TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #21
Brifla

Quote:
2. I have a couple of the older 8 1/2 X 11 brochures. In them they say that the 3023 is "our most popular model". So, I asked them why they no longer make that model. I was told that the rising gas prices in the past few years have caused a market shift to more and more TV's with a 3500 lb tow weight. As a result their sales leaders are now the 2619 and 2720 model.
That's interesting. When looking for a used TM, I was attracted to the 3023 vs the 2720 because of the higher capacity axle and standard 15" tires (perhaps a reason the 3023 was so popular years ago). However, there is only a 50 lb difference in dry weight between 2720SL and the 3023 (2865 vs 2915 lbs). Given that small difference, I don't see a 3500lb tow vehicle rating being a factor in choosing between those two models. How an individual loads out the TM is a much bigger driver than the dry weight difference. Simply adding a 2nd deep cycle battery to the TM adds more than 50 lbs.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #22
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I chose my 2720sl for three primary reasons (over other TM models): one, tow with a 3500# TV; two, SL models have a lot of floorspace, especially if you remove the lounge chair; three, regardless of the 50# difference, the three feet of length difference means I can store this 2720 in my garage, vs. a 3023 that would never have fit. That's > $2500 savings per year for inside my garage storage vs. outside storage on a lot miles from my home. Big difference, not one regret.

Outside of the mileage, easy towing, etc. that TM promotes, I would definitely play up storage and floorspace, as these were the primary deciding factors for us.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #23
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
Had some interesting conversations at the Salt Lake RV show about why dealers don't / won't carry TrailManor trailers. Two dealers had sold them in the past. Two others had not but knew about the product.

You could lump their reasoning into three categories and most expressed all three:

1. TM is very expensive compared to comparably built traditional trailers and that is a showstopper for 95% of potential buyers.
2. TM is a niche product. Actual buyers are typically people who already know about them and come to the dealer looking specifically for a TM. Those buyers are few and far between compared to buyers for traditional trailers.
3. TMs don't move in the volume of other trailers. So if a dealer is making a decision about allocating floor space to a trailer which will move over a TM that will take much longer to sell, it's a no brainer.

One of the dealers noted that the TM dealers who sell the most are small specialty shops, not larger dealers.

Another said that TMs are a PITA to demo - you have to open them up, close them down and explain all that this entails which is often quite confusing to a buyer. Much easier to demo a traditional trailer. You unlock the door and let the people in.

Thought all this was interesting.

Keith
I find this interesting since I don't have a problem paying more for an item that "WORKS" and and does what I want it to do. I also don't make a buying decision based on how many other people own them. (I've been a Mac computer owner since 1987 so you understand where I'm coming from.)
What will change my mind, and has me considering another brand of camper, is the fact that the closest TM dealer is two states away.
I have a full service Camping World RV center about 40miles from my house, and many other smaller dealers closer. If any of them sold TMs it would be a done decision. They don't, so I'm considering other brands simply because of the lack of TM dealerships/support in my area.
The movie line "If you build it, they will come." comes to mind here.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #24
ThePair
TrailManor Master

How much support do you feel you need? My dealer stopped selling TMs very, very soon after my purchase--in fact, I may very well have been his last sale. But, this doesn't concern me. I figure most of what will need to be done can be done by the local guy (wheels, bearings, appliances, etc.) and anything that's TM specific, I'll just need to either do myself or figure it out if/when the time comes.

What kind of work, specifically, have people needed done that would require a TM dealer to do it?
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #25
happybeebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
How much support do you feel you need? My dealer stopped selling TMs very, very soon after my purchase--in fact, I may very well have been his last sale. But, this doesn't concern me. I figure most of what will need to be done can be done by the local guy (wheels, bearings, appliances, etc.) and anything that's TM specific, I'll just need to either do myself or figure it out if/when the time comes.

What kind of work, specifically, have people needed done that would require a TM dealer to do it?
Yes,a lot of people only buy a used TM so the warranty is really not a factor anymore. That is why this forum is so great for backup. Now if it cannot be fixed then yes you have your nearest RV dealer that can probably repair or replace any name brand appliance. If your TM gets hit in an accident nine chances out of ten it will be declared a total loss and it will be handled with your insurance company so the dealer again will not be involved. Mine is old enough that I carry no insurance on it(has liability from TV) and considering what it would cost me to repair, will take the hit and just part it out and buy another more recent TM as we really like them.

