TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
nicuknitter

Default What Do You Put Where?

Just picked up my new 2720. What have any of you found works well for your supply/equipment storage? It is very different from my popup and wondered what some of the more experienced Traillmanor owners have found through their experiences.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
P and B

My only advice is to keep the tools you may need to keep the TM on the road in the TV. One drawback to the TM is that the larger storage areas are not accessible when it's closed.

Phil
Old 05-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Joseph

Talking Where does all this stuff go?

Because of the load limits that are inherent in the 14 inch Marathons very little goes in the TM that is not light. All tools and extra equipment go in the TV. Clothes, linens, dishes, small television, small battery powered vacuum, small fan or heater depending on the weather, none-perishables, etc…( but all very light in weight ) go in the TM. The back battery storage area has extra power cords and hoses. The back bumper holds a few odds and ends. But nothing of any weight goes in the TM. I too came up from a pop-up, a Coleman Santa Fe. It had no outside storage to speak of so my transaction was not bad. If your pop-up had one of those external storage areas I can see where the adjustment may have you scratching your head for a second or two. But then again, your pop-up experience will serve you well with the TM. Good luck and happy camping.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I have a sturdy box of "towing and setup stuff" - it is the last thing that goes into my tow vehicle, just inside the tailgate back glass, so it is easily accessible at any time. Grease and oil for the hitch ball and springbars. Hitch coupler clip. Cheater bar for raising the springbars. Floor flange for the jackstem. Chocks. Six inch carpenter's level, and hunks of board for levelling. Cordless drill, with the Allen wrench already chucked in it. A box of latex gloves. And a roll of paper towels.

In a separate area in the tow vehicle's wayback, I keep a lug wrench, bottle jack, 12-volt compressor, and a square-drive screwdriver, where I can get at them if a tire fails.

The TM bumper compartment gets grubby stuff that won't be hurt by getting wet, such as two lengths of sewer hose and some adaptors, and the manual stabilizer crank. If you carry the wheel for the jack (I don't), this is where it would go.

TM back storage compartment gets two lengths of coiled water hose, including various adaptors and a pressure regulator, coiled TV antenna cable, heavy duty (#12 AWG) extension cord, mechanical tool box, electrical tool box.

I'm pretty religious about this layout - it was refined over several years of towing, fixing flats, setting up in unexpected places, doing on-the-road repairs, and setting up in campgrounds. And Phil's point is important. When I first got my TM, I discovered that I had stored some stuff inside the TM that I needed in a hurry outside. Or under the floor of my Explorer, so that I had to unpack the entire wayback to get to it.

Inside the TM, there is more freedom, and you will develop an arrangement that is best for you. Just remember that heavy stuff (your rock collection, as Leon used to say) goes down low, and light stuff (paper plates, etc) goes up high.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
nicuknitter

Thank you for your replies. I came from a Coleman Bayside and loved the front storage compartment. I already experienced the issue of needed equipment being inside the unit and realized that nothing is accessible without opening it up! The "camping box" is a very good idea and I will definitely be setting that up. The inside storage is a huge improvement but nothing has jumped out at me as to what might be the most convenient/logical place to start. There are cupboards and drawers all over the place!
Old 05-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
Scott O

I picked up a couple of inexpensive plastic boxes (the ones with the flip lids) from Home Depot. I use them to hold all the outside/repair stuff. Keeps all items so I know where they are and keeps everything else clean. Nothing that I will need if we are not set up is kept inside the TM. You can get inside the back bumper without setting up, but getting the cover back in place is nearly impossible. And by the way, if your new TM is a 2009 did it come with 15" wheels? I read somewhere that is the way they come now, which will avoid you having the most serious problem frequently discussed on this forum.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
ThePair
TrailManor Master

The new 2009.5 models all have 15" wheels. I have one

The rear bumper cover is actually not bad to get back on, even with the TM closed. I keep a hose, the tongue/jack wheel, stabilizer crank, and sewer stuff in there, for now. Battery compartment has all of the outside stuff that isn't needed to set up, like misc tools, stuff for the grill, an awning mat, picnic blanket, small table & chairs for the kids. I've gotten one of those under-sink 2-shelf units to put in there, I haven't had the chance to do so yet.

TV gets battery-powered drill with hex-key for stabilizers, bar for WDH chains, lube for ball & trunnions, wheel chocks & levelers. Also in the TV are a bottle jack, lug-nut wrench and 12V/120V air compressor, a level and paper towels.

Inside, so far, we've put clothing-type stuff in the closet and drawers beneath. The space under the bed inside is for sheets/towels and pillows, first aid kit, step stool and some games. The two cabinets between the closet-space and the oven are for kitchen goods, the right-side is food pantry, and the left-side are things like bowls and a folding dish-drying rack.

Over-sink cabinet has all the dishes (melamine, reasonably light) and cups (plastic). Over-stove cabinet has long-handled utensils and dishtowels. Drawer to the right of the oven is the "utility" drawer, while the drawer in the Microwave shelf has flatware. Under the couch in the front has outside chairs, boots, balls, and some other misc items.

We've only been out once, so far, but this arrangement has worked out very well for us on that trip. I don't feel that anything is really "out of place".

Marc
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #8
Queeniereads

I picked up a couple of good ideas form another TM owner. In the wardrobe, we now have a cloth "shoe" hanger that we bought at IKEA. If you can get the kind with a back on compartments, you can put undies in them and they do not fall out. Under the kitchen counters which in the 3124KS demand a long reach, I have about 8 plastic wash basins from Walmart. It keeps everything in its space while we tow and is easier to get stuff out quickly. I also did it with canned foods and spices. We seldom use the cabinets above the sofa and I did not even remember the space under the sofa until this weekend -- have had it for 4 years. LOL WHen we are spending longer times in the TM, those will be valuable storage spaces. Another TM owner bought a hassock (they have them at Bed, Bath and Beyond and TJ Maxx) with storage capacity inside to hold their shoes. GOod idea. Happy camping -- the Queen
PS I know nothing about the outside as I let hubby do that part. LOL
Old 05-27-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
PopBeavers

Rear compartment: Pit-2-Go, small BBQ, 3-25 foot water hoses, 2 collapsible garbage cans, water filter, axe, small parts.

left dinette seat, alongside 40 gallon water tank: 2-50 foot water hoses, 2-3 gallon collapsible water containers, 1 water funnel.

right dinette seat: 2 green CW rugs, outdoor propane stove, outdoor speakers with wires, numerous table cloths.

Rear indoor cabinet: games, towels, bar, electric heater, 1 gallon thermos, small clamp-on portable fan, some other stuff.

Over sink cabinet: plates, cups, glasses, coffee filters.

Under sink: BBQ tools, plastic bags, dish drainer, Tupperware, cooking foil, zip lock bags, cutting boards.

Under oven: pots and pans.

Next cabinet back fro stove: percolator, carafe, potato chips.

Next cabinet: drawers for canned goods, syrup, other food items.

Drawers: clothing, towels.

Built-in kitchen drawer: silverware.

Microwave drawer: serving spoons, knives, cork screw.

Front cabinet: Frisbees, extra napkins.

Truck: chocks, Leggo blocks, motorcycles, bikes, generator, gas, lantern, coolers, helmets, riding gear, tow strap, battery charger, ropes, tools, portable awning, chairs, outdoor table, outdoor rug.

List not complete.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:34 AM   #10
nicuknitter

Thank you all for your replies. I have decided that some bins are the way to go for the cupboards. My arms don't reach all the way to the back of them. I plan on going out again in July and am hoping to try for a few days in June also.