TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2007, 12:02 PM   #1
allenj

Default Overfilled tanks - now what?

On our first trip in our new-to-us 2004 2720SL, the kid at the gas station (over)filled the tanks while they were in the horizontal position. I hadn't finished reading the manual yet so I didn't know enough to stop him, and we do have the tanks that say that they should be filled in the vertical position. We didn't realize it until we reached the campsite, but he also broke one of the tank hoses, so that no matter which tank is selected by the regulator, if a tank is turned on there is gas leaking out

The hose will obviously need to be replaced, but what should I do about the tanks? One is reading more than F, the other slightly less than F.
I've seen some people recommend that the OPD be replaced at this point, but my local LP gas retailer said they can't work on the tanks unless they are empty.

What do you think? Should I just drain the tanks down to the appropriate 3/4 mark? What's the best way to do this, preferably without worrying about blowing up the neighborhood (and me)?
Old 11-14-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Replacing the hose should be easy. They are available in Wal Mart, Lowes, or any RV dealer, of course. The old one is probably screwed in really tight, so don't be afraid to put some muscle into unscrewing it. The new one should be likewise tightened quite firmly, and then you should spray Windex or a soap solution on the fitting to make sure it isn't leaking. Don't use teflon tape or pipe joint compound of any kind. You are looking for a tight brass-to-brass seal.

I'm not sure why the OPD should be replaced. Did the propane dealer have anything to say about that, or was he simply willing to take your money?

As for getting rid of the excess gas, I guess I would simply fire up an appliance or three and let it run until the gauge drops a bit. The furnace is probably the biggest user, so turn up the thermostat, open the door to the TM, and heat Mother Nature for a while. You might also light the stove burners, and perhaps the refrig while you leave its door open. I don't suppose I would just open the tank valve and let the excess gas spill into the air. Fire danger more than anything, I guess - I'm not sure that unburned propane is a worse pollutant than burned propane.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
allenj

Thanks Bill.

Regarding replacing the OPD, a search turned up some old forum threads where a couple of folks thought the OPDs might not seal as tightly after being abused in this manner, and should be replaced. However, opinion seems to be mixed on this, and the LP dealer I talked to said it should not be necessary. I'll try your method and just keep a nose on them

BTW, I was going to take it to my local RV dealer and just have them deal with it, but they have a one month backlog before I can even drop it off
Old 11-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #4
Freedom

When I worked in the RV industry - shop mechanic -and we needed to change a valve we would take the tank out in the lot and crack the valve. You don't want to do it anywhere close to where you'll be because it stinks so bad! You will not believe the flies it attracts! You have to have a pretty good concentration of propane to have any danger of fire and if you vent it outside you won't get that concentration. Propane is kin to swamp gas, so the little you would vent won't hurt anything. If you'd rather not vent it to open air, do as Bill suggests - it will just take a lot longer since it's going through the regulator instead of just the valve. This time of year I wouldn't even worry about it unless it's really hot where you are. Here's something else you can do to see if the tanks are really too full or if the gauge is just wrong. "You know there is an easy way to see the level of propane in a current tank. Just warm up some water and pour it on the side of the tank. Since the gas is liquid and cool, the water's heat will cause the tank to form condensation at the current level of the propane. I do this before any cookout so I can get propane before the guests arrive rather than the last minute dash."
Old 11-14-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
BobRederick

allenj

The only thing I see missing in the advice above is that the OPD will lock in the "OFF" position if it is opened and propane flows out too fast. I believe you have to close the valve and wait a period of time for it to release and act normally again. So you might find it easier to burn it off as Bill recommended.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
Freedom

I did say "crack" the valve - I guess I could have been more specific - sorry.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:07 AM   #7
allenj

Thanks all. A hose from my local RV dealer was all that was needed to fix the leak, then I elected to run the heater for a couple of hours from each tank as Bill suggested. Since we're going into cooler weather that should be sufficient. Both tanks seemed to be feeding properly and I haven't detected any leakage from the OPDs, so I think I'm good to go again!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:51 AM   #8
AstroBruce

Try using the "80% Valve" to bleed off the excess liquid propane. Do this with the tanks in the upright position. Did you weigh the tanks? How do you know they are overfilled?