TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2006, 02:07 PM   #1
angler_2

Default Propane tanks interfering with Equal-i-zerŪ hitch installation?

Need some info from any of you that have uses the Equal-i-zerŪ brand hitch with your TMs. I'll be driving 500 miles to pick up my 2720sl on Friday. Have ordered a 6000 lb equal-i-zer hitch from rv wholesalers that should arrive on Thursday. I read in one of the threads here that there is reason to believe that the propane tanks could interfere with proper hook up of the hitch. I called the TM factory and they said they had heard that might be the case for certain models but had no conclusive info on this. Also said that too many variables come into play to know for sure. They did confirm that this model hitch should work fine with the SL when trailer is loaded correctly and they knew that some people were installing heavier models. They asked that should I run into a problem to let them know so if they are asked the question again, they will be able to provide customers with the correct info.

So.... I do not want to travel 500 miles just to learn that my hitch can't be properly installed on my trailer. If any of you have experience with the equal-i-izer brand hitch on TM's, please let me know if you think propane tanks will interfere with proper installation of the hitch. The model of the trailer and the rating of the hitch would be appreciated. I will then in turn also provide the factory with the information learned from this thread as they requested.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:25 PM   #2
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

This may help http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=1160
Old 03-14-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
grlewis1

Default Equal-i-zer hitch

I also own the 2006 2720SL model and had the 600 lb Equal-i-lizer hitch installed. The only problem I had with this installation was the sway bars. I mounted the trailer bracket just before the emergency brake sensor, so it would not interfere with that function. The sway bars however was one inch too long and would hit the slide out bolts on the trailer. I took the sway bars to a machine shop and had one inch trimmed off. The hitch now works perfectly. You will truly love this hitch the first time an 18 wheeler passes you at 80 miles an hour... Your rig will be rock steady on the road....
Old 03-14-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default Equal-i-zer

I have the 1000 lb Lindon Equal-i-zer hitch. The bars hit the slide out bolts when the trailer L brackets were set at the 5th hole from the top (per Lindon's instructions), so the dealer set them at the 4th hole from the top. Taking measurements of the TV's front and rear wheel wells before and after attaching the TM indicate that the hitch is doing its WD role for my setup. This might be a stop-gap measure until you can get the bars shortened. I also bought my hitch from RV Wholesalers. It did not come with a ball and I could not find the correct one (2 inch, 8000 lb rating) locally, so I ended up ordering it from Lindon.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:10 PM   #5
Bill & Lisa

I have an Equalizer hitch on my 3023. My tanks are not mounted horizontally so I did not have that problem. I had the dealer install mine (Chesapeake RV Solutions). The brackets did have some interference. The tech moved and remounted the breakaway pin to ensure it would operate correctly and the VIN plate for the trailer had to be moved as the hitch bracket would have covered it up. It was worth the money to have the dealer do it.
Bill
Old 03-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #6
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default Equal-i-zer and swing-away tongue

Does your TM have the swing-away tongue? TMOF member Mark had an issue with interference between the bar and a pin on the hinge side of the tongue:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...4&page=2&pp=10
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:56 PM   #7
angler_2

Default Swing-away tongue or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcassel
Does your TM have the swing-away tongue? TMOF member Mark had an issue with interference between the bar and a pin on the hinge side of the tongue:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...4&page=2&pp=10
I bought a used 2000 model. I do not have the swing away hitch.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:09 PM   #8
angler_2

Default Interference with emergency brake sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grlewis1
I also own the 2006 2720SL model and had the 600 lb Equal-i-lizer hitch installed. The only problem I had with this installation was the sway bars. I mounted the trailer bracket just before the emergency brake sensor, so it would not interfere with that function. The sway bars however was one inch too long and would hit the slide out bolts on the trailer. I took the sway bars to a machine shop and had one inch trimmed off. The hitch now works perfectly. You will truly love this hitch the first time an 18 wheeler passes you at 80 miles an hour... Your rig will be rock steady on the road....
Thanks for the info. I am buying a 2000 used. Not sure if there is any change in placement of emergency brake sensor between a 2000 and a 2006. Would be good insurance for me to have the one inch cut off the sway bar here when hitch arrives Thursday before our long trip to pick up the trailer. If you didn't have any problems with propane tanks interfering, doubt if I will also. I am buying two different hitch shanks. One so I can use my F150 and the other for a jeep liberty. Not sure if this would alter the situation any. As rtcassel mentioned above I might get away with lightly altering adjustment but he has a Tundra TV and 1000 lb model hitch. If I'm using the Jeep Liberty as my TV with a 600 lb model, this is a border line rig to begin with and would want to be able to adjust properly. Even though it'll be four lane interstate all the way with no winding mountain roads, maybe the best way to go is to plan on using my Ford F150 to pick it up with sway bars cut off 1 inch. That way, even if I run into problems and have to slightly adjust hitch for trip home, the Ford would better handle any sway problems instead of the short wheel based jeep liberty. Then once it's home safe and sound, I can take it out on some test spins on the mountains around here with the liberty. I'm really interested in seeing how safely the diesel liberty handles the 2720sl because I'd rather get the the get 22-24 mpg instead of the 14-16 I might get with the Ford. Darn, had my heart set on making the maiden voyage with the Liberty .....
Old 03-14-2006, 06:11 PM   #9
Harry Womack

Default Hitch

When I picked my trailer up from the dealer I drove over 1000 miles without a sway bar or equalizer hitch. I have used the trailer for 18 months with only a friction type sway bar mounted on one side of the tongue. This is the same setup I used on my pop-up.
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:57 PM   #10
Bill & Lisa

rtcassel,
not sure who your question was directed at but No I do not have a swing tongue.