TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
kn1ghtus

Default Prospective Buyer, NEW to all but tent camping

Okay so we live in Aurora Colorado, we have been looking/saving for the last year for something we can enjoy the great outdoors. Growing up on a farm we have quite a bit of outdoor time and our current foster children have had none of it. (we are trying to adopt them and a lot of our savings for this has gone to lawyer fees-- yay!) So we've been looking at the KZ line (210ks, and the 196S) but we saw this at an RV show in Denver and even though it is a lot more expensive to purchase, I could see insurance for it being lower-- Savings on just GAS would be worth it's weight in gold, and the fact it can be stored inside (And having never towed anything I'd feel a lot safer with THIS opposed to a full 24 TT)

TV we'll be buying in 21 days, (2013 Santa Fe GLS with a tow pull ability of 5,000 pounds) I'm kind of sold on the 2720 layouts. Which one specifically we'd be leaning towards the just plain 2720 although we have two foster children now we don't know if we'll be able to keep them. We also live 15 minutes away from almost 30 nieces and nephews, and we'd want to use this as something we can do once a month for bonding time if we can't keep our foster children. (Once a month pick 2-3 kids and go camping just over night up the hill)

I have been reading this forum off and on for 6 months and thought I'd finally post and register opposed to being a lurker, even though I have read most of the threads here. With that said to sum up.

1. Really looking forward to do this
2. Really scared as never towed
3. Really scared because I'm not mechncaially inclined (I work in IT)
4. Scared because I have never winterized anything, don't normally PACK BARRINGS, etc.
5. really like the 2720 though any floor model would work though leaning towards the 2720
6. Live in Aurora CO and doesn't seem to be any used for sale within hunderds of miles and again being a noob to towing
7. Would love to know WHERE to camp around here-- i'm from california and we could just drive up i80 and pull off and dry camp with a pop up, and hunt/shoot/track etc... any place around in CO we can do that?
8. Where are so good camp sites in the colorado area?
9. Is there a good thread taht is a "101 about towing" I know most of it (book knowledge) though have missed some (tow hitch weight is what?!)
10. I have been REALLY impressed with this forum, and I hope to join your ranks in a month or so for 2013 summer time.
11. I like turtles.
12. One of the things I do is hosting/web design and would love to host this site the trail blazers for free if you guys are currently having to pay for hosting.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
ChillEDog

Others with more experience will respond regarding towing. I guess in CO you have to really make sure you have a proper tow vehicle, it sounds like you're in a good place since you haven't purchased TV yet.

For my $.02, I just recently bought a 2619, first time towing too (other than small boat), so far no issues. One does spend a lot of time glancing in the side rear-views when driving stretches of highway that are under construction.

Something I didn't know, you have to install a brake control in the TV, it controls the electric brakes in the TM. Or I suppose you can buy a vehicle that has one.

Documents in forum [TrailManor information you won't find anywhere else] address towing weights, weight distribution hitch, etc. I don't know if there is a comprehensive document but I am willing to bet everything about towing is covered in one doc or another. I haven't looked but I bet there are some good videos on Youtube, I've seen a number of RV videos there.

So, long story short, I'm new to this too, like you I had concerns about towing, so far its worked out great. A lot to learn but that's part of the fun.

As a new owner, some other advice I'd have is, buy as large as you can. We love our 2619 but boy the inside space goes in a hurry when you're camping. And it sounds like you may have quite the crowd.

Good luck.
ChillEDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

kn1ghtus, become a full member ($12 a year), and we can PM for some more detailed info. While I don't have a 2720, I do have a 2417. Smaller, but same general layout - bathroom, two beds, door, windows, hitch.

Towing - definitely will need the trailer-brake controller. Many of us use a Prodigy. Simple to connect/disconnect. If you buy your TV from a dealer, have them install the wiring before delivery. I took mine to Kettlesen Campers (Kipling & I-70), and they installed the wiring for $70.

Contact The Car Show, Inc in Colo. Springs. They may have an inside line on a 2720 coming in on trade, as they are the TM dealer for this large area. And, post in the "TrailManors Wanted" section of the forum.

Don't be worried about towing. Tow slow around sideroads for a little bit, and you will get used to it. As with everything else, do it a few times, and you will be more comfortable.

Weight-distributing hitch. Many opinions about what is best, but I got mine used by going to an RV dealer, and asking if they had any used trade-ins. They make all the difference in the world regarding towing level and in control.

More about where to camp when I have some time. Join and PM me, or I will post some ideas in the next few days. I have done lots of trailer camping in Colo.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
CeeWoo

I hope it all works out for you! If it does, I have a slight recommendation.

