TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
funpilot
TrailManor Master

Default Neverwet for bathroom walls

I am presuming the shower walls are not suppose to get wet so other than the mods posted here I am wondering if this spray product might work.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleu...8146/205160314

There is another 2 part application from Rustoleum but it dries milky white, so I do not think that would be a suitable option. I am not looking for it to replace the shower curtain, only to be a protective barrier for any water that might get on the walls otherwise.
Dometic 1110 Compressor Refrigerator
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Yada Wireless backup camera
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #2
Wingedryder

Smile Never wet for bathroom walls

Funpilot,

I like your thinking, but this "Never wet" product reminds me too much of "Scotch Guard" that can be effective for a while on fabrics, but I don't think it's practical for hard surfaces. I personally don't think either would adhere nor last on a solid, hard surface like the TM's shower walls.

However, I've used spray-on products by the name of "Clear Glaze" or "Clear Cover" made by Krylon & Rust-Oleum over painted exterior surfaces such as the "James Hardie Board" siding on my house that also replace the wood on my decorative plant shelves that protrude from the front of my house. [James Hardie cement board is NOT recommended for horizontal applications as it is more susceptible to moisture absorption, and can therefore crumble. I wasn't aware of this at the time of installation]. Well, sure enough, the painted shelving ended up peeling and exposing the cement board after rains, and especially winter snows. So, last fall I sprayed a couple coats of this clear coat sealant over repainted shelving and, so far, they've resisted moisture penetration and/or peeling that would have been evident by now!

Since you mentioned your concern for protecting the TM's shower walls from the effects of moisture over time, I'm wondering if this type of easy-to-apply clear sealer might be durable enough, and yet harmless to the TM's shower walls. My wife has used this type of clear sealer on painted wood, canvas, & plastic crafts for years and not noticed any yellowing nor peeling. It could be reapplied easily enough periodically if necessary, as long as it didn't have any deleterious effects (though don't know if as effective on unpainted surfaces). Just a thought, if I understood you correctly!
Wingedryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:34 AM   #3
funpilot
TrailManor Master

Wingedryder, you did correctly understand my thoughts. Does anyone know exactly what our wall surfaces are made of so I can research what kind of clear coating might work?

The "Neverwet" product appears to come in two flavors. One that takes two different products and multiple sprays but dries milky white, and the one I linked that dries clear. The former gets nasty reviews on Amazon because of how it discolors the surface. I have not seen any comments on the latter that talks about discoloration, but how long it lasts.

I am looking for a solution like this as I want to use the shower head on the hanger but that will mean the shower curtain will be slightly open there. Even if I use clamps to close it at the seam, I am sure the walls will still get wet. So, to avoid trouble, I am looking for a product to protect the walls from getting wet.
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Old 02-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #4
ArkyDoodle

Has anyone tried this product:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleu...5495/203165633

TM - 2014 2417KS SilverTrail --- SOLD
Purple Line Enduro Caravan Movers
ArkyDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Funpilot -

I'm still not sure why you expect the walls to get wet. Mine don't, and I use the simple chip-clip approach. I'll take a photo next time my TM is open.

However, given that a waterproof coating is needed, I think the discussion is getting too elaborate. There are any number of products that can be applied to most any surface including wood, paper, etc. They go on clear and dry clear, are waterproof and long-lasting, don't yellow, have a gloss (or matte) finish, can be applied from a spray can or brush-on - everything I think you are looking for. My suggestion is to go to the Krylon web site and rummage around. With just a very few clicks, I find products like clear polyurethane (maybe the best choice), Krystal Clear, and crystal clear acrylic, which should do what you are looking for.

Krylon products are available in hardware stores, big box stores, and hobby/craft stores, and are inexpensive (less than 10 bucks a can). And many stores have an equivalent house brand for even less money. I think there are several solutions available to you. Take a look - I think you'll be pleased.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:28 AM   #6
funpilot
TrailManor Master

Bill, great advice. Thanks as always!!
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Old 02-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Funpilot -

I hit the SEND button a little too fast. To answer your other question, I think the walls are made of the same sort of material as the stuff that surrounds the kitchen sink. I seem to recall cutting it (or did I gouge it?), and found that it is some kind of pressed wood product with a paper coating like wallpaper, probably glued on. Others may have a better memory than mine.

Bill
Old 02-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #8
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

I wonder if the newer models have a different coating on the bathroom wall. Mine don't seem to be bothered at all being wet, they dry off quickly. I did the bathroom mod so I have one clear plastic shower curtain that will "stick" to the wet walls. Sort of counter intuitive to have shower walls that are unable to be wet!
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #9
GolfingDebby

As an experienced hobby spray-painter, I would not advocate spray painting in the trailer. The over-spray goes everywhere and you can not control it. It would get on the sink, windows, mirror, ceiling, etc even if they were covered.
GolfingDebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Good point, Debby. I didn't think of that. A brush-on product, such as clear polyurethane, would be a better choice.

Bill