TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Default Southwestern New Mexico Trip Report

Here's a trip report for our recent excursion to SW New Mexico [with emphasis on the camping parts].

Departed Houston and drove to Balmorhea State Park in west Texas. This park is one of our all-time favorites with an incredible artesian spring fed swimming pool hosting fish, turtles, ducks, etc plus lots of folks happy to escape the surrounding desert. At our first gas stop I was doing a walk-down of the rig and noticed that I had lost the white "disk" out of the center of the tire cover! The shiny metal ring was cocked at an angle relative to the tire as if something had caught on the top of it and pulled it out. This is truly weird, I could understand it more if the bottom had been pulled out - that could be explained by it dragging or something. If it wasn't the first stop I might have thought someone had been trying to steal the tire. But, at least this problem had little impact. I will just have to get some kind of replacement cover if I can't find somewhere to buy the "disk". Balmorhea has electricity and water hookups so we filled the fresh water tank and the toilet since the next few nights would be boondocking.

Next day we drove on to the eastern side of the Gila National Forest in New Mexico. The road up to the campground was sporty [steep grades, sharp curves, two lane blacktop with recommended speeds of 10 mph in some of the turns] but no problem negotiating it. I had planned to stay in the Iron Creek campground but both ends of the campground (where the turn-arounds are) were heavily snowed in and covered with icy frozen snow. I quickly reached my discomfort factor on trying to maneuver the rig in that, backed down to the entrance, and we retreated three miles down the road to the Upper Galinas campground. The only facility here is a vault toilet but the campground is right on the bank of a beautiful stream in the middle of ponderosa pine covered mountains. At night it got into the 20s outside but it was in the upper 60s in the days, very nice. We set the thermostat at 60ish and the heater kept it right around there all night. During the first night the "prime" propane tank ran dry but the autoswitchover worked fine. We seem to have gotten the knack of running the fridge on propane finally - nothing froze or spoiled this time.

After two nights we moved to the west side of the National Forest to the Bighorn campground just north of Glenwood. This is a small campground just off the road. Again the only facility is a vault toilet. We were able to find a nice spot to back into so that the trailer was surrounded by junipers and a dry wash. The campground is splendidly located for visiting the spectacular Catwalk National Recreation Area. As we passed through Silver City we refilled the propane tank at the KOA there. We had planned to spend two nights in Glenwood but the road to Mogollon and the high country there was closed except for local traffic due to serious issues with the road (we were told that it basically slid off the mountain). So after spending the day at Catwalk we moved on the next morning to Rockhound State Park just southeast of Deming.

Rockhound's "hookup" sites were full but the very helpful park host squeezed us in between his camper and the edge of the park, and ran a dropcord for us allowing us to charge up all our electrical gadgets (lantern, digitial camera batteries, etc). Nice to get a real shower finally! We didn't have water hookup so topped off the fresh water tank - this is when I noticed the leak at the tank inlet (see thread under "plumbing"). Spent two nights here rockhounding and stocking up on Mexican arts & crafts in Palomas, Mx., just south of here. Dumped the grey water tank for the first time on the trip before leaving here. It was still only up to the second notch on the digital display but saw no reason to haul it out of NM.

Next, headed back to Texas...couldn't get a site in South Llano River State Park in Junction, so overnighted at the KOA there. It's a nice park right on the river. Dumped the toilet here for the first time on trip - not bad for a party of three.

Last leg from Junction to Houston was uneventful. Plan to spend this afternoon giving the TM a well deserved cleaning inside and out.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
Freedom

We love the Catwalk. We've been there twice and each time I managed to fine a flake of gold in the creek! It used to be one of my Dad's favorite places to fish, althought later on (after heart surgery) he would fish by the hatchery so he wouldn't have to hike too much.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default Rockhound SP

Spending three nights here, got the last electric site and at $14 a night only the ACOE has cheaper electric site fees. They have redone the bathhouse and it is really great. Sites have been reworked abit and this CG goes on our favorites list. So as we finish our second cup of coffee its on to the Thunderegg trail and see what we can find after last nights rain. 0.32 inch in the rain gauge this morning. The CG also has a very nice no electric area. The CG is on a lower portion of the Fl Mtns and you over look Deming at night.
In 2012 we stayed at the Big Horn CG, and from the description sounds like we had the same site as Wbmiller.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
moaboy

SJ, specifically what CG r u talking about that u like so much?
Thanks.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
FujiPedaler

What does ACOE stand for?
WDH, Rear receiver for bikes,
Hual-a-vator for Kayaks
Norman & Elizabeth
FujiPedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
clan_salmons

Army Corp of Engineers. I've been to some good ones.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
clan_salmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #7
FujiPedaler

Corp of Engineers are really nice Camp Grounds.

We just visited Fort Peck Dam and Corps of Engineers park in Montana and it was fantastic and also stopped by the one north of Des Moines, IA and that too was very nice and the price with the senior card is fantastic.

Thanks for the translation.

Norman
WDH, Rear receiver for bikes,
Hual-a-vator for Kayaks
Norman & Elizabeth
FujiPedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #8
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
SJ, specifically what CG r u talking about that u like so much?
Thanks.
We are not big on state parks but Rock Hound SP in NM, near Deming is very nice. Think that is the one you are referring to. We also hav eplans for stopping at the Chisos Basin in Big Bend NP in TX. Had a great time there in 1976.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #9
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
We are not big on state parks but Rock Hound SP in NM, near Deming is very nice. Think that is the one you are referring to. We also hav eplans for stopping at the Chisos Basin in Big Bend NP in TX. Had a great time there in 1976.
I'll be in the Basin the day after xmas next week. Don't have a campsite in the park. We are staying in Lajitas RV Resort for a week. Canoeing the Rio Grande for a day or two. Will do some hiking to the Window Trail and spend some time at the Lodge etc. Day Spa for her and a golf outing for me....

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #10
moaboy

How much do ACof E CG run?