Sometime, hook up the trailer, take it to a large empty parking lot (maybe a nearby school after hours), and just for grins and giggles practice backing up and getting the trailer to go where you want.

I know for us, that was the hardest part of towing
Old 04-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
MisterP

You mention you will be buying a tow vehicle shortly with a tow capacity of 5000 lbs. That is certainly one number to consider, but you also need to look at gross capacity and gross combined capacity. When you hook to the trailer, you transfer some of the weight to the vehicle. Add passengers and all your stuff you stuff in the back, and you can exceed the capacity of the vehicle. Combined capacity is the total weight of the combined pair as pulled around on your trip.

Either in excess can cause premature wear and tear on the vehicle. More important, an accident can create liability for you if proven you exceed these numbers. Adding more weight also increases stopping distances, which can be problematic in emergencies.

I am NOT suggesting your vehicle is necessarily a problem, what I am suggesting is review all the numbers, not just a published tow capacity.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

I agree with Mister P. if you go over the vehicles towing capacity will the engine or transmission be covered under the warranty? More than likely not.
I don't want to discourage you from the TM or any other camper, but knowing before buying will save you money and frustration.
I've owned my 2619 for a couple of months an love it. I had a popup for 12 years before moving up and I don't regret it.
As to towing, just take it slow and make sure you can see behind the camper when going down the road.
My pup wasn't a problem, but I quickly realized I need tow mirrors for my truck. Good luck with what ever decision you make.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
TheSteeleFamily

Default New Trailmanor Owners

Hi all,
My name is Denny and my Wife (Shelley) and I live in Lakewood Ca. We have owned two 30 foot class A Motorhomes,but we decided that as we age we wanted something that we could set up at the campsite or RV Park and drive off when we wanted.Well,This past Saturday our 2013 Trailmanor 3124KB arrived at Custom RV Sales at their new location in Ontario,Ca. While we were there we did the walkthrough inspection and the open close "Class" we asked all the questions that we could think of and were satisfied with the answers that Matt and Scott had for us. As Matt wired the Brake controller and installed the WDH we had the pleasure of a brief but informative chat with "MudDog" from these very Forums! He was very kind and had some great tips for us to take with us as we pulled our first travel trailer out the driveway and off to it's new home with us.Our tow vehicle was purchased with a lightweight travel Trailer in Mind. Last year we spent 6 months researching possible candidates for our new tow vehicle. When we found a New 2012 Chevy Traverse LTZ with AWD and tow package (5200# - 600# tongue) We purchased it. I've been driving Big Rigs for the same company for over 32 years,so I'm familiar with towing,but have only pulled a "Ball and Hitch" a few times. I thought the Traverse did an acceptable job thanks to the WDH. I'll know more once we are loaded for our first trip and I am able to scale the combo out. I've already installed a Pioneer Stereo and a 24 inch Toshiba flat screen with DVD player (11 pounds) that I will run through the Head unit.also replaced all bulb lights with LED'S. Any way sorry for the long post. I just wanted to drop in and say hi, and thanks for all the info that I've garnered from these forums! I don't have a Paypal account. They said that I've spent too much money through them and want my Bank acct. info if I want to continue doing business with them.Happy Trails folks.
Denny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	!!!!!!!!!!.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	8387   Click image for larger version

Name:	!!!!!!!!!.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	8388  
TheSteeleFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:08 AM   #8
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Congrats kn1ghtus on the new TV and TheSteeleFamily on your new TM!

Keep searching for that perfect TM kn1ghtus, you never know when it will 'pop up' (sorry for the bad pun). After over two years of researching on the forum, looking at the TM site and looking at TM for sale ads, one just appeared on Craigslist when someone had me look at a listing for a dunk tank (for camp). The dunk tank listing was gone, so I said to myself, "Why waste a good visit to Craigslist?" and it was right there; the perfect one for us at a GREAT price. And less than 10 miles away to boot.

For either one of you, let us know if you have any other questions. This is a great community of TM owners. I wouldn't have purchased one without the support of this forum.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
rumbleweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteeleFamily View Post
Hi all,
I don't have a Paypal account. They said that I've spent too much money through them and want my Bank acct. info if I want to continue doing business with them.Happy Trails folks.
Denny
I had the same concern so I opened a second checking account the my bank and put a few hundred dollars in it. I linked that to my PayPal account, but for all but a few foreign transactions ( where there is a service charge) I select the option for Pay Pal to use my CC. By having the account in the same bank, it is easy to transfer money to the PP checking account if I choose to.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
Beak12

Steele Family,
First Custom RV is a great place to do busines. I have an appointment for some service in a few weeks. Looking forward to seeing the new place.
Second-----Now that your a TM owner you might want to sign up here in the forum as a member, without being a member at some point you will not be allowed see/read many of the posts.