TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tips and Tricks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #1
YogiCorgi

Cool Tire Covers

Because of the plastic shroud and the tight-working area in the wheel well, I found the tire covers purchased at an RV store to be difficult to install and remove from the TM. So I took them back to the store and pondered an alternative to protect the tires from the sun. My solution was to use aluminum-bubble insulation (obtainable at many home-supply and some RV stores)...it's lightweight, easy to install, easy to clean, and store when not in use. (I also use this material as window shades, to help cool or warm the TM...just cut to fit and let the curtains keep them in place). As for the tire covers, bungee cords are used to keep them in place...please view the pictures. The blowout adsorbing mud flap (BAM) you see attached in the pictures will be disclosed in a different post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TM tire cover 1.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	5788   Click image for larger version

Name:	TM tire cover 2.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	5789  
Old 04-28-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
Beach Boy

Is your tire flat?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
RogerR

can you leave the bubble stuff in place during travel or just while storage

I am not sure of where to get it or exactly what it is , how about a real closeup of the material
Old 04-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
YogiCorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Boy View Post
Is your tire flat?
Thanks for asking Beach Boy, but it just looks that way from the light and angle of the image...the tires are inflated to 65 psi.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
YogiCorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
can you leave the bubble stuff in place during travel or just while storage

I am not sure of where to get it or exactly what it is , how about a real closeup of the material
I use the covers whenever the tires are exposed to the sun while camping...they are removed prior to travel. The covers are easy to store rolled up or flat. Sorry, my camper is currently located at an RV-storage lot right now, so I can't take an up-close image, however, the next time you visit Lowes go to the insulation section...I bet you can find this material. If not, one of the associates should be able to quickly locate it for you. Camping World provides a smaller roll to work with. As for long-term storage of the TM, I have a cover that goes down over the tires. However, if that was not the case, I would use these covers. Hope this helps.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
The blowout adsorbing mud flap (BAM) you see attached in the pictures will be disclosed in a different post
That's my next project, --- will await your post!

Nice idea on the tire covers!

Tim
Old 04-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
Digger

With all the horror stories about Goodyear 14” Marathons, I thought this was interesting. I bought a used boat and trailer last fall and was out getting it ready to go for the season. Looking at the tread wear on the tires I decided to replace them with new ones. Unless I am reading this wrong, these tires have been on the trailer since the 40th week of 1994. The same year the boat and trailer were made. I lived in S. Calif. many many years ago and I remember my rubber windshield wipers crumbling apart about every time I needed to use them and the tires not lasting more than a couple of years. Must be something to all that ozone and UV rays we miss out on up here. Maybe it’s just that they don’t make them like that anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0974 [640x480].JPG
Views:	58
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	5791  
Old 05-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
Mrfixit

Some of the tire experts may be able to add to this (or correct me if I'm wrong). On the subject of tire oxidation and the need for covers when in storage, I have never used covers. A product known to the boating world called "303 Protectant" is all I've used in the past 15 years or so. It works without silicone to provide a barrier to the ozone/UV damage that occurs on the surface when a tire sits for long periods without flexing. The flexing action would normally bring the waxes in the tire compound to the surface, protecting the tire and keeping it supple. The 303 website explains in more detail. I spray both sides of the tire, including the spare, every couple months or after a cleaning. It really is amazing how tires and vinyl remain like new with the use of this stuff.

Skip
Gandy (Blue-Fronted Amazon Parrot)

'03 2720SL
Swing hitch, Roof AC, Attwood elect. tongue jack, Stereo, 2.5" lift kit, 15" Kenda Loadmaster Tires (Load Range D)

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.7 liter Hemi), Prodigy P2, Curt 600# WDH, McKesh Mirrors
Mrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

We are able to store our TM at our home under a shelter logic canopy. I had some of the white foam board from Office Depot and we just lean a light weight piece against the tires. We don't cover the tires when camping though.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, sun, tire, tire covers, uv rays