers around the base "shelf". But Docan-USA does offer the 280N with old-style screw-in studs (and that is the model which I would prefer to use in that size). The Eve "N" cells have better lifespan than the older "K" cells. The 302-304Ah CATL cells are prone to swelling, and definitely need compression applied. In that slightly larger size, I would prefer EVE - but I'd really recommend staying down at 280Ah, to get those flat screw-in-stud connectors (avoiding the welded on top designs).

The welded studs from Eve do allow for much higher torque, almost 24 ft-lbs in comparison to slightly less than 8 ft-lbs for the screw in studs. On my DIY-Solar forum, I have promised to test my upcoming 230Ah battery pack with 1C continuous current for a few minutes (with good bus bars), and use a thermometer to "feel" for heat created by high current through those weld-on stud posts. If I detect a problem, I'll go ahead and add washers to reduce its scope.

I do not recommend use of either brand's largest cells (304Ah and 302Ah) in high-current 12v applications, due to the welded studs.
- - -
800Ah is pretty big. If you want to go that large (or even larger) and your TM model has a rear battery compartment (my small 2619 doesn't have one of those), you could go all-out and install a Victron MultiPlus-II power center, which is generally used to manage 48v battery banks with 12v DC applications. (That would replace the WFCO converter, except for the DC fuse Board).

Did your boat have one of those? JoeyCharimatic, from Florida, has very recently put one of those into his TM Trailer, using 16 304Ah cells. That's the equivalent of 1216 Ah of "12V" batteries. His Thread is mis-located with the "Solar Power section", here: https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ad.php?t=20779. He has some photos in post number 6. Victron offers both 48v and 24v versions, but the best route to a smaller battery pack is almost definitely staying at 48v, while reducing the size of individual cells.

Welded studs on batteries don't matter in a 48v TM configuration, because the current is 4x smaller.
Old 03-17-2022, 10:32 AM   #23
Hdlaut

I don't want 800ah for my trailmanor, thanks, I was just speaking of recent experience. I no longer have the boat, but I did have a Victron Multiplus and Color Controller.

I am interested in the 230ah cells. Are you still planning to offer the full, top balanced battery with compression, heater and BM?
Hdlaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 03:29 PM   #24
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Not selling built batteries, but assisting in construction of your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdlaut View Post
I don't want 800ah for my trailmanor, thanks, I was just speaking of recent experience. I no longer have the boat, but I did have a Victron Multiplus and Color Controller.

I am interested in the 230ah cells. Are you still planning to offer the full, top balanced battery with compression, heater and BM?
I won't build another one as a shipping and sold item, but I can definitely help you construct one of your own. This is a very long post.

3 questions arise.

#1, will you want compression from both sides, or only one side? In my previous battery builds, I have put "balanced" spring assemblies on both sides. The only advantage of that practice is less movement by expanding batteries (they only shift from the centerline outwards, over the width of two cells).

In contrast, this time I plan to build with compression springs on only one side, the plate on the other side being held tight against the rods by solid nuts and washers (no springs). This reduces the cost for springs, simplifies the assembly, and eliminates the extra inch of pack width from one side (where the 2nd set of springs doesn't stick out anymore). The disadvantage is having more cell movement by the 3rd and 4th cells of the expanding pack. But the "balanced scheme" still required one end to move free in comparison to the other. I now feel that "balanced" compression springs should probably only be used in much larger battery packs, with more than 8 cells. Good compression springs cost a small fortune, and "balanced" schemes require twice as many of them.

#2, I now recommend JDB BMS. This 4S pack should have either a 200A BMS or a 250A BMS. I'll be building my own with a 250A Daly, which I already have. The BMS should not be the limiting factor on battery current, it should be limited by a fuse (preferably class-T) which can blow before the BMS detects excessive current.

#3, Although both of my battery packs have heater pads installed, I've never wanted to use them, and my "automated + manual override circuit" is extremely complicated. BMS "protects" the battery from being charged below about 38 degrees anyway. I'm now inclined to disconnect all of the "automation" and just wire the heater pads through a switch (which I will probably never use). In very cold mornings, Solar provides very little power before 9:30 AM standard time, and I have been letting BMS assure that it doesn't get into the batteries. But my batteries are internal to the TM insulation, under the dining bench. If yours will be in the somewhat more exposed "exterior" compartment, we can come up with a different scheme. Will you often face sub-freezing mornings?
- - -
The battery face size is 174mm wide x 207.3mm tall, about 56 square inches. The total compression should start at 12 PSI, being 672 lbs. The best spring to do this, fitting 3/8" big box store threaded round tube, is here: https://www.thespringstore.com/catal...in/category/2/ Qty = 6 costs about $48.

To spread the compression evenly over the face of the "end" battery cells< I have two strategies. The more perfect, but very heavy, is to use steel plates at both ends (insulated from the battery cases by a thin sheet of plastic.) The less effective but lighter and cheaper method is to connect each pair of compression bolts (3 horizontal pairs on each side) is to use some C-channel or square bars across a piece of plywood covering the batteries. Square bars would naturally bend less, but that property might be pretty severely compromised by cutting holes for 3/8" round tube. C channels bend quite a lot, due to the limited height of the sides. That's probably worse, although the steel can be purchased.

I'm going to try the square channel segments first (over 3/4 plywood), and see if there are obvious problems occurring across the width. If there are, then I'll be switching back to steel plates.
- - -
Depending on your power usage, 230Ah may or may not supply a generous buffer for energy use in cloudy-day boondocks. I'm uncomfortable with "only" about 225Ah in my own current usage, but I want to do some piggy things through an upgraded Inverter. What is your expected power usage, and do you have other sources (Solar, Inverter/Generator) to fill in any gaps?