TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
ronanderson

Default Hello from Virginia

We are new rvers and now the owners of a 2008 2720sl, although not yet in our possession. we are going to florida next week to pick it up,and thanks to this forum I have gained a lot of useful info. I am in the process of putting together a must have tool box and would welcome any suggestions. I have considerable boat towing experence but not with electric brakes. thanks and look forward to meeting some of you on the road.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
rumbleweed

Smile

Check with the owners, If not included with the TM I suggest the following at least for the trip back to VA.

13/16 Lug wrench unless your TV has a 13/16 wrench
Good bottle jack 4 ton should work Don't trust TV Jack
Spare tail light bulbs
Check air pressure in spare in case you need it.
If you have a small volt-ohm meter that would come in handy if you have an e-brake problem
Do you have a brake controller on your TV?
Towing mirrors for TV if not equipped.
Should not be an issue as TM is 08, but make sure battery has a good charge as it powers the break away brakes if needed,
I carry a 1" wide ratchet strap long enough to go around TM ( can use two if shorter) to hold top shell down in case a latch lets go.
Basic hand tools

These are precautions in case you have any issues but are all things you will probably want sooner or later.

Enjoy your new toy.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
PopBeavers

Check your tow vehicle to determine if the 12 volt hot lead for charging the traielr batteries has power to it. Sometimes it is disconnected.

I have used my TM corner jacks to change a flat. I do not carry an extra jack. I did have to use the hand crank, because my cordless drill would not lift the load.

I have a small case of hand tools that I always carry, but since March 2005 I do not recall ever usignt hem on the TM.

The screws on the TM require a square head. My TM came with a special screw driver. See if the seller has one that goes with the trailer.

In case you have a problem with the latches, take along some straps or rope. I would guess that 30 feet is enough to wrap around the TM. I only suggest this because you may not know the true condition of the trailer. For lack of an inexpensive part you might otherwise be stuck somewhere.

Tire pressure gauge, so you will know how much are is in the TM tires. Do not trust a kick the rubber test.

Make sure the brake controller in your TV is operational.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:29 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I have a small case of hand tools that I always carry, but since March 2005 I do not recall ever using them on the TM.
That's because you have them with you. Try leaving home without them ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
lnussbau

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post

The screws on the TM require a square head. My TM came with a special screw driver. See if the seller has one that goes with the trailer.

Curious -- all the screws I've encountered on my 2006 2720SL are Phillips head.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Larry -

If you look at them closely, you'll find that the screw heads have square sockets, with a bit of a slot cut out of each corner. This means that a Phillips screwdriver will work, but only if the screw is not really very tight. If you run into a tight one (and admittedly they are few), a Phillips driver will strip it out.

A set of square drive drivers (I think there are 3 sizes in a common set) costs only a few bucks. I'm thinking less than $5 from someplace like Harbor Freight, and maybe $10 from Ace Hardware. In my opinion, it is worthwhile. A stripped screw is an instant problem.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tool screw head (Small).jpg
Views:	357
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	3432  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:44 AM   #7
ronanderson

thanks for the good advise. I have added a 7-way and prodigy brake controller to my 2003 tundra V8 4X4 which should handle a 2720 pretty well.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
lnussbau

I'll take a closer look, Bill -- thanks.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:37 AM   #9
Redwolf

Default virginia

Ron, you live in Virgina right, we are travel for the first time in our trailmanor to virginia this August, any suggestions on where to see? Matt
Old 06-29-2009, 05:47 AM   #10
boggsryan

Default Virginia

Redwolf,
I live in Chesapeake, VA (not far from the ocean). There is tons to do and see in VA so it really depends on what part you are going to. You have the beach in Va Beach, the colonial settings in Williamsburg (Busch Gardens amusement park also), much civil war and presidential history (the surrender at Appomatox Court House and many other battles), you will be close to DC if you visit the north part of the state. The Blue Ridge mountains run through western VA and are really beautiful (especially in the fall, August is a bit too soon to catch the leaves changing but it is still a great place to camp). There is a bunch more but let us know what part of Virginia you are planning on visiting and we can probably have more specific recommendations.

Bob