TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
Beach Boy

Default Any Steel On The TM?

I might find a TM before I get my brake controller and seven prong connector installed. I have a set of temporary tail lights which uses magnets to attach to the RV. Is the rear bumper steel? Is there any other steel on a TM?
Old 12-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Boy View Post
I might find a TM before I get my brake controller and seven prong connector installed. I have a set of temporary tail lights which uses magnets to attach to the RV. Is the rear bumper steel? Is there any other steel on a TM?
The frame and bumpers (such as they are) are steel. But, I'd recommend you get the brake controller working before you go to get the TM so that you'll be able to make sure the TM brakes are working, so that your tow vehicle can keep the charge up on the trailer battery for breakaway purposes (test and operation enroute), and (obviously) so that you'll have working trailer brakes on your trip home. When you're least experienced with the TM might not be the best time to be cutting corners on safety (brake controller, connectors, and the weight distributing hitch).

If you're buying from a dealer, you can negotiate your brake controller and weight distributing hitch install into the deal (they like this kind of while-you-wait business). Also, in about 2 weeks the RV show season will be starting, with some of the best prices of the year so don't be in too much of a rush. And, maybe you could borrow a good RV tow vehicle from an RV friend for the purpose, or have the RV seller deliver it to you (I saved the hassle of getting the TV ready in time for the purchase, an overnight on site, and 2 long travel days by having the seller deliver ours to us).
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
There is no where to attach magnetic lights on the TM........

In the event that you need to tow a TM home, it would be easier to make a temporary connection to the lights on the trailer then to wire up your magnetic lights.

However, I would also encourage you to get the 7-pin connector wired properly and install a brake controller before towing...... especially a trailer that you're not familiar with.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:32 AM   #4
mtnguy

Quote:
If you get a pre-2005, the rear bumper is steel, although it has an aluuminum facade around it....probably enough that magnets would not stick.

Like Wayne suggested, make sure you have a working brake controller before towing.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
PopBeavers

California requires operational trailer brakes. Not sure where you live.

I towed once in an emergency situation using a 3/4 ton 1986 Suburban. It was 45 miles on a near empty freeway.

I would do it again under those circumstance. Traffic, a greater distance , or a smaller tow vehicle and I would not.