TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2021, 09:07 PM   #1
DennisB

Default Damp under mattress

Hi, we recently found dampness underneath the mattress of our 2020 trailmanor.
There is no obvious leak. We have been in pretty cold weather and using our heater quite a bit. I wish to avoid the nightmare of mildew so I am asking:
1. Anybody here experienced this?

2. If so, how can it be prevented?

Thanks,
Dennis
DennisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 01:10 AM   #2
rich2468
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisB View Post
Hi, we recently found dampness underneath the mattress of our 2020 trailmanor.

There is no obvious leak. We have been in pretty cold weather and using our heater quite a bit. I wish to avoid the nightmare of mildew so I am asking:

1. Anybody here experienced this?

2. If so, how can it be prevented?

Thanks,

Dennis
Hi Dennis,

Yes. This is a fairly common experience.

I purchased a product called DEN-DRY Mattress Underlay from Amazon and have been happy with it so far (one season's use).

Others have mentioned using similar material as well as exercise mat.

420Ah LiFePO4 battery bank, kilowatt solar, 3K Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter, DC-to-DC Charger, Sealand 711-M28 toilet, Maxxis 8008 Load Rated E
rich2468 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 10:47 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisB View Post
We have been in pretty cold weather and using our heater quite a bit.
Dennis -

What kind of heater are you using? The TM's built-in furnace, or a propane heater of your own? When propane burns, one of the products of combustion is water vapor. The TM's furnace is vented outside, so none of the water should end up inside. But an unvented propane heater, either open-flame or catalytic, will produce considerable water vapor, which then condenses on cold surfaces such as the bed base. If you are using such a heater, it is helpful to crack a window or ceiling vent just a bit when the heater is operating. Yes, you will lose a bit of heat, but getting rid of the water is probably worth it.

Another source of water is, of course, the shower and the kitchen sink when you wash dishes. And yet another is your own body, either through sweat or breath. As you have noted, this water tends to show up under the mattress, since it is near the source.

I have not used the DenDry pad, but Amazon says is not an absorber. Instead, it allows the air to circulate under the mattress, so the moisture doesn't collect there. But the water vapor is still inside the camper, so as it collects, it still needs to be removed. It can either be vented by cracking a window, or an actual absorber product, such as DampRid, can be set out on a countertop.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 11:35 AM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I wonder if insulating the space under the mattress might also help, which could easily be done by adding a foam mattress topper. We have a 1" thick topper, and often camp in the winter (where it can be in the 20s-40s), and while there can at times be water dripping down the insides of the windows, particularly when cooking, we have yet to have any condensation under the mattress.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 03:21 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

I mentioned Damp Rid, which (I think) is a one-time use thing. In other words, use it until it is full of water, then throw it out and replace it.

There is a similar product which might be better. It is called a renewable (or reusable or rechargeable) silica gel dessicant. You use it until it changes color, which indicates it is full. Then you microwave it or warm it in an oven to drive off the moisture, and reuse it.

Silica gel is the stuff that comes in a little paper tube in a bottle of vitamins, for example, so you know it is safe to have around. For RV use, you would buy a cloth bag of the stuff and hang it up. When it changes color, you heat it until the original color returns, and then rehang. Or buy two bags (they are cheap) so you always have a dry one when you need it. Some of them come with a decorative hanging container - some are just a basic bag. Look around Amazon.

The interior volume of a TM is roughly 1000 cubic feet, so think in those terms when you go to buy.

Bill
Old 12-29-2021, 02:00 PM   #6
DennisB

Default Damp under mattress

Thank you all for your replies-we ordered a dri-den and will also start using a silica absorbent product-Bill, you mentioned leaving a window open…that is something we have always done until this recent cold spell-for the first time, we closed all the windows and vents. I bet that contributed a lot to the problem.
Thank you all for your assistance.
Dennis
DennisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 08:06 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

The window or ceiling vent doesn't have to be open very far - just a crack. The natural air circulation will remove the damp air - slowly. But after all, the dampness is being generated very slowly, so a small circulation will do the job. No need to open a window wide and lose all your heat.

Bill
Old 01-10-2022, 08:55 AM   #8
prodesign

i got the tip from several other people who rv... and they said they've been using this and works like a champ. just picked up a roll before last trip and didn't notice any condensation under the mattress. just roll it out and cut to fit. easy fix for $23

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-R...5-ft-L/3011904

2020 2720QS
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
prodesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:22 AM   #9
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

I've used reflectix for years under the bunks in a pop-up to good effect. There is also a solution popular in the boating world (If there is a place for condensation and humidity it's on a boat)

Simply buy a sheet or two of plastic lattice work (like you'd find in a garden fence) and place that under your mattress. Works like a charm!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Deckorators...ttice/50280313
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:41 AM   #10
MrGallegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodesign View Post
i got the tip from several other people who rv... and they said they've been using this and works like a champ. just picked up a roll before last trip and didn't notice any condensation under the mattress. just roll it out and cut to fit. easy fix for $23

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-R...5-ft-L/3011904
I did this, thinking it would help hold in the heat, but I am glad to read that it also helps reduce condensation.