Bob
Old 02-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #26
ED-n-KEL

[QUOTE=ThePair;91066]How much support do you feel you need?/QUOTE]

I'm speaking about buying NEW since that's what the thread was about. If I'm going to pay $30k for something new, I expect support, not in the drive for a day, spend a night or two in a hotel on my dime, drive back in a day support, but convenient support.
How many of us would go buy a new $30k car from a dealer 2 states away? Not many I assure you.

Don't get me wrong, as I tried to convey, if I like/want an item, I'm willing to do what needs to be done, etc, but this issue is certainly one of the main "speed bumps" that TM faces.
The "masses" (90% of people) are basically lazy and ignorant. They don't want to research anything about anything they buy. They want to go to JoeBlow Mart and buy the pink one because it's 10% off and go home with it that day. They are not interested and researching why a TM is priced the way it is, etc, much less drive 2 days just to see or put their hands on one.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #27
Scottie Dogs

[QUOTE=ED-n-KEL;91070]
Quote:
How much support do you feel you need?/QUOTE]

I'm speaking about buying NEW since that's what the thread was about. If I'm going to pay $30k for something new, I expect support, not in the drive for a day, spend a night or two in a hotel on my dime, drive back in a day support, but convenient support.
How many of us would go buy a new $30k car from a dealer 2 states away? Not many I assure you.

Don't get me wrong, as I tried to convey, if I like/want an item, I'm willing to do what needs to be done, etc, but this issue is certainly one of the main "speed bumps" that TM faces.
The "masses" (90% of people) are basically lazy and ignorant. They don't want to research anything about anything they buy. They want to go to JoeBlow Mart and buy the pink one because it's 10% off and go home with it that day. They are not interested and researching why a TM is priced the way it is, etc, much less drive 2 days just to see or put their hands on one.
I have been camping for so many years and I agree with you on a new TM. But when you buy used which I did we have all the help right here. We have to remember the TM fits into just a small group of people maybe 5% of the RV world.

My main priority was no storage and easy towing, and have a wonderful living area. I agree again with what you are saying, big trailer with 3 slides and the whole shot it is just what you want in your RV life style that is great. The TM is a total unique trailer and it make us very happy and proud to own one and very proud to pull into the fancy RV parks and set it up. There are pro & cons on things in life so go for what you really enjoy.

Lots of people don’t like Scottie dogs and that is fine, but to me they are great just like my TM, but that is just me.

Dave
Old 02-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #28
PopBeavers

We bought a brand new 2005 TM 2720. Trips to the shop have been:

1. minor warranty work that I could have done myself, but I am too lazy and sometimes break things. The most important item was demonstrating how to pop the top of the stove off to clean underneath.

2. I replaced the kitchen faucet. It leaked. I gave up and let Camping World fix it.

3. While towing off-road I pulled a granite basketball out of the ground using the TM battery tray on the front. The rock won the fight. I used a local RV repair center to re-manufacture the battery tray.

4. Formica on the perimeter of the counters became nicked due to my carelessness. I have no experience with Formica. I let Custom RV in Anaheim, 360 miles away, do the work.

5. Awning fabric tore. I also wanted to add an over stove cabinet. I took it to Custom RV again.

None of these repairs required a TM dealer to perform. The most difficult was probably installing the cabinet, because if you drill holes in the wrong place it could become a problem. I chose Custom RV specifically because they have done that many times.

Custom RV frequently attends the West Coast TM Rally. They perform some minor repairs onsite, including adjusting shell height and torsion bar tension. That level of service is hard to beat.

For anyone that has to pay for RV storage, parking the TM in the garage saves a lot of money. How to get that message out better is unknown to me.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #29
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

[QUOTE=ED-n-KEL;91070]
Quote:
How much support do you feel you need?/QUOTE]

We bought new from a dealer in Tx, the TM hasn't been back to dealer. The closest dealer to us and I don't see eye to eye. My experience is warrenty work is A. never convenient; B. usually isn't done right. I do my research and then bought from the dealer with the best price no matter how far away.
If I have the skill I fix it myself. If I don't it goes to some who does.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #30
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

We have only had ours in to the dealer for service once - a gas line leak in the oven. Presumably any RV dealer could have dealt with this. Our local dealer is gone now too, as is the 'phantom dealer' that was announced nearby but never opened.

As long as there is not a problem with the lift mechanisms, the lack of a dealer nearby does not worry me too much. As someone said, with the age of my trailer, any accident is going to total it out.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote