TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-03-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
2bcs1jrt

Default Mounting Fluorescent Lighting.

I ordered fluorescent light fixtures from the TM Factory to replace my 12v lights in my 10 yr old TM. They arrived today...with no mounting hardware or instructions. I left a message for someone at TM to call me. While Im waiting, can someone out there in the all knowing world of the TM Forum possibly help me? Does anyone have mounting instructions that they could share? Or is it so straight forward that is isn't necessary for anyone but me.
Cheri
Old 07-03-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We just used a couple of screws and attached the wires; tried to use existing screw holes. Be sure that you place the new fixtures (they're probably bigger than your old ones) in a place where they won't get in the way of anything in the lower half when you close down. The wires were held together in the old fixtures with these little clamp things that I'd never seen before. I'd think that wire nuts and maybe some electrical tape would do the trick also.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:35 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Cheri -

I bought some fluorescent fixtures - not from the factory, but they should be the same. Mounting is easy. You'll need a screwdriver, and an ice pick (or a medium-size nail and a hammer).
  • Disconnect the battery, or pull the fuse for the lighting circuit.
  • Unscrew the old fixtures and disconnect the wires. As you disconnect them, make a note of the color! White is always white, but sometimes black is red. And if there are three wires per fixture (I just don't remember) green may be bare copper,.
  • Remove the decorative front cover from the new fixtures. As I recall, this is just a matter of squeezing the sides gently together.
  • Hold the new fixture in place. Make sure that the end with the switch is where you want it, and that the wires in the new fixture are located at the existing hole in the ceiling skin. If you need to make the hole a little bigger, or move it slightly, just do do it. No big deal, the skin cuts with a sharp utility knife.
  • Push the ice pick through the mounting holes in the new fixture, and then through aluminum ceiling skin, to make new holes as needed. ISTR that there are four screws per fixture.
  • Attach the wires from the new fixture in the same place that the old fixture wires were attached.
  • Once the new fixture is dangling by the wires, use the screws that you removed from the old fixture to attach the new one to the ceiling.
  • Replace the decorative covers.
In preparation, you might do one other thing. To connect the wires, TM uses some connectors that are real handy in a production situation, but a PITA for the average individual to deal with. You might want to buy some regular old wire nuts in advance, in case you get frustrated. You probably need a few red ones and a few orange ones.

Post again (or PM me) if this doesn't make sense.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #4
2bcs1jrt

Thanks guys! it makes perfect sense. Just wanted to make sure before I mess something up.
Cheri
Old 07-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #5
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

One thing that Bill did not mention. The roof is only 1 inch thick. Use 1/2 or 3/4 inch screws to prevent poking a hole in the roof.
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:28 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Hoo, boy, Mike, I completely forgot about that. Good catch!
Naturally the same comment applies when you are poking around with an ice pick, or slicing around with a utility knife!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:34 PM   #7
2bcs1jrt

You see why I ask?
Cheri