TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #11
JOEALAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Bill, thanks for seeing that some of my advice to JOEALAN might have caused him problems if he did what I suggested. I am always appreciative of others on this forum with more knowledge commenting on some of my misinformation.

FYI, the 2003s, at least the 2720s made before March, did not have accesible when closed power cords.

Chap
Thank you Chap for all your help. Look like I'll take Bill's advance and buy a smart charger and connect to the Bargman (Learn something new today, name of pig tail) connector. It seems to be the best way to go, at least for us (meaning me) amateurs.

Joe
Old 01-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Joe -

Here's a kinda dopey question. Where is the battery located on your 2619? If it is on the tongue, you can simply use clamps directly on the battery posts - no need to fiddle with the Bargman.

On the other hand, if it is inside somewhere and you want to get a little more elaborate, you could permanently mount the Guest charger near the battery, and permanently wire the charger's output to the battery. Now bring the charger's AC power plug out to someplace where you can get at it when the TM is closed.

On my 2002 2720SL, the battery was mounted in the rear outside compartment. I screwed the smart charger to the compartment wall, wired it to the battery, then drilled a hole in the compartment floor and dropped the charger's AC power cord down into the bumper compartment. Since the bumper compartment cover can be removed even when the TM is closed, I could simply remove the cover and plug the charger's cord into an extension cord.

A bit more of a pain to install, but from then on, really easy to use. You can kind of see it (item 7) over on the right in

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...4771#post14771

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Bill, thanks for seeing that some of my advice to JOEALAN might have caused him problems if he did what I suggested. I am always appreciative of others on this forum with more knowledge commenting on some of my misinformation.
Chap
Chap - your info was good - don't feel a need to apologize for any of it. You described connecting AC so you could pre-cool the refrig for 24 hours before leaving on a trip, and that's a different question from connecting AC so you can put the charger on the battery for a long term.

Not everyone is aware of the shortcomings of that particular converter, and that's what we're here for. As RockyMtnRay used to describe it, one function of a moderator is to be a kind of corporate memory.

Bill
Old 01-07-2008, 02:59 PM   #14
JOEALAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Joe -

Here's a kinda dopey question. Where is the battery located on your 2619? If it is on the tongue, you can simply use clamps directly on the battery posts - no need to fiddle with the Bargman.

On the other hand, if it is inside somewhere and you want to get a little more elaborate, you could permanently mount the Guest charger near the battery, and permanently wire the charger's output to the battery. Now bring the charger's AC power plug out to someplace where you can get at it when the TM is closed.

On my 2002 2720SL, the battery was mounted in the rear outside compartment. I screwed the smart charger to the compartment wall, wired it to the battery, then drilled a hole in the compartment floor and dropped the charger's AC power cord down into the bumper compartment. Since the bumper compartment cover can be removed even when the TM is closed, I could simply remove the cover and plug the charger's cord into an extension cord.

A bit more of a pain to install, but from then on, really easy to use. You can kind of see it (item 7) over on the right in

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...4771#post14771

Bill
Dopey? I'm the one who is feeling dopey. Never been mechanically incline or electric wise. Really looking for a simple solution.

My one and only battery is located on the tongue.

Bill thanks for all of your help.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:52 PM   #15
larsdennert

My '03 2720 also doesn't have the accessible cord. So Im' wondering when I camp with hookups for a week, is my converter overcharging the batteries all week? That doesn't sound very smart.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #16
Bill
Site Team

Using a 6300-series charger, charging for a week won't hurt it, especially if you are using the electrical system, which tends to keep the voltage stable. The problem with the 6300 series charger is that although it doesn't charge very hard, it never quits. If you leave it for a month without a load to stabilize the battery, you may come back to an overcharged or dry battery.

A garage-type charger will be much worse. I really don't recommend those for any more than a few hours at a time.

Bill
Old 01-08-2008, 12:14 PM   #17
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdennert View Post
My '03 2720 also doesn't have the accessible cord. So Im' wondering when I camp with hookups for a week, is my converter overcharging the batteries all week? That doesn't sound very smart.
lardennert, you beat me to the question. I had thought about PMn Bill for his ideas on the 6632 converters, then thought I would just post the question for all to see just in case others have that model.

