TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tips and Tricks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
Philip

Default An Item To Consider When Installing A Lift Kit

Hello Folks,

I recently installed 15" wheels on my 2008 2720. The lift kit was required due to clearance problems in the wheel well.

The factory installed axle bracket for the 14" wheels was welded to the frame on the front and back of the axle bracket - in other words the welds ran across the frame width at the frame bottom. I ground these welds off to install the new lift kit.

After I installed the lift kit I alligned the axle by measuring from the tow cup to the axle. Once I was sure the axle was alligned, I decided to have the lift kit and axle bracket again welded in place. I took the TM to a quality welding shop that also does a lot of work on trailers. I was thinking that I would again have welds placed across the frame on the front and back of the lift kit tube and weld the axle bracket to the lift tube.

The welder brought up an important point that I actually knew to be true but had forgotten. You NEVER weld across the bottom section of a structural steel member. A weld in this position can cause the frame to crack as the weld weakens and tends to make the frame brittle. Since the highest stress is on the botton of the frame it may crack at the weld. The welder said he would weld the lift tube to the frame along the side on both sides. This still serves the purpose of holding the axle allignment but does not compromise the frame. He also welded the axle bracket to the bottom of the lift tube.

I know I am rambling on but another point I noticed when I was moving the electric brake wires out of the welders way was that the brake wire connections were connected using wire nuts. This practice, IMO, is totally rediculous!. I bought my TM new in 2009 and the wires were nearly corroded away. For something as important as brakes the only thing acceptable to me is soldering or crimp connections with adhesive sleeves.

I hope this helps someone avoid grief.

Take care,

Phil

TM - 2008 2720, 15" Wheels, Two 4D Lifeline AGM Batteries, Linklite Battery Monitor, Self Adjusting Brakes.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote