TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-15-2008, 11:57 PM   #1
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Default I need a stove top toaster

I've been using the inexpensive folding stove-top toaster sold in just about every camping store known to mankind....the $3-$5 version, and it's worth just about that. It's turned rusty, and the wires that fold up to form the rack are very picky. And it only toasts so-so. Anyone out there using one they like?

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
Joseph

Default Skillet toast . . .

Hey ShrimpBurrito....

Always like reading your thoughts on here by the way . . .

Just a idea here....

When camping I make something I call skillet toast. I place a pad of butter ( sometimes it is a big pad... or two.... ) in a warm skillet and throw a slice of bread on top. Swirl once or twice around the pan. Modify amount of butter and time in the pan to suit. I take the leftover hamburger and or hot dog buns from the nights cookouts before and use them. They do not have to be turned over. Regular slice bread I do both sides. Takes a little longer than a toaster but it tastes good. And like most things that taste good it is more than likely bad for you....

Happy Camping!
Old 10-16-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
Hey ShrimpBurrito....

Always like reading your thoughts on here by the way . . .

Just a idea here....

When camping I make something I call skillet toast. I place a pad of butter ( sometimes it is a big pad... or two.... ) in a warm skillet and throw a slice of bread on top. Swirl once or twice around the pan. Modify amount of butter and time in the pan to suit. I take the leftover hamburger and or hot dog buns from the nights cookouts before and use them. They do not have to be turned over. Regular slice bread I do both sides. Takes a little longer than a toaster but it tastes good. And like most things that taste good it is more than likely bad for you....

Happy Camping!
I think some people refer to this as fried bread.

We have one of those stove top toasters. You put it on a gas burner and it sits there like a TeePee and you can lean 4 slices of toast on it. We bought ours in 1978 so it is pretty rusty. I don't recall the last time we used it.

I should get a small electric toaster for when we have 5+ people camping. I think my Honda 2000 generator could power it.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:33 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

In most campgrounds, you can't run your generator before 10:AM, That sorta rules out the electric toaster on the generator. It also rules out the electric coffee maker and the microwave oven. We do all that from our 2, 27 series deep cycle batteries. Of course, we have to run the generator for 8 hours to make up for it. I put the generator in the shell in our P/U. You can hardly hear it run.

We run our electric toaster off of our 2500W inverter. It only draws 1500W for about 60 seconds. That's only 25 watts.

Of course, if you don't have an inverter, that's another issue. We love our inverter and wouldn't be without one again. It also makes a nice place to stow our extra awning brace.......

Old 10-16-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
dlkcub

Default Toaster

Is this want you are talking about? I've used one for years. You should be able to buy one at most places that sell camping supplies.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-toaster/23458
Old 10-16-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlkcub View Post
Is this want you are talking about? I've used one for years. You should be able to buy one at most places that sell camping supplies.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-toaster/23458
I think this is probably what Dave has and wants a better alternative. We had an old one, it got rusty, so we bought a new one. I seasoned it with cooking oil before I put it into the camper (like you do with a cast iron pan) and so far it hasn't rusted. If you keep it in a ziplock bag it should help stop it from getting rusted. I'm actually pretty happy with the way ours works over our gas stove in the TM (way better than on the Coleman stove). I flip the pieces of bread over and over so they brown evenly. It is messy, however.

We have a 1000w inverter, but I doubt it would power a toaster. That might be an interesting experiment.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
dlkcub

Your right. I misread the question. I thought he was looking for a place to buy a new one.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Thanks for all the comments, everyone!

Yes, the campingworld link above pictures the one I have now. I thought about oiling it, but frankly, it seems more work than I want to take on -- I want to be lazy while camping. Plus, oil collects dirt, which means I'll have to clean it occasionally, and this is counter to my laziness.....I'm not sure storing the toaster in a plastic bag is a good idea -- it may keep some moisture out, but it will also trap moisture in. I think that's why cast iron manufacturers specifically recommend against keeping their product in plastic.

So means it has to be made out of aluminum or stainless.....and maybe titanium. West Marine has a stainless model:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...4&ci_sku=28178

...but the one review isn't particularly positive, but that may have something to do with the fact that they used an alcohol stove....not sure why that would make a difference, except perhaps that maybe it burns hotter. But that's only one review. Also, it only toasts 2 slices at a time.

Here's another stainless one, but it definitely does no more than 2 slices, and maybe only 1.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catal...il.cfm/GSI1077

I could also probably make toast in the oven, but toast made in the oven at home seems dried out. Haven't tried it in the broiler yet....haven't used the broiler at all yet for that matter. Seems too close to the food, and awfully painful to clean.

I always dry camp, and don't have a generator (and don't really want one), so running one on a generator or on an inverter is out. Very wasteful of battery power.

Dave
Old 10-16-2008, 08:53 PM   #9
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
We run our electric toaster off of our 2500W inverter. It only draws 1500W for about 60 seconds. That's only 25 watts.
I think I like the way you mounted the inverter. I assume that when the front shell is closed that it does not hit it. Sure keeps it out of the weather and secure when stored.

I always wondered where I would mount one if I wanted one. With batteries on the tongue that is the perfect location.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Ok, this would be super ideal if it folded, but I'm not going to be greedy. Unfortunately, this retailer is in New Zealand (shipping is $40+, and I haven't been able to find one domestically. Anyone interested in one so we could split the shipping costs?

http://www.smartmarine.co.nz/sided-s...er-p-1090.html

I did find this one domestically, but it's only a 2-slicer.

http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/prod...displayID=1805

I'll have to keep the fried bread idea in reserve.....that might be tasty, not on a regular basis though since I'm trying to keep my trim figure.

Dave