Thanks Bill,

Chap
Old 02-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #18
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I took Bill's advice and bought a Guest trickle charger for my 2720SL. Since my batteries are in the back compartment, I routed some new wires for the charger directly from the battery down through the floor and into the bumper compartment and then into a small tuperware container. Once in the container, I terminated them with a a car alternator connector, and soldered the mating connector to the battery charger.

Now when I want to charge the batteries and the unit is closed, I just pop open the bumper compartment, take the lid off the tuperware container, and hook up the charger.

BTW, the best deal by far on a pretty decent Guest charger was from a company I've never heard of: BriJo Marine....$85 + free ground shipping (or $6 for 2-day air) for the Guest 16061, which is a 6 amp/12v 1-bank charger. Talked with the guy on the phone, and it was here 2 days later.

There are different settings on the charger for acid, gel, and AGM, and it has an LED indicator to tell you which of the 3-stages of the charging process it's in (bulb, absorption, or float). Very easy to use...been very pleased.

BriJo's link is here: http://www.brijoinc.com/marine/index...product_id=490

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #19
SCBillandJane

I just purchased a 2003 3124KS and the battery is under a kitchen cabinet next to where the standard chair sits in the living room. It is vented to the drivers side of the trailer, so I am assuming that it is a standard location for that year and model. I purchased a Wallmart group 27 trolling motor battery which is the biggest that will fit. I do have the 6300 charger.
Question 1 Any suggestions better than going through the bargeman connecter.
Question 2 Anyone have an idea how long the battery could stay with the parasitic loads from the safety monitors, not be charged, and not damage the battery? I would take the battery out over the winter.
Question 3 If the bargeman is the best answer, what do you use to connect it to the charger?
Question 4 Using the bargeman, wouldn't that still go through the 6300 to the battery. Would I be gaining anything if I got a smart charger to connect through a bargeman.
I hope the above questions make sense.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:16 PM   #20
Bill
Site Team

SCBJ -

Good questions all. I think you have made a truly excellent choice for a battery, and you are aware of the 6300 charger problems. So you're on the road to battery happiness.
1. "Going through the Bargman connector" for what purpose? I assume you mean that you would have an external charger, and feed the charge to the battery through the Bargman while the TM is in storage, right? If I've misinterpreted your question, please let me know and we'll hit it again. My answer is that a better action is simply to disconnect the battery before you close the TM. A fully charged battery will go several months without much self-discharge if you remove all external loads. On the other hand, if you would prefer not to disconnect the battery, and if you are really more comfortable keeping a charger on it (nothing wrong with that), then the Bargman is an excellent way to feed it.
2. How long without a charger, but with the parasitic loads? Answer - not long. Let's ball-park it. Your battery is probably rated at something like 80 amp-hours (AH). The parasitic load is something like 1/2 amp if you have a radio installed. Therefore, to discharge the battery to 50% of charge (and you don't want to go much lower than that) would take 40 AH / 0.5amp = 80 hours. About 3 days. It could be longer, maybe a week - but that is still pretty short. That's why it is so nice to disconnect the battery.
3. How to connect the charger via the Bargman. The easiest answer is to buy a Bargman mating connector, and hook the charger into that. The connector will be called "the car half" or something like that, and it makes the trailer think it is plugged into a car. Available from WalMart, etc.
4. Bargman is through the 6300? No. The 6300 (or any trailer converter's battery charger) converts AC power (house or shore power) into 12-volt power to charge the battery. If you don't connect the trailer to AC power / shore power, then the 6300 just sits there like an anchor, doing nothing. The connection from the Bargman to the battery is direct. The 6300 plays no part.
4a) Smart charger - yes, a smart charger (3-stage, they're called) would connect nicely through the Bargman, and would be kind to your battery. Remember, though, that many el cheapo manufacturers use the term "smart", but unless the unit costs $60-$100 or more, it ain't.
4b) The best answer, for storage times of a few months, is to simply disconnect the battery.

Hope this helps.

Bill