TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 03:24 AM   #1
Tampajohn

Default Camping in 12 degree weather, Help

Leaving Saturday from Tampa to Lansing, Michigan. Checking weather and they said it might get to 12 degrees while we are up there. We will be gone for two weeks. Any suggestions. I want to stay in the camper everynight, but will we freeze to death? We stay at different houses (all family) and can go in, but prefer to stay in the TM. Read post about winterizing, but hope it will be warm enough during the day while we are traveling not to freeze and will have heaters going at night to prevent freezing. We have the furnace, a Mr. Heater, and a couple of electric heaters. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Never camped below 25 degrees before. If we hit snow, we are going home. John.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:36 AM   #2
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

John
the dw is allways cold if below 70 :d
ended up in some cold a couple time, heaters do a good job, but i found a electric blanket under you on the bed solves a big problem from the cold air under the bed

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

one of the members camped in Utah during the winter a couple of years ago, he had a good thread on winter camping.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
kempert
Site Sponsor

I've slept in my TM when it was in the mid-10s and the heat (furnace, ceramic heater, & Mr. Heater) did the job. I only used the 3rd choice when awake out of concern for the lack of O and the potential build up of CO. If the wind is blowing hard, I don't think you have to worry about those problems as much. My older TM has many drafts (it's a little out of alignment due to a big crash) and I'll find out if the newer one is tighter in a little over a month.

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Tampajohn

Default Thanks for help

Mr. Kemper, I see nomad for 5 months. Do you stay in your TM. We plan on doing that this year. 2 weeks to Michigan in March, June-2 months to L.A. and back to Florida, and the Oct or November on the road til March. Should be interesting year. Florida to Michigan to follow leaf change and the back to L.A. and then back to Florida in March of 2014. Curious to see how we, (wife and I and two dogs) and TM hold up. We traveled 4 months in an Aliner last year.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
thewayneo

Location: Evergreen, Colorado. Halfway between Heaven and Paradise at 8,100 ft altitude.

Hi John—95 percent of my camping is in the winter, the best time to camp!. I've winter camped in several different RV's and TM is not the best winter camper by far. But staying warm is not a problem with a Big Buddy Mr. Heater, I use it 24 hrs/day connected to the 20lb tanks. Probably won't work with the 1lb canisters. If you can stand the noise of the furnace and can refill tanks often, use it too. I tried a 120 volt heater one time, and Olympian 3, then 8, but none has the heating power of the Mr Heater.

Your water system is a bigger problem. I've learned that about 20 degrees at night is where those crazy drains hanging outside will freeze solid. The freeze creeps up the pipes and then the shower plumbing freezes first. A water heater bypass and pump winterizer kit easily solves all this but you probably aren't equipped. This is just the “tip of the iceberg” of what you need to know about winter RV water. So, being new to winter camping and since you say you can park at friends houses I STRONGLY recommend you not water-up the system this first trip. Bring a 5 gallon jug of fresh water for hand washing, coffee, etc and put a gallon of non-toxic RV antifreeze in the grey holding tank and you're good to go. Shower with your friends.

Then you've got to be prepared for snow on the roof. I carry half of a 16-foot extension ladder, and a snow rake. If not, you might be immobile 'til spring thaw!

There's more so we can phone if you want.

wayne

2006 2619, with REAL Flush Toilet (Sealand), NEVER ANY HOOKUPS!!!
Five-inch lift, Goodyear Marathon 15" Made in USA!
2005 Ford Explorer V8 -- WDH w/active sway
1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
thewayneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I will second the advice about an electric blanket as a mattress topper. Wife and I spent a couple of weeks winter camping in northern AZ and temps got down to the 20's. The warm blanket made the cold bed much better to sleep on. We also added a small ceramic electric heater placed in the hallway to the bedroom. The furnace is a little loud at night and with the combo of blanket and electric heater, did not need the furnace. I assume your plugging in to your family's house. You should not be pulling very many amps but I would find a dedicated 20a circuit separate from the interior of the household.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
moaboy

Any chance of staying in Florida?
We just returned from a new house in Florida and I am ready to go back- now!
Old 02-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
rumbleweed

Check with the friends where you plan to stay as I assume you plan to plug in there if you are staying in the TM. Most homes are not wired for more than 15/20 amp circuits in the garage or external outlets. This will limit the number of electric appliances ( heaters, blankets, etc) you might want. You may also need a heavy duty extension cord. Standard 25/50 ft utility extension cord will not cut it. I second the don't charge the water system comment.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
kempert
Site Sponsor

John -
I spend about a month and a half in southern TX or FL during the beginning of the year and spend about 3 and a half months in the western mountains. I've stayed in the TM in VA when it's been in the teens with strong winds. When it's below 30 I use water jugs and RV anti-freeze in the drains & tanks. The Mr. Buddy (JR?) Heater hooked to a 20# tank can really make it toasty. I've hosted (w/ & w/o shore power) in the mountains of WY, CO, & UT without any problems with staying warm (inside the TM).

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote