TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
TandMo

Default Possible newbees with questions- help

My husband and I are looking at a 2003 3124KS. We are a little concerned because the curtains and valances were wet when we were shown the trailer. Is this normal? Should we be concerned? We have never owned an RV before and want to make good decisions. Thanks
Old 02-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

They normally shouldn’t get wet. Did you ask the seller about this? If they were very wet and only in one area of the trailer I would suspect a leak.

If they were all just damp maybe the trailer was put away after camping when there was a lot of humidity in the trailer. Sometimes when we are camping in cool wet weather the inside of the trailer and window will get a lot of condensation on them. Cool outside and warm inside creates condensation just like a cool drink in the summer. You are supposed to close the curtains before closing so if they did not wipe down the windows that could have gotten them wet. If they did that I am not sure how long it would take for them to dry out as there is little air circulation in the trailer after it is closed. We always open it up when we get home and dry things out.

That is my best guess maybe someone else has another idea.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
rumbleweed

there are quite a few seams in the TM that are caulked. Between the movement and vibration during travel and general aging, the caulking separates and causes leaks. Leaks generally show around windows because that is where a large hole has been cut in the foam sandwich walls. That is not always wherethe leak is. leaks are somewhat common in most rvs over time. I would not reject the deal on the leak alone as they are not too dificult to find and fix. Search the forum (frame section) for lots more info. If you buy a TM or any trailer it is always a good idea to carry a tube of good caulk. A small hole the size of a pencil lead in the caulk around a marker light can cause wet drapes. if they are stained, it is probably not going to come out but other than that most likely fixable.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I would agree with the comments you have already had so far, but I would ask you for more information. When you say curtains? both sides of the TM or just one wall of window curtains? Front window or rear window? Was any of the fabric on the sofa damp as well? When was the last rain in your area prior to seeing the TM? What did the seller say when you asked about the wet condition of the curtains? Is the seller the original owner?

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
TandMo

Thank you for the questions. Only two of the valances and curtains. The set over the bed and the set beside the front door. Sofa was dry. There had been some rain the night before we looked at it. Seller isn't original owner. We're buying from a dealer. I'm concerned because the price seems good. They are asking 10K. That is a little lower than NADA.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
kokilo

If you can look at the TM when it is raining you should be able to see the leaks on the inside walls. The wet valences seem to indicate a leak or leaks in the corner molding of the roof but it is very hard to say. The water tends to migrate a bit especially along the roof edges.

Is there any damage or evidence of a long term leak? (blackened woodwork or mildew) If so I'd be very cautious but otherwise just factor a complete re-caulk into the price. Might be a good bargaining point to shave a few hundred off and if it hasn't been done in a few years you will have to do it anyway.

Another thing to be careful of is leakage from the vents that only occurs in a driving rain which can leave the rugs wet for a long time. This can cause a lot of mildew and smell. It can even get under the linoleum and eat into the aluminum clad floor once the bacteria get going. Look for blackening around the base of cabinets contacting the rugs as a sign of water damage.

Peter
Old 02-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

well, in best case scenario, the window was left open during the rain. The worst case would be a leak from a roof opening like ceiling vents, fan, antenna, etc. Most likely a caulk repair is recommended and we have all dealt with that or will have to deal with it . RV's not just TM are prone to some kind of water leak during the lifetime of the unit. Its part of a maintenance program from year to year. Anytime the factory cuts a hole in the side or the roof of these structures, there will be a seal that will dry over time and need to be maintained. Regards to price.... I bought a 2003 3124KB 4 months ago and paid a lot less than what your dealer is asking for. My purchase was a private sale, so that is going to be a factor but the NADA book on a 2003 KS model is not anywhere near 10k. Now, I don't add in all the options that are available online because most of the options were factory added 9 years ago. At this stage, you can't add in value options. And it may have a leak that needs repair. I would offer 8k and see where they are on it. He probably took it in on trade and does not have that much in it. All they can do is say no, right? he won't have too many other buyers this time of year. Just friendly advice. The floor plan is one of the better units. Good luck.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
TandMo

THanks for the advice on water and price. We will definately attempt to get the lowest out the door price possible. Our bank gave us the NADA so we were feeling pretty good about it. There will be more research before papers signed. Thanks again. My husband is from Houston, you Texans are gems.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
rumbleweed

I had those leaks on my new 2720SL. Leak was a small separation around front marker light . Another possibility is roof /side seam in that area. Search for a post from me on easy way to locate loose caulk.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
TravlinOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
I had those leaks on my new 2720SL. Leak was a small separation around front marker light . Another possibility is roof /side seam in that area. Search for a post from me on easy way to locate loose caulk.
I did the search and I believe that this link will take readers to the right posting,. Thanks rumbleweed for the info.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...7902#post87902