TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
emeded

Default Potential purchase of 1998 TrailManor 3124KS

Hi,
I run into 1998 TrailManor 3124KS in my area and I am debating if I should buy it. They are asking $5000 for it. I looked at it once, just for a short period of time, and not having experience with TM's or any other type of a trailer, do not feel really comfortable buying it. I feel like there are soooo many things that could be broken (fridge, stove, electric, plumbing, bearings etc...) and not sure if I could check all those things. One specific thing that I noticed is that beds do not hing properly. From outside I can see that front left side bed support does not slide all the way out, and same is happening with the rear right side. Does this mean that shells or frame is bend? Is this a big damage?
I plan to go over and do more extensive check using one of the buying checklist I found here on the forum.
I do not think the trailer is worth $5K, but wanted to check with people that know better here at the great TM forum.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
gerrym51

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeded View Post
Hi,
I run into 1998 TrailManor 3124KS in my area and I am debating if I should buy it. They are asking $5000 for it. I looked at it once, just for a short period of time, and not having experience with TM's or any other type of a trailer, do not feel really comfortable buying it. I feel like there are soooo many things that could be broken (fridge, stove, electric, plumbing, bearings etc...) and not sure if I could check all those things. One specific thing that I noticed is that beds do not hing properly. From outside I can see that front left side bed support does not slide all the way out, and same is happening with the rear right side. Does this mean that shells or frame is bend? Is this a big damage?
I plan to go over and do more extensive check using one of the buying checklist I found here on the forum.
I do not think the trailer is worth $5K, but wanted to check with people that know better here at the great TM forum.

Thanks!
price a new one then make offer on old one
Old 11-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

If you can find a TM owner in the area to go look at it with you, this would be very helpful. $5K for a 1998 is not a bad price, depending on the condition. The bed support thingeys are not a big deal at all, unless the support arms themselves are bent. When I first bought ours, they regularly popped out until I got them adjusted properly. If you don't know anything about TM's though, the purchase of an older unit can be scary.

Where are you located? Perhaps someone here could help you check it out.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
emeded

Quote:
If you can find a TM owner in the area to go look at it with you, this would be very helpful. $5K for a 1998 is not a bad price, depending on the condition. The bed support thingeys are not a big deal at all, unless the support arms themselves are bent. When I first bought ours, they regularly popped out until I got them adjusted properly. If you don't know anything about TM's though, the purchase of an older unit can be scary.

Where are you located? Perhaps someone here could help you check it out.
Hi B_and_D,
Thanks for the tip! I am located in Sacramento, CA area. If any Trailmanor owner lives here and would like to help me with looking at it, I would appreciate it. Lunch is on me!
I realize I would not be able to check everything on that trailer, so would like to concentrate on most important/cost intensive repair parts/appliances to check for. What are the most expensive repairs/accessories I should check for proper operations?

Thanks again.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Hi B_and_D,
Thanks for the tip! I am located in Sacramento, CA area. If any Trailmanor owner lives here and would like to help me with looking at it, I would appreciate it. Lunch is on me!
I realize I would not be able to check everything on that trailer, so would like to concentrate on most important/cost intensive repair parts/appliances to check for. What are the most expensive repairs/accessories I should check for proper operations?

Thanks again.
Fridge (on 12v, 110v and propane), water heater, furnace and stove......in that order,

Just face the fact that you will probably have to put on new tires (I recommend installing a lift kit and 15" tires & wheels if it doesn't have them already), have the wheel bearings replaced and battery.....add $1,000 to the $5K and it's still cheap (if it doesn't have wood-rot somewhere).

Ask the owner to set it up and turn the fridge on propane the night before you get there. Ask him to put a bowl of water in the freezer. If it freezes, your good to go on the fridge (on propane)........don't know what to tell you about the 12v and 110v side. If the propane side works, the rest probably does too.

When you get there, have him light the water heater (be sure it is full of water), it either works or it doesn't. You will see the big flame in the chamber, like a rocket taking off.

Have him turn on the furnace. It should work by turning on a switch at the bottom of the thermostat, then turn the thermo up. It will take a few seconds to light. The blower will come on 1st but be sure that it puts out hot air.

Turn on the water pump, run the water and be sure there are no leaks.

Look at the plumbing pipes behind the left front tire and make sure nothing is broken (it will be obvious if it is). Run the water in the sink and let it go down the drain for ~5 minutes. Then look under the trailer, behind the axle to see if the holding tank leaks.

Have the owner show you how to put the trailer up and fold it down several times, until you are comfortable that everything works and fits right (shower walls, entry door etc).

Lastly........don't screw around because if it's a good deal, it will be gone. I just sold a '98 2720 for $8K and could have gotten more. However, the tires, bearings, brakes, batteries ($300 worth) on that trailer was less than a year old. I put down new floors, inverter, converter and A/C all within the last 2 years.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
emeded

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
Fridge (on 12v, 110v and propane), water heater, furnace and stove......in that order,

Just face the fact that you will probably have to put on new tires (I recommend installing a lift kit and 15" tires & wheels if it doesn't have them already), have the wheel bearings replaced and battery.....add $1,000 to the $5K and it's still cheap (if it doesn't have wood-rot somewhere).

