TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2006, 11:19 PM   #1
FotoCEO

Default Parking TM in tight quarters?

We are getting really close to getting our TM (3124KB) and TV (Toy. Sequoia), but are concerned about getting the TM down our driveway.

We share a driveway with two other neighbors, and we have two fairly tight turns to get all the way to our part of the driveway. The driveway is a one-way lane that is reasonably flat and paved, but our first turn has a brick wall on the inside of the turn and a fence in front (hmm, how to discribe this - as we are pulling in, there would be a wooden fence in front of us and a short brick wall to our left. At this point, our driveway turns to the left in front of the fence and around the wall).

My questions are, how much room in the turn do we need to pull the TM in? And, if we have to unhitch and move it the rest of the way by hand, should we get a hand dolly or just push it by hand? Are the TM's fairly easy to move on flat asphalt?

I've spent the last several nights reading through the posts and didn't come across any that address these issues, but if I've overlooked them, please link me up!

Thanks so much!

Joni
Old 04-11-2006, 06:30 AM   #2
BobRederick

Joni
I would be thinking about a ball hitch on the front of the TV. It would be a lot easier to see and maneuver that way. It doesn't sound easy. We used 2-way radios and an observer to watch from the blind spots, but I found that puts a strain on relationships...
Old 04-11-2006, 06:43 AM   #3
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default trailer dolly

We need to make a 90 degree turn to get into our garage from a shared driveway. The surface is concrete and level in front of the garage. The TV pulls the TM straight into the shared portion, we unhook the TM, push the tongue to make the turn, and push/pull it into the garage tongue-first. My wife and I used to do this without a dolly, but a $70 dolly from Harbour Freight made it a a lot easier and controllable.

Have you considered a front hitch receiver for the TV? I looked into that once, and I believe they were less than $200. It could also be used to carry bikes.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Before we decided on our 2720, we already had our TV and also had an old utility trailer (an old truck bed).

We have to make a very tight turn to get into our driveway, about a 180 degree turn off our road. I clamped sticks onto the top of the utility trailer that would simulate the length of the 2720 closed down and watched DH pull it into and out of the driveway and park it where the future TM would be kept. It cleared pretty nicely, so we went for the 2720. If I had thought to be more exact about it I would have made sure that the axle of the TM was the same length back from the hitch as the axle of the utility trailer.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
Magdefrau

And I back into the back yard and make a 90 degree turn and push the TM into the basement garage. Oh-my this is hard. I realize that with-in five years I may not have the muscle to do this. I have started using a block and tackle to pull the rig up to and in to the garage. I wonder if a motorized jack would make the job easier, or just cost a lot? I am all ears on how yall solve the backing in problem. The tongue wieght is very dangerous. I am very concern for any one man-handling the tongue.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:06 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

RockyMtnRay has a motorized dolly and loves it. You might want to do an Advanced Search for his comments ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:50 PM   #7
RCCBV1

I found that I needed an electric powered dolly to move both my camper as well as my utility trailer. I bought an ac powered from:

http://www.powermoverinc.net/htmls/pmaccarts.html

If you call and talk to them, they can normally improve on the price. They find out exactly what you need, and build a unit to your specs. It has been worth it to me.