TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-31-2004, 10:45 AM   #1
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Default Celebrities Spotted

Bumped into (almost literally) Julia Roberts in the doorway at the breakfast joint in Taos a couple of weeks ago.

The bad news is that the friend with me had to tell me who it was or I would never have known.

2003 3124KS drug by 2001 1500 2WD Suburban
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 10:06 PM   #2
Larry_Loo

Red face You're not the only one who doesn't recognize celebrities!

GV, years ago I was in San Antonio, Texas, for a medical school interview. After my wife and I checked into our fifth floor room in the hotel, I went down to the lobby to get a newspaper. When I stepped into the elevator for the trip down, there was a distinguished, somewhat portly man in it. We said "Hello" to each other and then turned our thoughts inward, as all elevator riders do, for the ride down to the lobby. I, however, thought to myself that this guy really, really looks familiar. I was convinced that I'd seen him before but couldn't place him. When the elevator reached the lobby and its door opened, there was a very attractive blonde waiting for the guy. "Hello, Peter," she said and they then walked off arm-in-arm. The bell went off in my head. Of course, "Peter" was Peter Ustinov! We'd read that "Viva Zapata" was being filmed in San Antonio. Our hotel was the base of operations for the actors, actresses and film crew.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:06 AM   #3
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

In the 70's, I frequently stayed at the Ramada in north Nashville. The cast from "Hee Haw" stayed there as well when they were filming the show. Junior Sample was easy to identify, even though I was not a regular viewer (until I got to know the cast and felt I had no choice.) The entire cast turned out to be unpretentious and fun to be around, and I spent many pleasant evenings with them. The sing-alongs were hilarious.

Junior was even easier to find in the hotel bar in the evenings. One night at the bar, we were talking about our hobbies. Junior turned to me and said "Wayne, I fished every day last year except four. One day I was too sick, and the other three I was too drunk."

Old 09-08-2004, 06:03 PM   #4
TandemKids

Default Celebrities spotted

Back in the 70s, my Dad and I were in the bricklaying business together. We were working on a house in Salado, TX. and one day at lunchtime, while we were sitting in our truck, two men walked up behind us and began looking at our brick saw. Dad asked me, "who is that talking?". I looked in the rearview mirror and then replied, "I don't recognize one of them, but the other one is Lee Marvin." After they finished looking at our saw, they walked by the driver's side door, and Lee said in his distinctive voice, "Hello, men." We said hello in return, and then Dad said to me, "That REALLY WAS Lee Marvin." The owner of the house later confirmed that Lee usually came to Salado a couple of times a year to visit a friend who was a local doctor.

When we got home, and I told my wife about it, she scolded me for not hopping out and asking for his autograph. While it was happening, I was more interested in eating my lunch than getting an autograph.

Michael
Old 09-08-2004, 10:39 PM   #5
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Michael,

We'll be in Waco this weekend seeing the grandkids, staying the the TM while there. Call us if you are in town and want to visit. I'm responding here because I don't know if the private message thing works since you show up as a trial member, whatever that is. Cell is 214-415-4848

Wayne

Old 09-15-2004, 07:00 PM   #6
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Default Seen a couple myself...

When I lived in SF I saw Dan Blocker, who played Haus Cartwright in Bonanza, outside the St. Francis. This was probably in the late 60's. No way you wouldn't recognize him!

When we lived in Los Gatos, we saw John Travolta, he had a cast on his leg. Our friend said hi to him and he said hi back. We saw him drive off with a good looking woman in a MBZ convertible, with his casted leg stuck out the window area. This was in the 80's.

Supposedly, Tom Cruise has a house not far from where we live. I think I saw him drive off one day in a Porsche with a dark haired woman, but I'm not sure. When we had AAA come out to our house one day, the tow truck driver was telling my DH about how Tom had given him a big tip after a call to tow his Ferrari, like a fifty or hundred dollar bill and autographed it for him. Could just be rumors!!
Old 12-07-2004, 10:38 AM   #7
kchamb1206

Default Julia Gets Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-V_Driver
Bumped into (almost literally) Julia Roberts in the doorway at the breakfast joint in Taos a couple of weeks ago.

The bad news is that the friend with me had to tell me who it was or I would never have known.

G-V,

In 1992 I was at a shooting range in Spring Texas when I noticed a really good looking girl in the lane next to me. When my eyes finally got to her face, it was Julia Roberts and Lyle Lovitt.

MaineMan
Old 12-07-2004, 12:10 PM   #8
Larry_Loo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchamb1206
G-V,

In 1992 I was at a shooting range in Spring Texas when I noticed a really good looking girl in the lane next to me. When my eyes finally got to her face, it was Julia Roberts and Lyle Lovitt.

MaineMan
What do you mean by "FINALLY got to her face?" Isn't a woman's face the first part that you look at? ;-D
Old 01-17-2005, 03:00 AM   #9
tucsoncarol
Site Sponsor

Default Actor/fan flip-flop

When I was a kid, my family traveled all over our beautiful state of Arizona. One day we were in the (then) ghost town of Jerome when a very tall, very distinguished man approached my dad and asked if he could take a picture of my brother who was goofing off (as always) with an old safe, pretending to "crack" it. Dad said sure, and after posing several ways (no ham in my bro' at all), the man thanked us and walked away. The buzz was all over town by then that Buddy Ebsen was that man. What a striking figure he was! So gentlemanly, very soft spoken. We learned later that he was an avid ghost town prowler. Needless to say, somewhere in his photo album of that visit are pictures of my bro' goofin'.
tucsoncarol is offline   Reply With Quote