TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
Mountain Man

Default Can you stand on the roof?

If you found it necessary to get on the roof, is it strong enough to support the body weight of a 200 lb person without being damaged when it is closed? when it is open?
Old 05-27-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
grlewis1

Default Roof Strength

The trick to standing on the roof of a TM is distributing the weight evenly... I use a 2ft by 4 ft piece of plywood. Make sure you place the plywood so that one end rest on the edge support and the other end rest on the middle seam. You can then walk on the board with no dents on the roof. It makes washing the top of the TM a breeze...
Old 05-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
bfezel

Yes, you can stand on the roof with no damage (I'm 180 lb). I have made some small dents in mine with my knees while recaulking around the vents. I now use a piece of plywood to prevent any more of these slight, and cosmetic only, depressions.

Bill
Old 05-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
Queeniereads

For cleaning, we bought an extendable cloth "brush" at Walmart. We (that's the royal "we") can stand on a step ladder and reach the top just fine. THe other part of the "we" supervises and swooshes the mop in the bucket when necessary. Queen
Old 05-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Lightbulb If you don't want to wrestle with plywood,

just a sheet of 1" styrofoam insulation does a good job of spreading your weight around too.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #6
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
If you found it necessary to get on the roof, is it strong enough to support the body weight of a 200 lb person without being damaged when it is closed? when it is open?
I'd be cautious about going there when it's closed and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go there when it's open unless I really had to.

Regards!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:45 AM   #7
Joseph

Default Agree with Mr. Adventure. . .

I do not think I would go up in the roof of the TM while it is open. Look at the support arms . . . Closed, well. . . only if I had to using something to protect the shells like like an large 4 x 4 sheet of plywood over an old blanket. Be careful if you go up.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
commodor47
Site Sponsor

I've been on our roof several times . . . when opened and closed. There should be no trepidation as long as you move slow, put down something to walk/crawl on and spread your weight (use all fours). In our area, it is not uncommon to have upwards of six inches of snow on the TM roof (when opened in anticipation of our winter departure).

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote