TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-24-2023, 12:36 AM   #71
DanSTL
Site Sponsor

My 2009 2720 has a WFCO converter and plug is accessible while closed, just curious on a couple items

1. Is keeping it plugged all winter the best way to maintain battery and
2. are there any negative impacts for the trailer in this case?

Thanks
DanSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 08:37 AM   #72
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Many RV converters will overcharge the battery if left connected for an extended period of time. The old Parallax converters were notorious for this, and I believe the WFCOs will also do it. Instead, I would suggest a good quality Battery Maintainer (not a trickle charger). There are a number on the market. My personal choice (and it has worked well for me) is a Battery Tender
www.batterytender.com
I have used the small (Junior) 0.75 amp unit for years with good success. Others prefer to add a little more margin and get a larger one.

Make sure your TM battery is fully charged, then turn off everything in the TM, connect the maintainer to the battery posts, close the TM, and go away. If your battery is on the tongue, this is pretty simple. If your battery is in back, you can connect the maintainer battery clamps, run the 12-volt cord out the compartment door, close the TM down, and connect 120 VAC to the maintainer. I had no access to the rear of the TM in storage, so I made an adapter that let me plug the maintainer into the TM's 7 pin Bargman cord up on the tongue. That lets me connect and disconnect at will, and also lets me see the maintainer's state-of-charge light.

Take a look at this thread

https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ad.php?t=16098

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 02:10 AM   #73
DanSTL
Site Sponsor

Thanks Bill. I’ve got a Noco that should maintain it just fine and appreciate it
DanSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 04:25 PM   #74
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Parallax and WFCO have the opposite problems (overcharging versus leaving too low)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Many RV converters will overcharge the battery if left connected for an extended period of time. The old Parallax converters were notorious for this, and I believe the WFCOs will also do it. Instead, I would suggest a good quality Battery Maintainer (not a trickle charger). There are a number on the market. My personal choice (and it has worked well for me) is a Battery Tender
www.batterytender.com
I have used the small (Junior) 0.75 amp unit for years with good success. Others prefer to add a little more margin and get a larger one.
A battery tender (or alternate high-quality brand) is best.

Nearly all of the various generation of WFCO Converter units quit charging when the batteries are still a bit to low. That doesn't cause damage as quickly as overcharging (like the older Parallax units did), but it's not as helpful to battery lifespan as a good trickle charger.

Lithium batteries are different, and should be kept at lower state-of-charge for long term storage.