TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
luvmymanor1
BannedUsers

Default will the following hurt the TM frame???

can you tow the TM in an open position to go dump??? or will this hurt the frame? is it designed to do this?
luvmymanor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:32 AM   #2
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmymanor1 View Post
can you tow the TM in an open position to go dump???
It has been done.

Quote:
or will this hurt the frame?
No

Quote:
is it designed to do this?
No

I don't recommend it. If you attempt this, go very slowly and watch that the front shell does not contact the TV when turning.

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Quote:
can you tow the TM in an open position to go dump??? or will this hurt the frame? is it designed to do this?
I have towed my 2010 3326 while open about 1/2 mile from a paved campsite along a paved campground road to the paved RV dump site. I towed it slowly and was careful with the turn radius so the upper shell did not contact the TV. It all worked well with no known damage.

I do not think the TM was designed to allow this but it did work once for us.

Remember, the entire weight of each shell is supported by four spindly struts and each shell is prevented from folding by two tiny aluminum pins.

I think the weakest points for vertical loads (bouncing) are the strut attachments to the torsion bars at the bottom and to the shells at the top. The bottom is a friction attachment and can move if the load on them is greater than the friction caused by the clamping force of the four bolts on each strut. The attachments at the top are 1/4" diameter bolts passing through the aluminum/foam side walls of the upper shells.

I can imagine one or two struts sliding down on the torsion bars a little from the bouncing as it is towed. If that happens, the shells will need to be adjusted to make them level again. On the other hand, if the upper attachment bolts tear up through the upper shell side wall, that's a much bigger problem.

The weakest points for horizontal loads (acceleration and braking) are the pins in the aluminum bars that are swung into place when you latch the tops into open position. They could shear off if the start up acceleration or the stopping deceleration is too great.

I guess I'm saying we did it once but I'll probably not do it again....unless I need to. However.... the 3326 top shells are much heavier than those on the shorter models so maybe you can get away with it.

I'm curious what TrailManor's Ed would say. I'm too lazy to ask.

For what it's worth,

Jerry
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
PopBeavers

I watched as a repair shop moved my 2720 . The top shells both moved side to side about 6 inches as measured at the top of the roof.

I did not like seeing that and will not repeat that.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
ng2951

I would not do it either. If you look at how the shells are locked into place it is really the flaps that will be keeping the shells and sliding parts in place. The back bed will be knock up against the wardrobe and the bathroom wall.

I think it is huge bad idea. Going slow might minimize the chance of hurting something, but the damage the other driver did to my 3326 is around $15,000.

I think the portable tank waste tank is worth what little money it costs...
Old 06-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
rumbleweed

Quote:
You don't say what year/model TM, but you do not have to open the shells to dump the head if you pull the toilet "T" handle just before you close up.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
luvmymanor1
BannedUsers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
You don't say what year/model TM, but you do not have to open the shells to dump the head if you pull the toilet "T" handle just before you close up.
wonder what would happen if you were to forget the "t" handle pulled??? would the stuff dry out? that would not be a good thing.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #8
ng2951

Quote:
wonder what would happen if you were to forget the "t" handle pulled??? would the stuff dry out? that would not be a good thing.
If you are like the rest of us, after a few times having open the TM to pull the handle (like a dang idiot) you finally remember.

I am not sure it would dry out easily. You have got several gallons of water on with everything so that would take a while. On the other hand, I would dump it as soon as I could.

Like I said in another post, I had problems with the internal dump valve and did not realize it was stuck in the open position (thank goodness). All I had to do was pull the external handle to dump to toilet and that valve seems a lot more rugged than the internal one...
Old 06-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
luvmymanor1
BannedUsers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
If you are like the rest of us, after a few times having open the TM to pull the handle (like a dang idiot) you finally remember.

I am not sure it would dry out easily. You have got several gallons of water on with everything so that would take a while. On the other hand, I would dump it as soon as I could.

Like I said in another post, I had problems with the internal dump valve and did not realize it was stuck in the open position (thank goodness). All I had to do was pull the external handle to dump to toilet and that valve seems a lot more rugged than the internal one...

mnnn yeah, that would be me

what I meant by forgetting was... pulling the "t" handle inside, dumping and then forgetting to close the "t" handle when you get home and recharging the toilet. so now you have a condition where some straglers were left behind... shall we say left behind hangin dry? sorry for the visual but now someone has to go in there and scrape. I'd hate to be the one who has to do this.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
moaboy

I would not want to purchase a TM that had been moved while it was open. And that is a question I would ask a seller before I bought a used TM.
While I'd entertain a numner of ideas - this is not one of them.
If you are game-let us know how it goes-in case I have to flee a flash flood and then I might do it....