TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-22-2005, 04:50 PM   #1
heyokasni

Post Driving on winter roads

Out tow vehicle - a 1997 4WD Toyota T100 is ready. I've installed a transmission cooler and a Prodigy brake controller. I purchased extension mirrors. I very much appreciate the excellent advice we've received in this forum helping us prepare for this journey.

We are leaving Oregon for California in 2 weeks to pick up our 1988 TrailManor 26. We're getting excited. We will get our Weight Distribution Hitch installed and adjusted after we pick up the trailer in California.

This time of year, interstate 5 can have snow or ice on the road, especially near Mount Shasta. I have chains for the rear wheels of the TV. I'll make sure the water system in the TrailManor is winterized before we hit the road. Do I need to do anything additional to prepare the trailer for being towed in potentially snowy or icy conditions? Do I need to purchase anything to make the journey as safe and uneventful as possible? The trailer should be roadworty. It has new tires, new brakes and the bearings were recently packed.

Also, I'd like some suggestions on driving/braking tactics in case we need to travel under less than ideal conditions. I have no experience towing anything with electric brakes, or towing anything this heavy. By the way, it is an option to take the coast route. That will take longer but has less potential for encountering snowy or icy conditions.

Thanks, Blake Basham
Old 12-22-2005, 07:51 PM   #2
Magdefrau

Too Late......you are correct....avoid rain storms.....after dark is possible but next time....well, there are so many RV parks along the way that if I misjudge my travel time, new friends and good times will be included in an unscheduled sleep over. Snow and Ice mercy.....never let me go out without my wife and that will never happen.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:33 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

My advice echoes those above - do not tow on slippery roads. If the roads have been plowed and salted down to bare pavement, fine. But if the roads are so bad that you need 4WD or chains on your tow vehicle? Well, the chains are wonderful for climbing a slippery grade, or stopping your tow vehicle on a slippery road or a descending grade. But what if your TM decides it doesn't want to stop, but would rather lock its wheels and skid and swing out to the side? You will be in big trouble, really fast. Leon and Magdefrau are right - find a campground or RV park, pull in, set up, and enjoy the pleasure of a TM in the snow.

Been there, done that, in Pennsylvania Dutch country. In an unexpected blizzard, we got a campsite, set up the TM, left the dog and the cat nice and comfy inside. We went out and explored Amish country in the new-fallen snow - in our 4WD vehicle, WITHOUT the TM behind. It was beautiful, and we were safe and sound when we arrived back at the TM in the evening.

Lemons, lemonade, and all that.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Often the difference between an icy, snow-covered road and one that is clear is an overnight stop, or even half a day. I'd avoid towing in the snow. If you don't have to do it, don't do it. If you do have to do it, I'd think that you would want to put chains on the trailer tires and take off the "skirts" while you have the chains on. Given the amount of damage that I've seen on at least one of our cars with chains on, I would think that you would be risking some major damage to your new TM that you are driving so far to pick up.

Just keep your eyes & ears on the weather and plan ahead. You might want to make a list of places you can stay in the TM on the way home, should you need to make a stop, there are many along I-5. Hopefully you will have enough time set aside so that you can stop if you need to. Bring along a small portable TV (and some coax cable to hook up to the cable TV should you stop at a place that has it) that you can keep in the TM for your overnight stops (you are planning on camping in it on the way home, aren't you?) so that you can check the weather. The weatherman tonight said that our snow level here (in the Sierras) is at 8,000 - 10,000 feet, but that might not be the case further north. There are plenty of nice RV parks in Redding that you could stop in to wait out the snow on the way north. I can remember some very heavy rains between there and Salem on our many trips over the last 30 years.

The coast would be an option, but it's been raining so much that it might also be a tough drive, without much to see, if it's raining and foggy. If you have unlimited time, it would depend on which way you really want to go. We're definitely into the rainy season here; it was havoc on the local freeways today; three rollovers just in Santa Cruz County.

There is a toll free number for the CA highway conditions - 1-800-427-7623. It prompts you to speak the Highway number that you want reports on and gives you the current conditions.

Keep your speed down, and don't push it. Read the posts on this thread: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ighlight=video

Good Luck on your trip home!
Old 12-22-2005, 09:59 PM   #5
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Hey Blake,
I live in the Sierra's just a little east of Red Bluff, CA. We drive in snow all winter long. I echo the advice given above.

One thing I would add. Get a set of cable-style chains for the TM. They take less room in the wheel well and will assist in braking just as well. When you are towing, chains on the trailer wheels are referred to as "drag chains". When you apply the trailer brakes, they will likely lock up on slippery surfaces, and "drag" the trailer to a safe, straight stop. If you are not planning other trips in snowy conditions, I'd forego the expense, and pull off the road if the conditions warrant it.

