TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2002, 09:35 AM   #1

Default Height of trailmanor (with roof ac)

Hi,

we are currently thinking about buying a Trailmanor (2720SL)  . One of our requirements is that it fits in our garage (height: i measured 80" and length:19'8&quot. The specification on their website says: height: 63" +13", which means we would have about 4 inches left.

On one of the other posts I read, that the height specification on the website are not correct and the Trailmanors are higher. Does anybody have some more details? What is the real height including roof AC? If the TM height does not fit, are TMs with a side AC still available?

We also would need the swing around tongue. Would a Class 3 hitch with equalizing bars still work? We have a 97 Grand Cherokee (4L). Does anybody have some recommendations?

Thanks a lot! Any info appreciated!
Old 06-16-2002, 01:02 AM   #2

Default Re: height of trailmanor (with roof ac)

We garage our 2720 and garage-ability is a big reason we wanted a TM.  I was able to remove only the rear bumper to have our fit.  

You are about 1/2 foot shy on the length so the swing tongue option is a solution.  The TM swing tongue is a nicely engineered product.  The tongue accepts a 2" ball.

Height may be a problem.  Call the factory and check with Jimmy Davis about the height.  If so, ask him about the side A/C possibility.  I would bet TM would custom build this to order since each unit is usually built by dealer order.  Also, depending on where and how you plan to camp you might even consider having no A/C.  

Old 06-16-2002, 01:48 AM   #3
hal

It is my understanding that on the latest models of TrailManors, that the roof mounted air conditioner is no longer mounted on the rear roof section.  The forward section is three to four inches higher due to its need to overlap the rear section when both are closed.  Thes means  that the front roof mounted air conditioner  would sit about three to four higher than earlier models.  It has been suggested that this additional height may not clear the top of the garage door opening.

Can anyone verify this?

Also, we have the removable type tongue as compared with the pivoting version. We are able to shorten our trailer by 30" because of it.  The pivotal version shortens the trailer by about 18" (?). We would never be able to get the garage door closed with the pivotal version.   Before you invest in either version, you should do some measuring.

Hal

Old 06-16-2002, 09:51 AM   #4

Hal,

Not only does the unit sit on the higher forward shell but the inside portion of the unit must remain more or less flush to the inner surface so it sits even higher on the forward shell.  I think there is a plastic ABS adapter to do this but someone with a new unit can verify since I only remember seeing these at the factory earlier this year.

So I'm guessing more like 6" higher.  It's pretty close to 7'.

The TM swing tongue is pretty cool as it pivots aside smoothly on a concrete floor -- no heavy parts to handle and no having to provide an second support for the front end.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:54 AM   #5
arknoah

You may also need to measure not only the garage door opening, but the height of the bottom of the garage door when it is opened.  In our case, the bottom of the garage door is about 6" lower than the full height of the opening.

Old 06-17-2002, 10:33 AM   #6
Happytrails

FJ, took me a bit to figure out what you were talking about, but I see what you are saying. How much the bottom of the door hangs down when open. On mine, my automatic garage door opener broke, and as I've not had time to really mess with it, I've just been opening and closing it by hand. Unfortunately what broke it that I didn't realize is one of the cables broke, leaving just one helper spring to raise it. That being the case, (and having to open it manually),  it didn't always stay up by itself, so I took to placing a stick right in the track where the garage door will stay up, as the stick is about 1" higher than the garage door opening, I have NO overhang of the bottom of the garage door. Perhaps this *tip/trick* might help you guys, or someone else. While working on mine, I just happened to have a lot of 1"x 1.5" lengths of lumber around, and it works PERFECT for holding that door up. If you have an automatic garage door opener, pull the handle to disconnect it so you may open it manually.

Hope this helps!
Happytrails.........
Old 06-20-2002, 03:06 AM   #7
arknoah

Bill,

Let me see if that will give me a bit more height.  Thanks!
Old 06-20-2002, 05:41 PM   #8

Remember there's a 4" lift kit (ground clearance) option available.  Sounds like you're thinking of a new trailer since all the previoius year 2720SLs have the window air under the counter.   If you're concerned about height, you probably don't want a trailer with this option.

I doubt the specs on the web site would reflect this.

Just one thing to think about.
Old 06-21-2002, 10:30 AM   #9
Happytrails

It should F.J. Also, make sure it's a small stick so it doesn't stick out causing a side to side clearence problem. I just stick it right in the track and let the metel wheel rest on it........works pretty good!

Happytrails......
Old 06-28-2002, 02:37 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Yup, the roof A/C is mounted on the front roof, on top of a box-like spacer that lifts it a couple inches above the roof.  My '02 2720SL has a Dometic Brisk Air airco, and the rig has an overall height of just barely shy of 7' - maybe 83-1/2 inches. On the other hand, Wade (another frequent poster to this group), has a newer '02 2720SL, and he says his came with a Coleman A/C. There may be a height difference - he would have to measure his unit and tell you.

The swing tongue is great. It is removeable, by the way, though there doesn't seem to be much reason to do so unless you need to get the coupler serviced (as I did). In that case, removeability is a Godsend. And a Class 3 hitch receiver works wonderfully with the swing tongue and an equalizer hitch. My '02 Explorer came equipped with a Class 3 receiver, and a Reese equalizer ball mount just slips in great.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote