TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
movinmom

Default Question re:2002 2619 Model

Hi,

We have been thinking about buying a TM for a couple of years and I just came across a 2002 2619 for a pretty good price. However, being new to all this(having been tent campers), what are some pros and cons to buying this model. We are on a tight budget, and I know that TMs hold their value, but I don't want to go into this blindly.

Any feedback/input would be greatly appreciated since we are so new to this.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

PROS: It's the smallest and lightest of the later model TMs. That means you'll have the easiest time maneuvering through tight places like parking lots, forest service campgrounds, etc., and put less strain on your TV. They are also probably the least expensive model due to their smaller size.

CONS: The rear bed is a full bed instead of a queen found in the other models. Also, on most models, there is ordinarily a rear storage compartment underneath the rear bed -- half is accessible from the inside, half from the outside. The 2619 lacks this compartment. Other than that, the 2619 is identical to the 2720 in every way. If it's in good shape and it's a good price, I would snag it if you are ok with the smaller rear bed. The storage is nice, but you can easily do without it.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
movinmom

Default Problems with wood framing?

I've read several places that around 2000-2002 that these models have wood framing instead of aluminum framing, and that there was some problem with the framing rotting away. Anyone had a 2002 model with the wood framing or does anyone have any experience with this? I'm really afraid of getting ripped off and getting home and going what did I just get myself into?
Thanks for any and all advice.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
Al-n-Sue

Default Wood rot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinmom View Post
I've read several places that around 2000-2002 that these models have wood framing instead of aluminum framing, and that there was some problem with the framing rotting away. Anyone had a 2002 model with the wood framing or does anyone have any experience with this? I'm really afraid of getting ripped off and getting home and going what did I just get myself into?
Thanks for any and all advice.
The issue with the wood framing is the potential for rot. If the trailer has been maitained and there have been no or few leaks, the wood should be in excellent condition. There are lots of pre-2003 TMs on the forum with no problems at all. 2003 was when TM started using aluminum framing instead of wood.

An easy way to check is to check a few screws that go into the framing and see if they hold. Or take one out and see if the wood is soft. Other posts on the forum can be more precise on how to do this check. A search on "wood rot" or "wood frame" should turn up something. also search on pre-purchase check lists - there are several.

Barring any issues with the frame, if the price is good then this would be a good way to move up from tent camping!

Good luck.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Just FYI, the changeover from wood to metal was a phased-in thing. My 2002 2720SL had metal framing. When you pull the screws as Al and Sue suggested, you should be able to look into the screw holes (with a flashlight) and see if the screws were driven into metal or wood.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
Redhawk

These guys hit it right on the head (of course), to add a bit to it since we were in the same boat earlier this year, we really wanted a 2720, but due to budget and TV we opted for a used 2619. I'm not a small guy, but my wife is pretty small, we figured we could sleep in both beds if needed, but the few trips we've been out, we shared the rear bed and it wasn't that bad. Of course the queen would be nice...we've been tent campers forever and man I'll tell ya, the TM is the ticket, last week when we got up, it was 28 degrees outside, there's a lot to be said about hot water and a furnace! We love this thing.....if I was you, after checking out the frame, I would concentrate on all the appliances and make sure everything works in all power modes...AC/DC/Propane. Check the age of the tires...not the wear. These are the things that could cost you extra right up front. Use the checklists. Good Luck!!!
Old 08-22-2009, 06:32 AM   #7
movinmom

Thanks for everyone's help and advice. Keep it coming. We are so new to this that I am absorbing all this info like a sponge. Any details, no matter how small will probably be of help to us.

Again, thanks, and you all are so great. I really appreciate any tidbits of info.