TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
4seasons

Default what model can I tow with our 2009 V6 VENZA with tow prep?

We used to camp with a VW westie, got tired of the old. Plus we had to put it all away to go any where. So now I'm looking for a self contained, camp in the rain if we have to pop up trailmanor. Just the two of us moving towards retirement. Our Toyota has the same engine as the Highlander with the 3500 lb. tow package (oil cooler, larger radiator fan, larger alternator) Ordered AWD for winter driving for skiing, 109" wheelbase and a length of 189". So how big can I go? Want to drive pretty much anywhere (on roads) and not during the winter. Any comments and a dealer near Seattle would help. After some site research I think can tow at least a 2720SL, maybe a 3124KB?
Old 05-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
Al-n-Sue

There are many posts on towing with a 3500 lbs tow rating. Most opinions are that a 2720 is pushing the limit. I have a 3124 and mine weight in at 4240 lbs so it would be way over your limit. Remember, the tow rating of the TM trailer is DRY weight - meaning no propane, no water, no options (A/C, Awning, etc) and maybe without batteries. do some searching on towing and you should find some info.

There are many who tow a 2720 with a Highlander, Pilot, or Ridgeline - which I think all have the same engine.

And there will be others who will chime in I'm sure.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
PopBeavers

My 2720, fully loaded with water, propane, two batteries and personal gear weighs 3380 on the single axle. Add in the tongue weight and it liklely weighs close to 4,100 total.

I was really loaded up, so you could probably save about 500 pounds from that figure. that gets you down to 3,600 pounds.

If you eat out at restaurants all the time you could save another 100 pounds by eliminating all the dishes.

Leave off the air conditioner and awning will save some more.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

The weight on our 2720 is almost identical to PopBeavers'. In fact, I've added stuff since I last had weighed. 65# worth of solar panels and a 27#, 3" memory foam mattress topper.

My point is.....stuff just keeps adding up.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
rumbleweed

IMHO
Times are tough for all manufacturers and they are all pushing their specs to the legal limit in order to make sales. This true for towing capacity, mpg seating capacity on TVs and RV weight, sleeping capacity for TTs. This means to me it can be done, but there is absolutely no margin for error or emergency. In other words you can probably go for years with no issues, but might regret the decision someday.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:45 AM   #6
mtnguy

I think the Trialmini would be the only unit in the Trailmanor family that I would tow with that vehicle.

http://www.trailmanor.com/WebDocs/up...trailmini.html
Old 05-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
MrTriVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4seasons View Post
... and a dealer near Seattle would help.
Unfortunately, there no longer is a Trailmanor dealer in the Seattle area. Next closest is Camper Outlet near Portland.
MrTriVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
Redhawk

The Highlander has a 270HP V6 and is rated at 5000 lb towing. THe Honda's have different engines which I know nothing about. Is this the engine you have in the Venza? Are you sure the tow rating with the tow package is 3500 ? The Highlander is rated at 3500 with out the tow package and 5000 with......also, can you use a WDH with the Venza?

Nice vehicle by the way!!
Old 05-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
Joseph

Default Venza . . .

Never having seen one I took a trip to their website just to take a peek. After having read the specs I would have to agree with mtnguy. The Trailmini is about all I would try.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
4seasons

Thanks; like everyone I enjoy adding the options. Watching the total weight gain is going to be a carefull study. After reading the posts I may keep the kayaks on the car instead of mounting them on the trailer. Of course now I'm looking at adding solar panels. So I'll be looking at either a fully loaded mini. Or maybe a stripped down 2720SL. I'm planning a trip to the Campmore dealership in Oregon in the next month to get some hands on looking at the models. This will be a long term purchase, so I'm taking some time in the research.
And yes the tow rating is 3500 with the tow package. Engine is 268HP double overhead cam. I'll ask about useing a WDH with the hitch (had to look it up).