TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2004, 02:07 PM   #1
quinault53

Default Old (1984) TM

Okay. I'm new to this popup thing. I've used a tent all my life but now the kids are 3 and 4 and with the dog...well, the family 'tent' just isn't working out so well anymore. I've been researching popup's and I really like the TM, but I don't like the price. There is an old one at a local dealer, a 1984 27'. Does any know anything about the first few production years of the TM's? They want $2900 for the unit; I havn't really checked it out for working appliences and rot or rust yet. Should I or shouldn't I consider it? Yes, no, Run away screaming? Stop being so cheep and spend a little more for a newer model? Thanks! :-\
Old 07-15-2004, 05:04 PM   #2
LATM

Default Re:Old (1984) TM

My advice is to evaluate your potential trailer using the checklist found on Page 4 of the FAQ forum (Picking up that new TM from the Dealer Checklist) developed by efelker. It will be invaluable to you because it looks at the trailer from a longtime owner's point of view. You can also use it to learn more about the design (which has not changed that much from the beginning). Another suggestion is to become a subscriber to this board--That has to be the best $12 I have ever spent!! Good luck, LATM
Old 07-15-2004, 05:15 PM   #3
Red

Pop-up? What's a Pop-up???..... just kidding!...Personally, I would look for something a little newer.
Red
Old 07-15-2004, 07:43 PM   #4
camperboy

Exercise caution. We have a 1990 M-26. Open and close the unit yourself. Does it work easily? Hang up? Look for signs of water leaks or soft spots along the edges of the walls where the framing would be. Check if the wheel wells are damaged. Does everything line up? Do the shells swing too far, past the locking pins that keeps them from moving when the TM is set up?

Our TM had rot similar to what you can see on HappyTrail's website. I have repaired it and found that it isn't a terrible job to complete. I also find that our forward shell is more difficult to open than the rear one. Suspect a torsion bar adjustment is in order, by shimming.

I don't want to scare you away from it, but do your homework. Make sure the appliances all work, they can be expensive. After looking over the TM carefully, I'd consider offering less for it. Perhaps 2000-2500.

And membership to this board is the best thing you can do. I've gotten awnsers here that have helped me fix everything that has come up with the TM. We are very pleased with our 1990 unit.

Camperboy