TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
bfezel

Default Clean Curtains

I recently removed all the curtains in our four-year old unit and Frances washed and ironed them. I reinstalled them today and am very pleased with the results. Of course the fading is still there, however, new ones would fade pretty quickly also. The fabric itself is still in excellent shape. They were washed in cold water, on the gentle cycle, with Tide. The dryer was used on a gentle, cold setting to get most of the water out. We hung them to air dry for total drying. A light pressing and they were ready to go. Shrinkage was not a problem. The only “challenge” was reinstalling the front window which has a valance. I took the cover off the valance frame, but the installation is still tedious on this one.

If you have an older unit I highly recommend this process. The curtains are clean looking and clean smelling even though they are somewhat faded.

Bill
Old 02-04-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
cmc211

Do you have an issue with the curtains fading from the sun? Ours are pretty faded.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
bfezel

Yes, ours are faded. But, as noted new ones will fade pretty quickly as well. My theory is why buy new unless the old ones are not useable.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
larsdennert

You mean they aren't supposed to be white?
Old 02-09-2008, 05:57 AM   #5
retiredgoat

Default Dying curtians in washing machine

Hi All,

I'm not qualified in dying fabric or anything curtain wise buttttttttttt I did give it a shot and changed mine from tan to medium green. This was done in the washing machine and it did take two tries to get the shade of green I wanted (fabric weight to dye ratio real important)!!!!!!

The curtains look good and did not shrink toooooo much. Now I'm making/have made and redoing sun shields for the windows. It's the same stuff you use in your car for the windshield. I just bought the cheapest stuff from walmart and played around with the size and edge covering until it fit and presto sun shields.

For anyone in the south this is a must and really was easy to do.

Happy camping
Bob