TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2006, 07:03 PM   #1
zorro56

Default 2006 Jeep Liberty Towing Advice Needed

I recently purchased a 2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4 and I am looking at purchasing a TM 2619 or a 3023. I would prefer to have the 3023 as I have 3 small children.

My Jeep Liberty has 3.7 liter with tow package factory rated for 5000lbs max owing capacity.

Most of my towing will be in Florida where I live where everything is fairly flat. However we are wanting to make a trip to Ontario Canada in a few weeks and see some of the country side with the kids. Next year we would like to also travel from Florida to California.

I have never towed anything before other than in the state and that was my boat. So I am inexperienced and do not want to put myself in a situation that I can not handle. Remember I live in Florida where everything is flat

I bought the Jeep liberty instead of a big huge truck because my primary use for the vehicle is not pulling stuff. I also like off-roading and this thing with its short wheel base will take me places big trucks will not go.

So the trade off was to find a lightweight trailer than I can pull safely for my family.

The TM 2619 dry weight without options and travel cargo is 2673 lbs. The TM 3023 dry weight without options and cargo is about 2915lbs

I am thinking that we will probably put about 500/bs of cargo and our combined weight for all of us is about 550/bs.

Therefore the TM 3023 I am looking at with options is 3245lbs and with cargo and us our total weight would be around 4300lbs.

The TM 2619 total with options cargo and us would be around 4050lbs.

The Jeep Liberty weight is around 4000lbs. Jeep Specs

The TM dealers are telling me no problem but suggest weight distribution saddles and or possibly anti sway control.

So I am open for feedback.

Also what is your feedback on the TM for potential water leaks and also the use of that small recycling toilet. Something tells me I am going to regret the toilet.

Zorro….
Old 06-04-2006, 08:00 PM   #2
zorro56

Thanks for the feedback. I hate ask this but I am completely green and yes I think the sales guys will sell me anything they can. But what is a WD hitch? Are you also recomending that I onlyu pull a 2619 or 2720 instead of a 3023 with the liberty.

Also how do you think the Liberty would do in the mountains based on the factory specs given?

Zorro....
Old 06-04-2006, 08:51 PM   #3
Freedom

Given the choice, opt for the 2720 instead of the 2619. The 2720 without the SL or SD is like the 2619 except that it has extra storage in the rear. It still has beds front (double) and rear (queen) and the dinette also makes into a bed - with 3 small kids that would be a plus. With the queen bed in the back you can put small kids sideways and fit them all without the hassle of making up the dinette every night. We have a 2619 and wish we had bought the 2720. Hindsight is 20/20. The 2720 weighs a little more than the 2619, but not nearly as much as the 3023. This is my opinion, so you decide, of course, but in your situation I would not get the 2619.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:53 PM   #4
zorro56

Jim,
Thanks for the feedback on the models. Do you have anything you can contribute to how well you think the liberty will perform pulling it and how safe it may or may not feel pulling?

Zorro...
Old 06-06-2006, 07:34 PM   #5
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Default Jeep Liberty

I would check your owner's manual regarding towing. I have a 2004 Durango with the Hemi, and it states that if the tongue weight of the trailer is a certain amount & higher, then you need to use a sway bar & a WDH. See what your manual has to say about both devises.

I wouldn't tow our 3326 King without a sway bar. After I sold my full size Dodge Copnversion van, I found out that I needed a sway bar to give me piece of mind when towing with the last 2 Durangos that I have owned. I would rather be safe than sorry. I have heard too many horror stories about trailers that have started swaying. I know that there are some members out there who can attest to this statement.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:55 PM   #6
Doug W.

There are two things I have seen cause a trailer to sway. One is if it is tall and long and there is gusty wind. That use to be a problem with my Dad's old 32' Spartan trailer. The TM should not have that problem.

The second is loading the trailer wrong. I had a Coleman tent trailer that weight less than 800 pounds empty. One time towing it, it was all over the road. It normally did not do that. I knew what the problem was. My sons had loaded the trailer for me while I was at work. I pulled over, opened it up and moved more weight to the front of the trailer. After I did that, no more sway. Again with as far back as they put the axle on the TM, I would hope that would not be a problem unless you put everything heavy at the back.

Still a sway bar is not a bad thing to have if you have to jerk the wheel to avoid an accident.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:49 AM   #7
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

Check out
http://www.equalizerhitch.com/
Sway control built in.
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:17 AM   #8
USAFCOP

Zorro,

I have an '02 with the 3.7. I have a '94 3023, and it does slow the jeep a bit going up hills (Rockies). I live at around 6000 feet, and towing up here is different, I noticed that with my pop up trailer from MO and KS to CO.

I have not however, towed the trailer up and over the rockies yet, I know it will be real slow, as with the old pop up, (2500lb), I was only able to maintain 45mph over the peak at Eisenhower tunnel on I-70, so I expect to only be at 30 with the TM.

As these guys have said, you will need a weight distribution hitch. You can drive it without, but it would be safer IMO than to not have a WDH. I have hauled the TM about 200 miles total already (had nowhere to park it, so I got to take it b&f to work for a couple weeks ) I noticed no sway going up to 70 mph, so I would say a WDH alone would do you fine.

I plan to install a Tranny Temp gauge in mine as I do not trust the idiot light. The engine temp light has not even budged from just below the half way point as it did when I was not towing, and my tranny fluid does not seem hotter after driving than it did prior, nor have I seen any change in shifting, just be sure to keep OD off.

With your '06 and the 42RLE Tranny, you should keep it slow though, as when you go up steep grades (if you visit the Rockies or Appalachians) your tranny temp light will come on (that is without towing anything, just a quirk of the 42 tranny) I have a different tranny since my KJ was built in may of '01. If you want to ask anymore questions about towing with the Liberty, feel free to PM me or visit our forum at www.lostkjs.com A lot of good questions on your vehicle there. I know some others tow with their newer KJs as well.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:28 PM   #9
Tonopah

I have an '06 Jeep Liberty Ltd (3.7) with the factory tow package. I do not know what Tranny I have except it is the automatic with the 4 wheel full time as well as the 4 wheel part time options. I do 4 wheel off road a fair amount and it works well although I have had the trans temp light go on a few times.

I should be picking up a new '07 TM 2720SL within the next couple of weeks. I will have a Prodigy brake controller installed on the Liberty and a WDH too.

Will the Liberty charge the battery? I know it wouldn't do much but is it set up to charge the battery while driving at all?

Any issues I should particularly bear in mind when towing a 2720SL with this TV?
Old 07-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #10
USAFCOP

Yes the tow package does have the hot lead in the center of the round factory tow plug, it will charge your battery, my '02 does.

You have the 42 RLE tranny in an 06. When has your tranny temp light come on? High altitude? Heavy Load? The guys in my club here in Colorado with that tranny have only had it come on when climbing a steep grade at a slow speed. Hauling a trailer over I70 with that tranny on the way to moab none have had it happen.