TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
ragmopp

Default Quickbite trailer coupler

I noticed in the new issue of Trailer Life a picture and info on this coupler. It really fascinates me (as much as a trailer coupler can fascinate anyone). I like the idea that you can really do the hitching by yourself. So I went to their website:

http://quickbitecouplers.com/

Now I would think that the A frame unit would be the one for our TM's. I then went and took a look at the coupler on my TM and noticed that the whole thing is welded on. So this begs the question, is getting this coupler even remotely possible to retrofit on the TM? Anyone have any ideas?

Mike Anderson
Old 05-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
arniland

I guess I don't understand why backing up to the trailer is quite such a problem. This unit uses target sticks to aim for, but has nothing on your TV to line up with their sticks on the trailer. Even with this system, the ball on your hitch still has to hit the open coupler. I watched the video on their web site and it seems that you would have to adjust the trailer tongue to the exact height of the ball before backing. If you have a weight distribution hitch, you then will have raise the tongue to connect the bars.

The hitch is not too much more expensive, vs other stamped replacement couplers, and then most of us would need to pay a competent welder to cut off the old one and weld on the QuickBite.

I own three car hauling trailer in addition to my TM and I have to ask just how much of a problem this is "fixing" to justify the expense and trouble. Before I would go this far, I would simply buy a pair of the rods with the magnets on the base sold by trailer supply folks to stick on your hitch and coupler for hooking up.

Arn

Arnold in Maryland
TVs - 2003 GMC Yukon XL 6L
TM - 2007 2720SL
arniland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
ragmopp

My question still seems somewhat unanswered. According to Arn I would have to have the end cut off and then the new one welded on. Is that correct?

I am not trying to convince anyone else on the use of this thing, just trying to see what was involved in having it done.

Mike Anderson
Old 05-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
rumbleweed

Yes you would need to have a professional welder cut off the current hitch assy and weld on the new one. Another option if you have a swing hitch is to order the front swing portion without the hitch assy and weld on the quickbite. This has the advantage of being able to easily go back to the original hitch if you did not like it or sold the TM and wanted to keep it.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

LOL...I love seeing that others like to read all the ads in the camping magazine. We watched the video yesterday morning and then Tom looked at the TM and came to the same conclusion....about the welding. I thought about posting about it and then got really busy...so I never did.

It does look impressive then it clamps down on the trailer ball though.

I actually was intrigued more with the ad for the Mobile Hot Spot from Netgear.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
ragmopp

Arn & Bob,

Thanks for the info about welding. That was the info I was trying to get.

Mike Anderson
Old 05-05-2009, 06:46 AM   #7
mtnguy

In watching the video, it seems like a neat product. But y'all have brought up some interesting points. A concern of mine would be the evential failure of the tongue jack, with the amount of force shown in the video that latched the mechanism.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

It is a good concept but I do see it needing to be correct height so this may mean you have to adjust anyway just like the normal setup. Also doesn't look like it will work if you need to hook up from the side as allot of times is needed to get a trailer in a particular spot or out of one.

I was taught by my dad to do the same thing I do when handling a gun check & double check before you assume it is ready for handling.

When I hook up a trailer I usually check everything no lees than three times on the tongue hook up. I also check the connections, tires along with a general check of the trailer every time we stop for fuel etc. Now if I could just remember the step & wheel chocks

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:11 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

[Remainder of thread was not concerned with QuickBite coupler, so merged with http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=9079]

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote