TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2005, 10:24 AM   #1
mahansc

Default Insurance

When getting insurance on a TM what do you tell the insurance peeps? Meaning is it a TT or a popup? or do they have a class for the TM? thanks.

scott & kellie
Old 06-10-2005, 11:26 AM   #2
Windbreaker

It is a travel trailer. They will come take photos of it.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:30 AM   #3
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor

I just told my insurance companies what the make/model the TM was and what it cost and they seemed happy at that. Just be sure you tell both your TV insurance and homeowners insurance (if they're not the same company) as I was told the TV insurance covers you when you're on the road and homeowners insurance covers you when your TM is sitting in your driveway.
rpcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:48 AM   #4
blaire576

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahansc
When getting insurance on a TM what do you tell the insurance peeps? Meaning is it a TT or a popup? or do they have a class for the TM? thanks.

scott & kellie
hi you could try http://www.insurance-quote-free.com Like a good neighbor, they'll give rebates to their customers if claims are down for a given year.

blaire
Old 05-03-2006, 05:01 AM   #5
Grouse

Default RV Insurance

I don't know if the following will help anyone but here goes:

RV (TM) insurance is relatively inexpensive.
Liability while being towed comes from the TV
Liability while camping may come from your homeowners insurance if used as a temporary residence premises
Your TM is not covered by your homeowners insurance
Your insurance company may add the TM to your auto policy or it may choose to add it to your homeowners policy. Occasionally they will provide a separate policy.
In most cases you will want to contact your agent. Most of us will have our home/auto insurance with the same agent as most companies offer a multiple policy discount for combining the two. This is usually your best source for coverage. If not, then you will probably want to contact your auto insurer as most companies add RVs to the auto policy.
The best coverage available is from a specialty insurer such as Foremost or thru the Good Sam Club.
Which ever you choose, the agent will request the information they need. Most insurers do not distinguish between a camper (pop up), travel trailer or 5th Wheel. After all, the risk factors are about the same and it is the amount you insure it for that matters. Some companies base rates on the cost new only and other companies base rates on the actual cash value (blue book or NADA).
Confirm if items such as the awning are covered as part of the trailer or does coverage need to be added. Rare, but some companies will request that coverage be added.

Your (friendly?) camping insurance agent.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:16 PM   #6
Storm Wootan

I just got Inc today for are new TM .........
Progressive has the best in RV Inc it is better then adding it to
your car policy
way more protection...
Storm/\/
Old 05-04-2006, 06:38 AM   #7
Debian Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcoombs
I just told my insurance companies what the make/model the TM was and what it cost and they seemed happy at that.
Yep! Except they wanted to know MSRP
Old 05-04-2006, 08:22 AM   #8
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debian Dog
Yep! Except they wanted to know MSRP
My State Farm Agent wanted to know what we paid for it, not MSRP. The primary purpose of the insurance, from my perspective, is to pay off the loan in the even of total destruction.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:37 AM   #9
Grouse

All insurance companies have different requirements, different coverage and different rates. Although not always the case, you will probably find the quality of your coverage (not the $$$$$ of coverage but rather what you have coverage for) will cost more than budget policies offered by some carriers.

No matter what you wish to cover (loan balance, replacement or what ever), you must meet the requirements of the policy or you could find your self without coverage. That is why it so important to work with your agent.

From my perspective, doing business with a reputable company and a trusted agent usually gives the best value. Nothing wrong with .com insurance companies but then you are in the unenviable position of being your own agent if/when you experience difficulty or problems.

You have one of the best built travel trailers on the market. My guess is that you want the best mix of coverage/price as well.

happy camping!