Most importantly, never drive at speeds in excess of 35 mph in the snow, and never apply the brakes quickly on slippery surfaces... instead, down shift to slow down and lightly apply pressure to the brake pedal. The worst situation on slippery roads is (1) black ice: i.e. ice on asphalt that you cannot see, primarily where water has run across a road, or pooled, then frozen in 32 degrees or lower weather. It can continue to be a problem when the temperature rises to 38-40 degrees if the roadway is shaded and the sun doesn't melt the ice, and (2) slushy snow, 2-3" thick. Your vehicle can hydroplane on slush at speeds as low as 10-15 mph. Slush is very wet, melting snow. We spun out once when it was falling... in a rain storm as we gained altitude in became slushy snow. Fortunately, although we slid off the side of the road, down an incline, the car wasn't damaged and we weren't hurt. Waited 1.5 hours for a tow truck to get us back on the road.

CalTrans keeps I-5 cleared pretty well. If the road gets too dangerous, the CHP will close the highway to all traffic. We have a favorite campground on the south end of Weed (Exit 745), which has several gas stations and a SubWay shop, as well as other restaurants. It is called Friendly RV Park, and is far enough off the highway to avoid most of the traffic noise.

Merry Christmas and enjoy your TM.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:31 PM   #6
Freedom

If you get caught, as we did once between Amarillo, TX and Tucumcari, NM, fall in behind a semi and let him break the way for you. Don't follow too close, though, the spray can be blinding. Another time we followed a semi right off the exit ramp into Baker City, OR. We couldn't see, but truck drivers sit high enough that they have better visibility. As others stated, stay off the road if possible when it's that bad!
Old 12-23-2005, 09:06 AM   #7
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

We've towed a trailer on I-5 from Seattle to the LA area and on to Texas in early Jan for the last 10 yrs and were stopped by snow in the Oregon/Calif high country last year for the first time. We waited it out but to proceed in snow the Troopers would have required us to have chains on all wheels including the TM. This was true for both 4X4 and 2X4 TVs. 4X4s with traction tires but without trailers were allowed through as well as 2X4s with chains. We are never in such a hurry that we will drive in snow if there is an alternative. We do carry chains for our TV drive wheels in case of emergency but hope we never have to use them.

We biked the Wa/Oregon coasts with two other couples in Oct and it's such a beautiful trip I think we'll go that way from now on regardless of weather. Everyone should see the Oregon coast before their number is called.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 04:40 PM   #8
PopBeavers

I second the vote for cable chains. I prefer old fashioned links when driving in heavy ice, but the cable style ride much smoother, are easier to install, and have a lower clearance requirement. For casual use in sno, but not ice, that is my first choice.

You mentioned winterizing the water in the TM. I believe all you need to do is properly drain it. There is no requirement to add any antifreeze.

Black ice has been mentioned. Be careful going over overcrossings. Because they are surrounded by air all the way around it is not unusul to find ice on the bridge when the road is just wet. I have hit that several times on the way to Reno.

I believe that in California the maximum speed is 25 when chain controls are in effect.

I believe that salt is never used in California. You will find sand being dropped to improve traction.

I believe that studded tires are illegal in California. Use chains or cables.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:27 PM   #9
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

PS: Make sure the tires aren't too old...5 years seem to be the max for trailer tires (and that's pushing it). You don't want to be stuck on the side of the road in bad weather with a flat, or worse yet, a blowout, which can cause substantial damage to the underside of your trailer. We had a blowout 2 summers ago on tires that looked brand new, but turned out to be original on our 7 year old TM. It was not a fun experience. Is there a spare? Do you have RV roadside assistance? Do you have at least one jack, lots of blocks, and wheel chocks?
Old 12-24-2005, 11:32 PM   #10
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers
I believe that in California the maximum speed is 25 when chain controls are in effect.
25 mph is the max. when driving w/chains. However, 35 mph is the speed "recommended" when snow is on the ground, but no chain controls in effect. 35 mph may be too fast for conditions, so be aware of other conditions, like air temperature, that effect slippery roads.

Quote:
I believe that salt is never used in California. You will find sand being dropped to improve traction. .
Crushed lava rock (the red stuff) is the choice of CalTRANS in our area. It is very effective, without the corrosive effects of salt. Sand is used elsewhere in CA where lava rock may not be readily available.

Quote:
I believe that studded tires are illegal in California. Use chains or cables.
Studded tires are approved in CA. They are allowed between Nov. 1 and May 31 in areas prone to having snow. We can put the studded tires on earlier than Nov. 1 if snow conditions require. I put mine on the second week of Oct. this year. Then rain washed away the 5" is snow within 48 hours, but I still have the studs on.

Whatever you do, drive carefully. I second the suggestion to drive down the Oregon and CA coast. You should be able to cut over to I-5 from 101 on Hiway 20 at Willits without encountering an snow.