TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
KSBASS

Talking Setting up to pull a TM 2720

Hey, We're joining the TM Club! The family is excited about the new camper and we're ready to take our show on the road

I'm buying a used TM 2720 and will be pulling it home within the week. I've got a Honda Odyssey with tow package but will need to install the brake controller and purchase a WDH. The previous owner did not use a WDH with his Dodge Dually thus I need to get one. I've had previous towing experience, am mechanically inclined and can likely accomplish the controller install and WDH mounting, what I need help with is selecting the WDH that will work perfectly with my setup. Can someone help me with the WDH selection? I plan to buy the Prodigy controller unless someone has a better solution. Question for the controller install though... Does anyone offer a direct plug for the Honda wiring?

Also need some towing mirror advice for the Odyssey.

Thanks in advance!

Troy
www.thesimontons.com
Old 06-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There are a lot of good WDHs out there, and I don't think any poor ones - assuming you size it correctly. However, there is a wide range of prices. You can pay a bit over $200, or you can pay over $2000.

I would suggest that you start by looking at Reese or Draw-Tite hitches, and maybe Valley and Hidden Hitch as well. There are others, of course - many people like the Equal-I-Zer, but it is more expensive and has some disadvantages, so I don't go there.

As far as size, I would suggest 800 or 1000 pounds. Don't go any lighter than 800. And 1200 pounds is overkill. You will end up with a two-spring-bar hitch - the single-bar hitches are lighter weight, and sometimes pose problems with the fit.

By the way, the phrase "equalizer hitch" has become synonymous with "weight distributing hitch", much as the word "Kleenex" has become synonymous with "tissue". The phrase "equalizer hitch" does NOT imply the hitch made by the Equal-I-Zer company, although the Equal-I-Zer is one example of an equalizer hitch.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
KSBASS

Bill

Thanks! The "equalizier" hitch brings back vivid memories of watching my dad strain with the cheater bar to strap up the bars on our old Road Ranger tied to the Country Squire wagon with simulated woodgrain side panels. I sure hope things are better now and the strap up part is less painful. I also have memories of running with the windows down and heater on full blast in the middle of summer to keep the engine from over heating!

I got on the phone and called around. Found a dealer close by that sells the Reese 1000# WDH, the Tekonsha controllers and various mirrors. He quoted me $453 for the WDH, controller and middle of the road mirrors. That's parts cost only of course. I'm headed there now. I'll try out the mirrors to see what fits and stays put.
Thanks
Troy
Old 06-19-2007, 10:26 PM   #4
KSBASS

Default Made it home safely with our new TM!!

569 miles from northern IL to NE Kansas with our "new" '04 2720. Big storms in IL yesterday made for fun driving but bigger storms in KS made us decide to camp out in Newton, IA. Beautiful driving weather today. The Odyssey had no problem at all pulling at 60-65. Ran nice! Got new tires ordered (Coopers) and will get them this week. Look forward to more adventures with the TM and the great advice on this forum. Our Family band will have it soft! Thanks so much!