TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
Scottie Dogs

Default Just a general topic

I was ‘thinking’ today when I took my 2006 TM in the RV shop to have my brakes checked and the mechanic pulled the wheels/hubs/bearings and showed me they were all very bad. Now my used TM is going on 6 years old. The guy said when was the last time you had your brakes checked and how many miles have you been traveling pulling the trailer? I don’t have a clue, how many miles the other people put on it. I am sure this is the first brake job that has been done on it he said, not good.

When new owners buy new do they keep a log on mileage, for resale? Also why don’t the manufacture put a tamper proof odometer somewhere on the trailer so the new people know how many miles it has been traveling on the road?

With all the high tech stuff we use every day, I think this would be a great idea. When you buy a used motorhome you can just look at the mileage.

Now that I got my new brakes I would like to write down the mileage, then as time goes by, I can check when they might be do for a check, but that is a pain. I would like the mechanic put the mileage/date on the wind shield just like an oil change, then the next owner has an idea on the brakes. I think the odometer would be very useful for all of us trailer people when we buy used.

Dave
Old 09-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I don't keep a mileage log, but I do maintain a journal of all of our trips. Using the journal, I can get a pretty good estimate of how far we've towed the TM.
It doesn't take long to keep it up, every time we go camping I usually end up catching on the last trip or two. Works for me.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

What a great idea about an odometer! Wonder why there is not one on trailers?
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:51 AM   #4
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I've noticed these hub mounted odometers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubometer on semitrailers, but never thought about one for a camper. That would be a nice feature.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:50 AM   #5
Joseph

Default Log, yes....

I do keep a log on the TM. How many nights, where, when, round trip miles on each trip. How many miles were on the first set of ST tires and how many miles are currently on and being added to the second set of LT tires and total miles. When (in miles and time) I inspected the trailer, not just the hubs, what was done, parts replaced, etc... Comes from being a tech in the health care environment forever, FROM GETTING OLD.... and so I know what the heck I did and when I did it.....