TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2014, 04:40 AM   #1
campingfamily7

Default Considering 2002 that once leaked

My DH and I have been looking at used TMs. We came across a deal locally for a 2002 3124. When the first owners sold it to the current owner, it had a leak in the roof. The current owner recaulked the center seam of the front slide of the roof. Afterward, he removed the vent frames in the living area near where the leak had come in. The wood that these frames were screwed into was dark brown or black. He assumed it was mold and sprayed it with a fungicide. In the two years he has had it, it has not leaked since. He wasn't concerned about other wood because he believes it to have an aluminum and polysterene ceiling and walls. My husband is a handy DIY type of guy. Do you all think he can remove these vent frames and replace the wood (which may be darkened by wood rot or maybe its mold)? Or do you think there is other wood in the frame of this 2002 that is also compromised? Would mold grow anywhere else in the ceiling, such as on the polysterene, etc? Any advice would be helpful as we have a teenage son with allergies and we want to proceed carefully. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2014, 06:30 AM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

There are many issues you brought up. Sounds like the seller has fixed the water leak to his satisfaction. I have the same year TM and the same model 3124. I have had the same center line leak. I caulked it and has not leaked since. I did not remove the vents to check for damp or water damaged wood. One day I might just do that. I'm too busy camping in it this year. There are different types of mold. Some are harmful and others are not so. With your specific needs regards to your son, it may be an issue. I'm pretty handy myself and if it were me, I would replace as much as I could get to within reach or reason of the affected area. Little time and effort and money should clean that up well. I'll say this and others may disagree, a roof leak, for me is not that big a deal... the water does not sit there too long and will dry out fairly quickly. Gravity makes it appear easily and drops into the living space. Where it goes after that may be more of an issue. Soft flooring, cabinets, underlayment, fabrics, bedding, etc.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

My 2002 2720SL had aluminum framing at the lower edge of the walls of the shells. However, that was just about the cutover point - it is at least possible that your TM has wood framing in that location. If so, you should figure out whether any water migrated down the walls to the edge, since wood rot has been reported in this situation.

Take a look at this thread.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...read.php?t=537

It is not directly relevant to your question, but the first post has a photo showing an easy way to see the aluminum or wood. If you have aluminum, there is obviously no wood rot in this area. If there is wood, you need to dig a bit deeper.

Good luck.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
campingfamily7

Thanks for your help! I also wanted to add that the ceiling is nice and flat on the back half of the camper, but the front half sags a bit along the center (Where the leak would have been) Can anyone advise on this situation?
Old 06-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Sags? As in - the center is lower than the edges? If so, no wonder it leaks.

We had a discussion within the past couple months about a sagging ceiling - you should be able to find it with a Search. I think the deal was that someone had added an air conditioner on the roof without properly bracing it. Is your air conditioner factory-installed?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

jmo
walk away, wait for the one that is right, even if you need to go aways to get it, if you get a bad one, no one will ever be happy , been there,

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:50 PM   #7
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

I remember my TM search and finding one that just had too many issues. Unless you are really looking for a project; I agree with Hillbilly.

I know it's frustrating to keep looking, but patience will pay off.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
bngfowler

Default roof leaks and sagging

We have a 2003 3023 and had same issues at roof vents and a little sagging. According to the factory someone must have crawled on roof to cause it to sag. After further inspection I found dimples where someone's knee had pressed into roof. According to factory these roofs are never to be crawled on. I used long 4x4 on the floor then put long 2x4 on ceiling and jacked up with jack. Installed 2x4's and let sit for a week 90% of sag removed. There are wood frames around skylights that can be easily removed and replaced. Cut wood to size then drill pockets for screw and install one at a time until all four pieces have been replaced. Roof is laminated aluminum and foam so it's a relative easy repair. reseal skylights and roof seam with 3m 4200 marine sealant. Roof seam is 4 inch overlap seam, meaning the top layer overlaps by 4 inches. lift up remove old sealant, clean and install 3m 4200 marine sealant. all are some what easy repair.
bngfowler is offline   Reply With Quote