TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
Tonopah

Default Propane tanks / use

Not sure if this belongs in General Dicussion or somewhere else:

I have a 2720SL. I camped with both propane tanks open and with the "selector" pointed at the right hand tank.

The right hand tank eventually ran dry and propane ran out in the TM. The left hand tank did have propane in it.

I had thought that when the right hand tank ran dry, the TM would switch automatically and draw from the left hand tank but it did not. I thought that propane delivery would be uninterrupted and that I would notice the distribution thingy on red -- to tell me that the right hand tank was empty and needed to be refilled, but in the meantime the TM would still be receiving propane from the other tank.

What am I missing here? Thanks!
Old 09-16-2006, 05:46 PM   #2
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default not switching to full tank

The left tank's valve might have closed because it detected a leak. Another possibility may be the left pigtail restricting flow due to its sensing a higher than normal flow of propane. The brochure from Marshall that came with my TM states: "Open the LP gas cylinder valve slowly. DO NOT SNAP OPEN." It has been my experience (TM and BBQ grills) that if the valve is opened quickly, sometimes the flow is restricted. Turning the valve off and then opening slowly has rectified the situation for me.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:14 AM   #3
Travler

Take your selector and place it in the MIDDLE before you turn on both tanks "Slowly" This will allow both tanks to be used at the sametime.
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:39 AM   #4
Tonopah

Ok. So with both tanks full and valves closed, the right way is to put the selector lever up (verticle), then open each tank valve slowly, then move the selector lever to point to the right tank? The indicator should then been green. Then when the indicator eventually shows red (meaning that the right tank is now empty), switch it to point to the left tank? Later, refill the right tank and then go through the same procedure?
Old 09-17-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
Travler

Thumbs up

If you want to use one tank at a time yes.......but if you don't want to bother with switching tanks.........just leave it in the middle position
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
thewitzclan

I just put both propane tanks back on my 3023 to correct a weight distribution problem and tested the gas and both tanks work fine but the meter guage stays on red with a slight green band on the bottom. what gives? thanks (1 tank is full and the other is 2/3 full)
Old 09-17-2006, 09:50 PM   #7
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler View Post
If you want to use one tank at a time yes... but if you don't want to bother with switching tanks... just leave it in the middle position
Tonopah,
This works well as long as you are not concerned about running out of propane!

When I manage the propane on my trailers, I start by flipping the regulator lever toward one tank. When that tank runs out, I manually flip the lever to the opposite side and remove the empty tank for refilling. I refill before the second tank runs dry. Then I repeat the process.

The reason I do this is that we often live in our trailer for 2-3 months at a time, and I don't ever want to run out of propane, especially if the weather is cold.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:37 PM   #8
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitzclan View Post
I just put both propane tanks back on my 3023 to correct a weight distribution problem and tested the gas and both tanks work fine but the meter guage stays on red with a slight green band on the bottom. what gives? thanks (1 tank is full and the other is 2/3 full)
Mine doesn't go full green until there is some flow - try lighting the stove and then check it.

Good luck!
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is online now   Reply With Quote