TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-23-2003, 07:59 AM   #1
Brightsu
Site Sponsor

Default Camping for the first time without full hookup

We will be camping at the beach with only water and electric, next to the showers, so this is a good thing, but how does one use the dump site upon leaving? We've always had full hookup and a little concerned about this, I've heard some of you talk about a container, but this seems to me a real challenge. Please advise.

Pam ???
Brightsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 09:31 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Camping for the first time without full hookup

Presuming there is a dump station on your way out, all you have to do is pull the handle at the base of the toilet, just before you close the TM. Close the TM, drive to the dump station, connect your sewer hose, pull the handle on the black water drain valve (the large one) and drain til it's empty. Close it, and then pull the handle on the gray water drain valve (the small one). Drain until it's empty and close it. Remove the sewer hose from the connector. Using the water hose at the dump station (usually marked "Nonpotable - do not drink!&quot, rinse everything, including the inside and outside of the sewer hose, and shoot some waterr up into the drain pipe on the TM. Put the cap on the TM's drain pipe, put the sewer hose back in its storage compartment, rinse off the concrete apron at the dump station, throw away the disposable gloves you are wearing, and drive away.

When you get home, it is desireable to open the TM, close the slide valve at the base of the toilet, and rinse the bowl. Some people dump their next bottle of toilet chem into the toilet at this point.

See the FAQ for more detail.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 10:41 AM   #3
mamabear

Just wanted to add please make sure sewer hose is aways down in the dump drain hole. When you open the valve there is a surge of yuck coming out and it can make your hose pop out of the hole. I just kinda stand to the side and lightly put my foot on the sewer hose so it can't come out. My husband was bending down holding the hose in the 1st time we dumped and got a good wiff of the dump drain smell . I thought he was going to get sick, I really thought it was funny. The next time we camped he made the excuse he was going to the restroom and had me dump. It wasn't no big deal. Please make sure you rinse your hose or it will get stinking( my husband for got that the 1st time. I found it a couple days later when I was repacking for next trip. I just went and rinsed it with bleach water and the garden hose.

mamabear
Old 10-23-2003, 05:09 PM   #4
Brightsu
Site Sponsor

Thank you so much, I feel alot better about the whole thing.

Pam
Old 10-23-2003, 08:28 PM   #5
efelker

Pam:

Saw a good idea a Trailer Life "10 Minute Tech" book. Carry a sand bag with you (doesn't have to be a big one). Put it on top of the hose fitting at the dump site to keep the hose from popping out when you dump (I guess that's as oppossed to pooping out -- figuratively and literally). That way you don't have to stand there with your foot on it.

Ed
Old 10-24-2003, 05:56 AM   #6
Brightsu
Site Sponsor

Good idea, (I scoop kitty poop all the time) and I guess that wouldn't be the same and I don't think I want to find out.

Pam
;D
Old 10-24-2003, 07:35 AM   #7
arknoah

I've also had the experience of having the sewer hose bend like a snake when dumping the black water, so I hold the bracket where it attaches to the sewer outlet for the first second or two, because once, it twisted loose! Fortunately, it was after we moved more aggressively to minimizew the solid waste in the toilet, so I didn't smell a thing, and since no one but Ellen saw it, I wasn' event embarrased, though I felt a little stupid.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:15 PM   #8
Happytrails

There is a new sewer hose out there, I *think* it's called a "Rhino" hose. It looks just like any standard sewer hose, BUT one big difference, it actually functions just like a bendable sipping straw! Basically when ya pull a standard sewer hose outta a box, it comes flopping right outta the box. This one you physically have to pull it apart. This way, if you have a 10' hose, and only 5' to the cleanout, you only pull out 5 feet of it, the rest remains in the "shrunken" form. Makes it MUCH easier to store as well as it will retain whatever shape you put it in. It's also made of a bit tougher plastic as well and will hold up really good. After you're done with it, you push it all back together, and can carry it like a short 3" tube. From looking at how firm it is, seems it would resist the "whoosh" as well when ya pull the handles.....Word of warning though, the "ribs" on them run in the opposite direction from the standard hoses, so if you use the screw type connectors, they won't work with it. Hope this helps!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails..........[/glow]