TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #1
Reldma

Default Not Sure What to Buy

We have been looking since last spring and still not sure what to buy. We like the TM, but also like the hybrid travel trailers. The TM has it all over the hybrid as far as towing and the inside space is much larger when opened and some other things, but still worry about some other things of the TM.
1. Don't the side wall and curtains get dirty and wet when towing in the rain?
2. The toilet seems like kind of a pain to dump, because the TM is closed if your not at a full service site. Does it dump as easy as the travel trailers?
3. We visited a camper dealer and they said they use to carry TM's, but had to many service problems with them being out of line. They said there is not enough support for the beds and they move side to side when used and that makes them out of alignment. Fact or Fiction?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Reldma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
mtnguy

#1. My curtains and sidewalls have never gotten wet while traveling in the rain. That said, if the side of the TM is wet while taking down, the front shell curtains will get wet (and dirty) as it rubs up against the back shell. We try to wipedown the back shell as much as possible before closing up when wet, including the roof that goes in between the shells when folded. Dust might be a little more of a problem then with a traditional TT.

#2. After checking to make sure your exterior black water valve is closed, you can pull the inside valve right before you close the TM. At the dump station, open the exterior toilet valve, close, then pull the gray water valve to help flush the line. Remember to close the interior toilet valve when you get home. I have had to raise the TM a couple of times at the dump station when I forgot to open the interior valve....but that doesn't take but a minute or 2 more.

The beds have plenty of support (I believe they are rated @ 600 lbs. ????). You have to be somewhat careful when you push the beds in to keep them straight, but that is a minor issue with us. But 1 very important thing: Always make sure the beds are "locked in" before using them. The beds swivel up for your emergency exit, and too much weight on the back side without locking in might land you on the ground below. Haven't experienced that yet.

We looked at hybrids also. The main thing we didn't like was the towing height, and usually you have to make the beds when you open the ends. We leave the beds made in the TM, although sans pillows and thick comforters......too close of a clearance between the shells for those. I imagine there is not much time difference between setting up a TM and setting up the beds in a hybrid.

Chap
Old 10-04-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper View Post
I gotta push my beds at the center when closing, or they sorta bind up a little.

I forgot about having to dry the canvas.....good point Leon.

Chap
Old 10-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default Another thought

We owned several popup campers, before getting our TrailManor.

The first time out in our TrailManor was at Cherrystone RV Park on the Chesapeake Bay. Beautiful during the day, but 30 - 40 mph winds at night; we were warm and safe in our Trailmanor, rather than thinking about retreating to our car as we used to do when we were in our popup! No canvas flapping in the wind, rock-and-rolling camper, spray inside the camper during a very hard rainstorm.

The dealers that criticize TrailManor either don't know how great TrailManor's support/Customer Service is OR they are thinking about their commission for selling fifth wheelers, etc. We love our TrailManor; so will you, if you carefully select the one that meets your needs and then come to this forum for advice!

Happy Camping!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Deacon View Post
No canvas flapping in the wind, rock-and-rolling camper, spray inside the camper during a very hard rainstorm.
Happy Camping!
As a previous pop-up owner, I also forgot about the canvas flapping in the wind in my previous post. The reason that we decided to sell our pop-up and move up to something else, was a very windy camping trip on the Skyline Drive that bent my main support pole on 1 side......I had to collapse that side completely and sleep on the opposite side during the wind storm.

Chap
Old 10-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #6
larsdennert

I don't know what a hybrid is. Maybe someone can tell me/us. The curtains stay pretty clean and dry as there are seals everywhere along the bottom. They aren't water PROOF but certainly RESISTANT. You do have to remember to close the windows on the shells. Also the front bed privacy curtain will get dirty or wet if you leave it on. I scratched my head a bit to figure out how that happened but it ends up between the shells. It just slides off easy though. The toilet seems easy enough to me. There's just an extra handle inside. I have little to compare it too though as my previous camping toilet was a one handled shovel. Cost is a big factor. The TM is expensive. You can buy a tent camper or conventional box trailer for half the price. I'll take my TM thanks. It's a compromise as it stores and tows nicely but requires a bit of setup and tear down. A Box TT has less prep in that way and a tent trailer more.

Best of luck and happy camping!
Old 10-05-2007, 07:41 AM   #7
Reldma

Thanks for the replies to my questions. Maybe we have looked to much and got confused by what other folks tell us pro and con.
My wife did have another question. We have had pop ups and when we were using the beds on both ends you could feel the camper bounce when the folks on the other end moved around. Do you get the same kind of movement in the TM.
I guess one of our problems is that I want the TM and my wife wants the hybrid or expandable (whatever term you use).
Old 10-05-2007, 07:54 AM   #8
Reldma

One more question if you will bear with me.
Since we have had pop ups and know what they are like to tow, do TM's really tow just like a pop up?
We really do appreciate you taking the time to answer our questions.
Ray
Old 10-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #9
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdennert View Post
I don't know what a hybrid is. Maybe someone can tell me/us.

A hybrid looks like a traditional TT when in transit, but the beds fold down similar to a pop-up when ready to camp. The mattresses are stored in the TT, and the bed has to be made each time you set up.

Chap
Old 10-05-2007, 08:25 AM   #10
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reldma View Post
We have had pop ups and when we were using the beds on both ends you could feel the camper bounce when the folks on the other end moved around. Do you get the same kind of movement in the TM.
Even with the jacks cranked down, I still get a little movement when my dog decides to move in the front bed. I imagine you would get this in any small conventional TT also, but not sure. Others??

And about towing. My TM tows a little harder than my previous pop-up....but that weighed only 995 lbs dry. Some bigger pop-ups weigh more than my 2720. The wheels are a little further back than my old pop-up, so you have to be a little more careful around sharp turns. I get minimal sway with the TM, even in some wicked cross winds when other white knuckled RV drivers are just trying to keep their rigs in the lane. I do have a WDH, but no sway control.

Chap