TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-21-2014, 12:21 AM   #1
BGR123

Thumbs up Tent camper finally gets a comfy place to sleep.

I just joined the forum and wanted to say hello. I am a first time TM owner and I have to say that without this forum and the great people here that I would be lost. We have been tent campers for years but now that I am retired it is time to upgrade. Two weeks ago we purchased a used 2013 2720 TM. The TM is in great shape but there are a few things that will require attention. The wife and I are doing a short maiden and shakedown voyage to Lake Jennings camp ground close to home here in Oceanside Ca.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

welcome,enjoy your TM

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:56 AM   #3
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Hi Neighbor and welcome to the forum. DW and I have camped at Lake Jennings. It is a good spot for your first TM experience. We purchased ours about a year and a half ago and we think it's the perfect way to camp. Please don't hesitate to ask questions or seek advice, cause that's something we all did in the beginning. Be sure to become a full member of the forum, it will be the best $12 investment that you can make.

Enjoy camping in your new TM !

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
BGR123

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I have not looked at full membership and what it offers, I will need to look into that.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:20 AM   #5
BGR123

We did our maiden of our TM and were happy that most things worked once we got setup at Lake Jennings. When we left we had two major problems to solve. The rear shell has no power and the water heater does not start on propane.

The switch that engages the power to the rear shell is activated by an aluminum L bracket screwed to the rear bed. It was bent forward and would not make the switch. I bent it back and the rear shell power came on. But any movement of the bed and the lights would flicker. The switch is a good safety feature but the activation method is IMHO a poor design. I had to temporarily jump the switch to make it work but I do not want that to be a permanent fix because it is a safety feature. Still thinking about that one.

We ran the water heater on AC power and sometime during the first day we decided to try to get the water heater to fire on propane. What do you know it started right up while the TM was on shore power. I know the battery is good so i doubt that it is suffering from low voltage when on battery power so it is still on my list of fixes.

My general impression of the TM is that the design of the TM and its ability to morph from a light, low and short trailer to a comfortably living space is unique and innovative. The aluminum construction should with proper care last for many years. Most of the internal features and appliances are on par for a $30k ish trailer. However the thin plastic rails that the rear bed rides on and the plastic bathroom wall edge trim pieces tend to snag each other and cause them to pop off or get damaged.

I would like to see TM improve some of the interior construction components and fastening methods but all in all it is a good product. So in the final analysis would I recommend the TM to someone else? Ask me in a few years.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:38 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The switch activation method you describe is new to me. In older TMs, the switch was located in the top of the lower rear bathroom wall, and was activated when the upper wall was stood up. However, it was sometimes subject to the exact problem you describe. In that case, the fix was to move the switch upward by a small amount. This can be done by loosening the ring nut around the neck of the switch, pulling the switch up a bit, and retightening the nut.

I think the point is that the switch can be moved a bit if that will help the situation.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
BGR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
The switch activation method you describe is new to me. In older TMs, the switch was located in the top of the lower rear bathroom wall, and was activated when the upper wall was stood up. However, it was sometimes subject to the exact problem you describe. In that case, the fix was to move the switch upward by a small amount. This can be done by loosening the ring nut around the neck of the switch, pulling the switch up a bit, and retightening the nut.

I think the point is that the switch can be moved a bit if that will help the situation.

Bill
Thanks for the switch description Bill.

At some point TM must have changed the design. The switch is located under the bed slide out opposite the bathroom wall. The button is facing forward and the wires are connected inside the rear storage compartment. The bracket is fastened to the under side of the bed. The problem is that the rear bed can be pulled out too far which bends the L bracket when it hits the switch. I bent the bracket back but it is still not reliable because there is only one latch in the center of the rear bed and as a result the bed can pivot when occupied which causes intermittent operation. The schematic shows the LP/CO alarm board is also connected to this circuit so I am hesitant to modify it and assume the liability. The trailer is fully insured and any modification may result in a loss of coverage so i will have to call the factory and see what they recommend.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #8
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR123 View Post
Thanks for the switch description Bill.

At some point TM must have changed the design. The switch is located under the bed slide out opposite the bathroom wall. The button is facing forward and the wires are connected inside the rear storage compartment. The bracket is fastened to the under side of the bed. The problem is that the rear bed can be pulled out too far which bends the L bracket when it hits the switch. I bent the bracket back but it is still not reliable because there is only one latch in the center of the rear bed and as a result the bed can pivot when occupied which causes intermittent operation. The schematic shows the LP/CO alarm board is also connected to this circuit so I am hesitant to modify it and assume the liability. The trailer is fully insured and any modification may result in a loss of coverage so i will have to call the factory and see what they recommend.

Interesting thread. Not sure why the factory would have changed the switch position. The switch located under the bathroom wall is not affected by the position of the bed or its occupants.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
BGR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcycleguy View Post
Interesting thread. Not sure why the factory would have changed the switch position. The switch located under the bathroom wall is not affected by the position of the bed or its occupants.
I have never seen the original bathroom wall activated switch position. Does anyone have a picture of this?
Old 06-29-2014, 03:03 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR123 View Post
The problem is that the rear bed can be pulled out too far which bends the L bracket when it hits the switch.
This may be the problem, rather than a switch problem. In my TM, the back bed comes to a hard THUMP stop when pulled out. It won't go any further. My TM is not here, and I can't remember what kind of stop is used, but there is no doubt that it works solidly. Can you figure out what is supposed to stop your bed, and why it isn't doing it?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote