TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
Mr Geek

Default $50 Microwave Perfect Fit

Hello all,

In a push to finish up some recent solar power upgrades before a long trip, I found I needed a lower power microwave for my setup. I found this inexpensive 600w microwave power unit (draws 950w AC) that fits much better than the old one I was using. It's a perfect fit for my 2619, with the door opening properly and it provides more counter space using the top and space underneath. It also accommodates full size dish platters.

I also found a little stand that lifts the unit for venting and preserves the space below for counter top storage when camping. This unit only vents on one side as shown in the photos below.

Just thought I would share in case others find the information useful. I don't use mine much, just to heat up frozen dinners and left overs but that simple function saves lots of time and pot washing.

Here is the model I bought and the gadget I am using for the stand-
Microwave:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Stand:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Bob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Microwave1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	5415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Microwave2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	5416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Microwave3.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	5417  
Old 12-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
Beach Boy

Great idea. Now this is what this forum is all about. What is going to secure it when traveling.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
Mr Geek

Hi Beach boy,

I keep many things on the floor of my TM. My tools, microwave, BBQ, pet stuff and three bags of stuff, and bedding. I just pack them using the bedding/pillows to cushion things. I have an LCD I keep on the dinette seat sandwiched between two large cushions and the roof stop it from bouncing too much.

I have never had problems and I have hit some obscenly huge pot holes at highspeed, bad enough to tear my water heater from it's mount!

Bob.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
Mr Geek

Default Power spec is 950w with 600w Microwave Power

Just a quick clarificaion. I mention in my post that this microwave is a 600w unit...well it's a 600w microwave power unit but the rated power consumption is 950w. That may be the starting surge power required. So it takes 950w to run and it outputs 600w of microwave power.

Just FYI.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Sounds like it would run nicely from a Honda EU-1000i, a question that has been asked a lot on this board.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
PopBeavers

For those of us that have the extra drawer, the stand, of course, would not be necessary.

The stand may be a better choice if it can lift the microwave up higher than the drawer would. That way tall objects would fig below.

Not sure what the price is for the drawer. We bought with the TM.

DW has a strong preference for "cute" and I would not want to argue with her. So the drawer would win over the stand at my house.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
Mr Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
For those of us that have the extra drawer, the stand, of course, would not be necessary.

The stand may be a better choice if it can lift the microwave up higher than the drawer would. That way tall objects would fig below.

Not sure what the price is for the drawer. We bought with the TM.

DW has a strong preference for "cute" and I would not want to argue with her. So the drawer would win over the stand at my house.
I like that drawer, I've seen it a few times in photos. With my TV being my Jeep I try to stay light, key word is "try", not always sucessful in that regard.

On that microwave the controlling aspect is venting, if you can get the left side vents above the adjacent counter top it should be fine. I was pleasantly surpised that the door is hinged such that it opens without problems.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
Mr Geek

Default Sticker Removal WD40 - Sticker Gone

Just a quick note. Before buying this unit I read lots of reviews. People like this unit EXCEPT one thing, a sticker. The company puts a very large promo sticker on the clear window of the door. It is very tough to remove, requiring patience, lots of small pieces...grrr.

The biggest issue is the glue left behind. People ruined there windows by trying all kinds of water based cleaners/abrasives to get that glue off.

Well it turns out the glue is oil based, so a little WD40 works like magic.

Bottom-line, if you get this unit, remember some WD40 too
Old 12-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

"Sounds like it would run nicely from a Honda EU-1000i, a question that has been asked a lot on this board."

Yes and no bill, I have the same one, and purchased it thinking the Honda would do. If the Honda is connected to the TM it can not handle the 900+ and the converter. You must run a dedicated cord out the flap to the Honda with nothing else plugged it. That's the yes part.
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I didn't realize it would be that close. Thanks for the tip. I guess it makes sense - the EU1000i is rated for only 900 watts continuous.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote