TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Default Recertifying propane tanks

I have not seen any post on this topic and am wondering if anyone has had it done. I believe after 12 years this must be done or you cannot get them filled. It would be worth knowing when yours need to be done before heading out on a trip!

I had heard it can be rather costly. I have the horizontal tanks that for some reason are much more expensive than normal tanks so I figure I will try and get them recertified when the time comes.

Interestingly when I was getting propane in Wyoming the guy there does it for $5. I could not believe it. However, when he was filling my tanks he mentioned that he could not get something for the horizontal tanks. I don't remember what it was, could have been a seal. I assumed it was something for rectification. He got called away and I never got to follow up. Anyway I would be interested if anyone has had theirs done and what it cost.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
MisterP

Recertification is supposed to include a valve change and a leak test after purging and refill. Sometimes the tank will be pressure tested, but I think that is the exception rather than the standard.

I have not had my horizontals tested yet, but I assumed the cost difference has to do with the diptube on the valve required for horizontal use.

After recertification, tanks are supposed to be done every five years after. So, if you can find new tanks for about twice the cost of recertifying, then replace them, it's more cost effective.

A word of general caution, never turn old propane tanks into compressed air tanks. Compressed air tanks are epoxy coated on the inside and have a water drain at the bottom. Propane tanks are uncoated mild steel, because propane is very dry. The water in compressed air will rust out a propane tank, and if dropped or shocked it can detonate. There have been fatalities over the years. Personally, they should ban the retrofit kits I have seen to turn any old tank into air tanks. It's a very dangerous thing to do.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:35 AM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

We aren't looking forward to the re-cert although we have about 9 years to go. While getting a tank refilled in
showlow last year the dealer had a new tank for $180

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
bvmcbid

Default Five year?

When we were in Custer, SD this year, a local propane dealer said that he could not fill tanks older than five years old. We were ok (just) but I wondered what experiences others have had. Are regulations different state by state? Both certification and replacement of these horizontal tanks look ridiculously expensive.

Steve

TM: 2008 2720SD, Lift kit, 15" 225/75 R15 Marathon tires, 507 Truck System Tech. TPMS, swing tongue
TV: 2004 Toyota 4Runner V8 4wd "Moose"

TM History: 2004 3124KB
bvmcbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Default Re-certification of horizontal tanks-Not

My local propane tank dealer & filler says the DOT (ie everywhere in the USA) has exempted horizontal 20 lb. propane tanks from the conversion to OPD valves and from re-certification because the industry does not have conversion and/or re-certification parts kits available.

In the USA Vertical tanks must be re-certified at 12 years from the date stamped on the tank and every 5 years thereafter....but not Horizontal tanks.

Apparently this is because the OPD valve was developed for vertical tanks and a vertical OPD valve cannot be used on a horizontal tank. I'm sure this is true but it all puzzles me because my 2009 Manchester horizontal tanks both have OPD valves. My dealer says that is true because all tanks manufactured after a certain date had to have OPD valves but there are no replacement horizontal OPD valves available for re-certification.....huh? Sounds like the DOT is a division of the IRS or some other Gumn't dis-functional outfit.

My dealer says there is so much confusion in the industry that many fillers simply do not know the correct information.

The following link is helpful;
<http://www.damouth.org/RVStuff/OPD.shtml#Recent>

Jerry
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
MisterP

On a quick search I saw a comment that horizontal tanks can be labeled as exempt. Not sure if that is a federal or state thing. I may call my local propane distributor here in Floriduh and ask about it. A label would at the least reduce confusion when looking for refills.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

I had an approximately 10 to 12 y/o 20 lb propane tank re-certified this summer. I think all they did was a pressure check, visual inspection, but no valve replacement. The tank has been mine since new and looks almost new as well. They did engrave a new certification # on the collar and I believe it was all of $9.50 for the service. Maybe Colorado is less stringent on this, but I thought that was better than $30.00 for a new tank at Sam's.
Mark
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm trying to find an actual source of factual information on recertification of propane tanks, and not having much luck. It should be somewhere in either the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) or NPGA (National Propane Gas Association) web site. Most RV discussion boards are full of misinformation and rumor, so I don't consider them particularly useful.

Dave Damouth's article on the topic is good, but it is also 11 years old, and deals primarily with OPD valves, not recertification. A lot has changed in the past 11 years. He mentions the horizontal tank exemption from the OPD requirement (but not the recertification requirement), but also notes that it applies only to tanks manufactured before 1998 - not much help.

Does anyone know of a real source of info?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

This is what the propane dealer did for my leaking valves:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=12913

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
....I'm trying to find an actual source of factual information on recertification of propane tanks,....Does anyone know of a real source of info?.....
Try this: http://www.damouth.org/RVStuff/OPD.shtml

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote