TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-19-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Question Uncomfortable couch

This forum is a treasure to TM owners.

In general we don’t sit on the couch much but last winter we spent a few days at the coast during a stretch of nice weather. The short days resulted in our spending hours reading on the couch between darkness and bedtime. By the second night we were both complaining about the discomfort. Placing a pool noodle at the bottom of the lower portion of the backrest creating a better angle and sitting on a pillow helped immensely.

The foam seems soft to me and am wondering if it could be age (TM: 2006 and we have spent over 300 nights in it) or lack of quality in the foam used for the couch. When you sit you can feel the support beam underneath. I think this is a least contributing to the situation but wonder how much is due to design. I remember seeing some discussion here about the comfort of the couch; angling the back was one suggestion. It looks like I didn’t bookmark the tread and was unable to find it in a search.

DW thinks pool noodle and pillow are an adequate solution as we don’t sit on it much. I am considering having the foam replaced but don’t want to waste money if I still have to sit on a pillow to be comfortable.

Does anyone have a link to prior discussions or insight into this problem?

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
campernurse2012
Site Sponsor

I put a 2”firmer foam underneath my seat cushions and this seems to help a lot , I also didn’t want to spend a lot on new cushions just yet. We have an 05 2619.
Texas
campernurse2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #3
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Your timing is perfect. We had our sofa foam replaced last fall. Most of our winters are spent in AZ (since 2004) and as result a considerable amount of time is spent on the sofa. If you are bottoming out when seated it is time to replace the foam. And like you have discovered, a small pillow or some type of lower back support does help with the comfort level.

I removed the sofa, arm rests, angle iron supports and seat back in preparation for foam replacement. And while that part was being done we purchased new cover material. With the new foam (much firmer than the OEM) my wife and I find it a lot more comfortable - without the need for additional back support. So if you are thinking of replacing the foam go for a much firmer piece.

A local upholstery gentlemen did the work and it turned out nicely.

I have photos of the process and will post a link sometime in the next few days.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #4
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

My solution was a bit extreme - I yanked both couches out... LOL
Old 07-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #5
Larryjb
TrailManor Master

Holly,
I never noticed this before about your reno, but since last year I've become a lot more aware of structure and stability of the TM. The original couch framing would have provided stability for the curbside wall. I am wondering if you screwed down the bookshelf to the floor and wall to improve the structural rigidity of the curb side wall?

(If it were me, I would have just replaced the foam, but that's because of the kids. )

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:39 PM   #6
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
Holly,
I never noticed this before about your reno, but since last year I've become a lot more aware of structure and stability of the TM. The original couch framing would have provided stability for the curbside wall. I am wondering if you screwed down the bookshelf to the floor and wall to improve the structural rigidity of the curb side wall?

(If it were me, I would have just replaced the foam, but that's because of the kids. )
Yes, the little bookcase is indeed screwed into the wall, and the floor, using L brackets. Generally speaking, this is enough support for opening/closing of the door, etc. However, I feel that it probably does not provide enough support for traveling down the road, so I tend to unscrew it from the wall. Not always, and when I haven't, it doesn't appear to do anything. But, I live on a dirt road, and traversing it is rather bumpy. So rather than have the inevitable shifting strip the screws out of the floor, or wall, I often take the screws out of the wall. It only takes a couple of minutes. When the trailer is closed, I don't think the support of the wall to floor is needed, since that lower shell wall is enclosed by the upper shell wall. I could be wrong, and long term I could be doing some sort of damage.... I guess time will tell.

My German Shepherd is 106 lbs of wicked long legs. There just WAS NOT enough floor space for him with those two couches. Since it's just me now, the couches weren't necessary any more. I wouldn't have done it while the kids were still home & camping with me.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:32 PM   #7
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Dick,

Thanks for the information. The fabric shows almost no wear so I was wondering if it just could be that the foam used was soft and uncomfortable from the start or detreated over time. Your comment about bottoming out being a sign the usefulness of the foam has passed was helpful. I am glad to hear it was more comfortable when new.

Do you have any idea what grade of foam was used on reupholstering your couch? I suspect it could have just been standard foam used in couches and just felt “much firmer”. Did you ask for something other than what would normally be used as a replacement? I ask because I knew I wanted something much firmer than what I have now but was a little concerned that if I asked for something like that I might end up with something too firm. While researching replacement bed foam I learned there are a lot of different qualities and firmness in foams.

Can you give me a ballpark figure on what you payed to have it done? I have only been able to find one upholsterer in my community so it will be difficult to get bids.

Thanks again,
Roger

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:44 PM   #8
Larryjb
TrailManor Master

When I wanted to recover my dining room chairs, I went to a furniture shop and they cut me proper apholstery foam to fit. It is more dense than regular foam, and probably more expensive. For the cushions, place the foam in a heavy duty plastic bag, pull the foam over, then pull the plastic bag out. It's a little tricky when the foam is zipped along the back, but it can be done.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:32 PM   #9
bheisser

etrailer $500 better but not great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	couch.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	17245   Click image for larger version

Name:	down.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	17246  
2017 Silverado 1500
Anderson 3324 WDH
bheisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #10
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Lesherp,

Sorry for the response delay. I am in the process of locating the photos of our couch seat foam replacement. The job was done by a local upholsterer instructor as part of his class. It did take a bit longer for the work to be completed. I am having a problem locating the photos of the foam used as a replacement. I need to contact the individual to get the type of foam he used. I will say the new foam is thicker and firmer than the OEM. We found it a lot easier to sit at the opened tables with the thicker foam. It is not so firm as to impact our comfort level.

I hope to have the photos showing how the couch seat is supported, as well as the arm rests ready by Friday.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote