TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
guitartom

Default real mattress

OK, I admit it, I'm a softy. The mattress in the TM is not much better than the floor after an hour or so. I'm not sure if I want to try a memory foam topper or a real mattress. I think the topper needs to be at least 2" to have any real effect. Would that be too high for the rear bed , as far as not being able to close the shell? Also, the bed is 60 x 78. That takes the thought of a real mattress out of the equation as I believe they're 60 x 80. Has anyone replace it with an air mattress?
Old 07-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

We have a 1" memory foam topper on ours, and it made a huge difference. Our rear shell just barely closes now with it on (with sheets and a very thin blanket), so I'd say that's the upper limit of what can fit there unless you want to take it off every time you tear down.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
ThePair
TrailManor Master

We got this:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...3/product.html

in a king size, and used a good pair of scissors to cut it to the proper width (wasn't difficult to do). This will replace the stock mattress fine, I can still close the shells with one sleeping bag laid out on top (folded back a bit to avoid the ceiling light). It is much much more comfortable than the stock mattress.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

We use a layer of egg crate (poor man's memory foam) I think 2" thick, and love it. As Dave suggested, we leave the sheets on, as well as the electric blanket, but a quilt makes the whole thing too thick. So the quilt gets folded, and travels on the couch.

There has been a lot of discussion about mattresses, and memory foam, and air beds, and what it comes down to is that it is all personal taste and sleep habits. And to complicate it, some TMs will fold with more thickness on the bed than others. Experimentation is the key, I guess. Use the Search tool.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
Al-n-Sue

Tom, we use a 1" memory foam topper. We have to fold the blanket down but leave the fitted sheet and top sheet on. When I raise the shell I can see the impression of the light fixture on the mattress.

The 1" topper added just enough cushion to make the TM mattress comfortable. I actually sleep better in my camper than I do at home with a hybrid memory foam mattress that is about 15" thick!

Upside of memory foam is that it reflect your body heat so after being in bed for aobut 5 minutes it is very toasty! We don't even use the electric sheet we had in our popup.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
Scott O

To answer your question, yes, someone out here has an air mattress. We found a AeroBed in the correct size (Amazon maybe). It is high quality and very comfortable. We also found an AeroBed heated mattress pad, which we love. The AeroBed has the added bonus of being basically flat when deflated, so we can put a bit of stuff on it when we close up without interfering with anything.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:41 AM   #7
ib4classics

We have a 2" memory foam topper. I have a bad hip and use a Temperpedic matress at home.
The 2" topper works well but cannot be left on the bed to close up.
We store it up front with the hanging cabinet when traveling, no problem.
We also use a queen size travel sack which is also great.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
rbkinder

Do you remember or know the model number on this Aero Bed that you got that fits the TM?
rbkinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #9
Scott O

No I don't and the mattress is in the TM which is in the garage, so I can't look. Just measure you existing mattress and search for the same size AeroBed...it was a standard size, maybe Queen.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #10
Redhawk

We have 2 REI "Camp Bed" self inflating air mattress's that are super comfy and insulating that we put on top of the TM mattress, but I have to deflate them and throw them on the front bed when dropping the shells. I'd like to find a way to leave them and the bags on the bed and be able to drop the shell.
The aero bed sounds like it's worth checking out.........