Ask the owner to set it up and turn the fridge on propane the night before you get there. Ask him to put a bowl of water in the freezer. If it freezes, your good to go on the fridge (on propane)........don't know what to tell you about the 12v and 110v side. If the propane side works, the rest probably does too.

When you get there, have him light the water heater (be sure it is full of water), it either works or it doesn't. You will see the big flame in the chamber, like a rocket taking off.

Have him turn on the furnace. It should work by turning on a switch at the bottom of the thermostat, then turn the thermo up. It will take a few seconds to light. The blower will come on 1st but be sure that it puts out hot air.

Turn on the water pump, run the water and be sure there are no leaks.

Look at the plumbing pipes behind the left front tire and make sure nothing is broken (it will be obvious if it is). Run the water in the sink and let it go down the drain for ~5 minutes. Then look under the trailer, behind the axle to see if the holding tank leaks.

Have the owner show you how to put the trailer up and fold it down several times, until you are comfortable that everything works and fits right (shower walls, entry door etc).

Lastly........don't screw around because if it's a good deal, it will be gone.
Thanks for the tips harveyrv. I wish I had a bit more time to get one that you were selling couple of weeks ago.
Anyway, it's not a private seller. It's a dealer. TM was a trade in. He does not know a lot about TM's and did not let us close/open it without his mechanics being on site. Hopefully they will be able to find where to turn all those appliances on.
Now question about wood rot. How can I check for that? Dealer told me that TM was in CA last 6-7 years, and it does have CA license plate, and also seem to be very clean completely rust free on the bottom.

Thanks
Old 11-21-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Thanks for the tips harveyrv. I wish I had a bit more time to get one that you were selling couple of weeks ago.
Anyway, it's not a private seller. It's a dealer. TM was a trade in. He does not know a lot about TM's and did not let us close/open it without his mechanics being on site. Hopefully they will be able to find where to turn all those appliances on.
Now question about wood rot. How can I check for that? Dealer told me that TM was in CA last 6-7 years, and it does have CA license plate, and also seem to be very clean completely rust free on the bottom.

Thanks
They know how to turn on the appliances.

Check for water stains on the ceilings or walls. Push on the bottom edge of the roofs. They shouldn't give. I doubt they will let you start removing screws...................

If/when you buy it, come back to this forum for help on any issues. There's not much that can't be repaired if you are at all handy.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
emeded

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
They know how to turn on the appliances.

Check for water stains on the ceilings or walls. Push on the bottom edge of the roofs. They shouldn't give. I doubt they will let you start removing screws...................

If/when you buy it, come back to this forum for help on any issues. There's not much that can't be repaired if you are at all handy.
Thanks harveyrv! I will go today or tomorrow and perform all those test. If I get it I'll post some pics as I go along.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Thanks harveyrv! I will go today or tomorrow and perform all those test. If I get it I'll post some pics as I go along.
The biggest issue that you should take into consideration on that trailer is the tires. If it has a single axle and 14" tires, I would highly recommend installing 15" (load range "D") tires & wheels. If you don't have 15" tires on there now, it will probably require installing a "Lift Kit" between the axle and frame to allow additional clearance for the 15" tires. If it has a dual axle, I'd still install new (load range D) tires (whatever size is recommended) unless the tires are under 3-years-old (check the DOT code on the side of all of the tires).

That's one of the reasons that I recommend checking out the plumbing and holding tank under the trailer. These trailers have a "History" (if you will) of having blow-outs. If a tire blows out, it often takes out the plumbing and damages the holding tank. You may be able to avoid this by being sure of having the highest rated tire that you can put on the trailer.

Many of us have come to the conclusion that the tires that are supplied by the manufacturer may be rated too closely to the actual weight of a fully loaded trailer for camping. Running any piece of equipment, full time, at or above the maximum rating (new) is just asking for trouble.

OH YA!!!! I just thought of another thing that I wanted to mention...............Make sure that the trailer is level when you open it. Being off-level, may be the reason that you were having problems with the bed platforms.

BTW.....I almost hate to ask this but what will you be towing this trailer with? Do you have a Class IV or V hitch with 2" ball? Will your vehicle handle 600# tongue weight? Do you have a 7-pin trailer harness? Do you have a brake controller? (Make sure that the brakes work before you drive away)
Old 11-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #10
emeded

The trailer is not in such a good shape. It's very worn out, and it seem to me that some work has been done under the trailer, but dealer "does not know anything about it". Also I could not check fridge on gas, and by closer examination, shells seem to be very crooked. Even on level ground, those two bed supports could not be put in place. I passed on it. Will keep looking, but defiantly it will be a TrailManor. Only thing that bugs me is that there are not so many on the West coast. I may be wrong but, it just seem to me that's the case.
Thanks for all good input and tips. I will used them on the next trailer check.

emeded.