TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
mchantry

Default shipping a TM across country

help! can anyone recommend trucking / hauling company that ships trailers across country. I am having a difficult time finding a TM in my price budget in CA or neighboring states. I think that i will have to one shipped out here, but I don't have any leads where to look for a trucking company that does that.

any help, ideas, etc... is appreciated

thanks michelle
Old 09-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
moaboy

or you could find some retired guy or gal, unemployed person etc. who would "bring" it to you. All they need is a tow vehicle and insurance.
You pay for gas and they see the country?

I'd think you would want to make sure they have insurance or that you do in advance, but that is another option.

Not sure how you find folks, but good luck.

PS I know this is how many car dealers transport cars both short and long distances, that is they pay responsible drivers to "drive" them to another dealer or location.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Moaboy is right. These are called "drive-away companies", and a Yellow Pages search should turn up many of them. They specialize in the retiree market, moving cars from New England to Florida and back, New England and the midwest to Arizona, and runs to California. I don't know how you separate the good ones from the fly-by-nighters, but make sure the one you choose is insured, and be sure to get a copy of the policy.

A full-service mover such a Mayflower Van Lines will ship anything, but tends to be expensive. There is an alternative kind of mover where you pack your own stuff and load it on the truck yourself, that is cheaper. They will ship anything, including vehicles, and partial loads are welcome. I'm not sure what they call these companies, but ABF U-Pak is an example. When I retired, we moved half our worldly possessions, including one car, from Maine to Arizona via ABF. The experience was not particularly good, but it worked.

Another alternative is an outfit dedicated to shipping antique and classic cars. There are a number of them - you see their big vans on the road occasionally. They tend to pamper the vehicles a bit, so they may be more expensive. But a search on "classic car transport" should turn up several.

Good luck.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
RogerR

I have a friend who trailers cars between dealers when they trade new cars and don't want any miles on the cars. He suggested that the rates had to be no lower than $1.00 per mile round trip to cover costs. This would make a midwest to west coast delivery cost thousands.

How about just making the trip to pick it up part of the vacation that year?

Also, if you do need professionals in the trailer hauling business try looking in Indiana. A lot of the manufacturers of trailers are there and there are companies that specialize in delivering trailers to the dealers around the USA.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
Elidh11

Hey, Michelle - I assume you've seen this TM on Craig's List?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/2595228526.html
Old 09-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Google: "rv hauling companies"

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
KevinP

Michelle, we live in San Diego, and we found the TM we wanted in Portland OR. I used this service to find a shipper: http://www.uship.com/vehicles/. You put in what you are shipping, and from and to where, and then shippers start sending you bids. I paid 600.00 to have mine delivered. Some will tow it, others can carry it and the price may be similar without the worry of a tire blowout. You'll have to figure out how to verify the condition and function of the trailer and appliances from a distance. Kevin
Old 09-16-2011, 06:45 AM   #8
camp2canoe

Just yesterday we had a '65 Mustang delivered from Milford, Ohio, to Springfield, Illinois (a little over 300 miles) on an open car hauler. We paid $500 for the delivery. We probably could have saved a little if we were willing to wait longer for service. - David